• Mobilicity upgrading entire network to 4G / 21 Mbps

    Mobilicity upgrading entire network to 4G, will enable download speeds of up to 21 Mbps - mobilesyrup, June 14

    Mobilicity announced today that a major upgrade to their network is happening. They are increasing from the 3.5G network to a 4G network that will deliver “enhanced data performance with peak download speeds of up to 21 Mbps.” There’s no confirmed date as to when the upgrade will occur, only that it’ll go live “later this year.”

    Mobilicity moving to 4G - CNW, June 14

    Mobilicity today announced plans to upgrade its unlimited 3.5G network to 4G later this year. The company confirmed customers can look forward to enhanced data performance with peak download speeds of up to 21 Mbps.

    "We continue to invest in our network infrastructure as demand for our affordable, unlimited data service grows at an incredible rate," said Mobilicity President and Chief Operating Officer Stewart Lyons. "Mobile broadband is the future; it already accounts for almost 90 percent of traffic on our network and we're committed to providing a quality user experience."
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Mobilicity upgrading entire network to 4G / 21 Mbps started by pjw918 View original post
    Comments 116 Comments
    1. heccubus's Avatar
      heccubus -
      Anyone care to speculate about what the 'real world' speeds might be -assuming "up to 21 Mbps " is maximum theoretical dl?

      Sent from my Nexus S
    1. icemasta's Avatar
      icemasta -
      No offense to Mobilicity but I hope upgrading the network also means lifting the 2Mb down throttle they have now.

      Also didn't Stewart say this summer on twitter for the upgrade.
    1. Phone Guy 4567's Avatar
      Phone Guy 4567 -
      Quote Originally Posted by heccubus View Post
      Anyone care to speculate about what the 'real world' speeds might be -assuming "up to 21 Mbps " is maximum theoretical dl?

      Sent from my Nexus S
      I usually got 9 Mbps on Fido, some areas up to 11 Mbps. I think with Mobi we can expect a lot less then that.
    1. ECBomb's Avatar
      ECBomb -
      Great. Now we will be limited to 100 Mb/10 mins instead of 15 mins before we get throttled.

      On a more serious note, they're still using 1700 MHz on AWS after the upgrade right? Sorry if that's a noob question.

      Sent from my Panache using Tapatalk
    1. endlessdayz's Avatar
      endlessdayz -
      Quote Originally Posted by ECBomb View Post
      Great. Now we will be limited to 100 Mb/10 mins instead of 15 mins before we get throttled.

      On a more serious note, they're still using 1700 MHz on AWS after the upgrade right? Sorry if that's a noob question.

      Sent from my Panache using Tapatalk
      For now they will have to as the spectrum that they bought in 2008 is the only spectrum that they own.
    1. bluenote73's Avatar
      bluenote73 -
      I can only assume this is going to come with backhaul upgrades and that they will revamp their limits.
    1. endlessdayz's Avatar
      endlessdayz -
      Quote Originally Posted by bluenote73 View Post
      I can only assume this is going to come with backhaul upgrades and that they will revamp their limits.
      yeah, the back haul seems like the cause of the problems they are having. Now that they have learned their lesson they hopefully will not use that same technique when they deploy LTE
    1. heccubus's Avatar
      heccubus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phone Guy 4567 View Post
      I usually got 9 Mbps on Fido, some areas up to 11 Mbps. I think with Mobi we can expect a lot less then that.
      Sorry, my understanding of cell networks is non-existent. Why would it be a lot slower than fido?

      Sent from my Nexus S
    1. endlessdayz's Avatar
      endlessdayz -
      Quote Originally Posted by heccubus View Post
      Sorry, my understanding of cell networks is non-existent. Why would it be a lot slower than fido?

      Sent from my Nexus S
      Because Mobilicity doesn't have the money or the spectrum or both to provide continuous high speed network connection speeds. That is my guess.
    1. icemasta's Avatar
      icemasta -
      Quote Originally Posted by heccubus View Post
      Sorry, my understanding of cell networks is non-existent. Why would it be a lot slower than fido?

      Sent from my Nexus S
      Lack of available bandwidth and backhaul are definite limitations of both Mobi and Winds network.
    1. eblend's Avatar
      eblend -
      I assume devices like the Lumia 710 would not be able to take advantage of this updated network correct?
    1. endlessdayz's Avatar
      endlessdayz -
      Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
      I assume devices like the Lumia 710 would not be able to take advantage of this updated network correct?
      The Lumia 710 has maximum download of 14.4 mbps. So it will be able to take advantage of most of it. I don't know of any Mobilicity device that is capable of 21 mbps
    1. Big Ang's Avatar
      Big Ang -
      Mobilicity will still be using HSPA technology, not LTE. The Lumia 710 has a maximum download speed of 14.4 Mbps and a maximum upload speed of 5.76 Mbps.

      Even though it is not as fast as 21 Mbps, I have no doubt you will see a large improvement in speed. Plus I doubt any phone will regularly see downloads close to 21 Mbps when the improvements kick in.
    1. Dx3's Avatar
      Dx3 -
      Quote Originally Posted by endlessdayz View Post
      The Lumia 710 has maximum download of 14.4 mbps. So it will be able to take advantage of most of it. I don't know of any Mobilicity device that is capable of 21 mbps
      HTC Amaze is 42Mbps capable, as is the Galaxy Nexus I believe.
    1. eblend's Avatar
      eblend -
      Excellent, thanks guys, wasn't sure if this was going to be LTE or not, sounds like not, which is great news for me at least
    1. Thucydides1987's Avatar
      Thucydides1987 -
      I suppose upgrading to 4G would be a good thing, but wouldn't it be nicer if they invested that money on coverage expansion instead...? Are there not far more pressing issues for Mobilicity than whether they have 3G or 4G? Personally, a good 3G network that consistently covers a decent area is preferable to a 4G network operating over a small and patchy home zone.
    1. endlessdayz's Avatar
      endlessdayz -
      The technology is still 3G. They are just making the network run faster which is needed if they are hoping to attract and keep more customers.

      Sent from my Transformer TF101 using HowardForums
    1. Helloo's Avatar
      Helloo -
      If mobi can give me their capped speed of 3mbit at normally congested areas, downtown toronto, I will be happy.
    1. heccubus's Avatar
      heccubus -
      My Nexus S has a max dl speed of 7.2 Mbps and 5.76 up.. I'd be happy with that

      Sent from my Nexus S
    1. artekds's Avatar
      artekds -
      Finally after months of rumors and speculations it is official now, I hope they upgrade before the end of this summer, need a new phone now !!!