• 8 Cores! My Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+ review


    These days, pretty much all smartphones come with multiple processing cores. I canít remember the last phone I tried that had less than 2 cores. Correct me if Iím wrong but all phones sold in North America had 4 cores or less, that is till now. The Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+ is now available with a whopping 8 processor cores which you can all use simultaneously. Yes, EIGHT cores.

    If you donít know what that means, let me explain that to from a marketing perspective; 8 cores is double the number of cores in a 4 core and four times as many as a 2 cores.

    Itís the follow-up to the Alcatel OneTouch Idol X which I checked out a couple of months ago. The X+ is available from Koodo for $300 while its $350 on TELUS.

    The way I see it, at $300 the Idol X+ has 1 main competitor the Samsung Galaxy Note II - admittedly because itís also $300 outright. I donít recommend buying the X+ at $350.

    One other interesting point about the X+ is that it comes with a 2 year warranty which is not common in this industry.

    What about Samsung Galaxy Note II:

    While the Note 2 has been out for nearly 2 years now, in terms of capabilities itís still a match for many mid-range phones. On top of that, Samsung hasnít abandoned the Note II and is still keeping it updated. Itís currently up to Android 4.4.2 now.

    The Note II also has a larger 5.5Ē 1280x720 display though it isnít as sharp as the Idol X+ís 1920x1080 5Ē display. You also get a stylus on the Note II which is still the best on the market, NFC and a bigger 3100mAh (vs 2500mAh) battery.

    The Note II also supports LTE while the X+ doesnít.

    Otherwise, the Idol X+ edges it most other measures.

    Specs:
    • 5Ē 1920x1080 IPS display
    • Gorilla Glass 2
    • 13/2 megapixel cameras with 1080P video capture
    • 8 core MediaTek MT6592 SoC
    • 2GB RAM
    • 16GB storage
    • MicroSD
    • Quad-band HSPA (850/900/1800/1900)
    • 2500mAh
    • Android 4.4.2


    Body:



    The back of the Idol X+ has a really interesting finish.



    It has a circular grooved pattern on it which is covered with a thick clear coat so that it has a smooth finish. Itís quite striking. If you pick up a X+ watch out, the clear coat scratches quite easily.



    The sides have a metal finish, itís quite slick but the seam lines in the corners kind of ruin the look.

    The power button is on the top right. This isnít the greatest place for it because itís awkward to reach for it when youíre holding the phone. Itís too bad Alcatel couldnít put it on the side of the phone like they do on the X+ís brother the Idol S 2.

    There are capacitive menu buttons on the bottom. Iím not fond of these because I found myself pressing them by accident a lot - especially when Iím using the phone with one hand.

    Speaking of one handed use, I wish the bezel were a little thicker because the palm of my hand would touch the screen a lot when I reach across the screen with my thumb.

    The small bezel also makes the X+ unpleasant to type on with 2 hands.

    If youíve used the Idol X, the Idol X+ is actually a bit thicker because the back cover has more of a bulge to it.


    There's a MicroSIM card slot on the left


    Headphone jack and power button on top


    MicroSD and volume buttons on the right


    Microphone, speaker, MicroUSB on the bottom.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 8 Cores! My Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+ review started by howard View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
    1. Poseidon's Avatar
      Poseidon -
      I bet it is a great review. I stopped reading after you said that 8 was quadruple of 4......
    1. howard's Avatar
      howard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
      I bet it is a great review. I stopped reading after you said that 8 was quadruple of 4......
      LOL thanks for pointing that out.
    1. ijcy's Avatar
      ijcy -
      I would say the nexus 5 and or the Oneplus one are much better choice at this price point, correct me if i am wrong.
    1. dragon2knight's Avatar
      dragon2knight -
      Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
      I would say the nexus 5 and or the Oneplus one are much better choice at this price point, correct me if i am wrong.
      I could not agree more...although the One+ is almost impossible to get without jumping through some stupid/annoying/idiotic hoops while the Nexus is the real deal here. All told, though, I'm mighty impressed by this latest effort from MediaTek. it's everything they promised it would be and should find it's way into better phones soon enough. Nice review, Howie
    1. intlbizman's Avatar
      intlbizman -
      i stopped reading when it said no LTE
    1. dragon2knight's Avatar
      dragon2knight -
      Quote Originally Posted by intlbizman View Post
      i stopped reading when it said no LTE
      Well, depending on where you live, LTE doesn't make that big a difference in download speed, at least not enough to miss it if it isn't there. Standard 4G speeds are more than good enough for streaming video with no slowdown or surfing the web with no problems. LTE is a power drainer to boot and, to me at least, isn't a deal breaker if it's not implemented on these lower end phones.
    1. intlbizman's Avatar
      intlbizman -
      Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
      Well, depending on where you live, LTE doesn't make that big a difference in download speed, at least not enough to miss it if it isn't there. Standard 4G speeds are more than good enough for streaming video with no slowdown or surfing the web with no problems. LTE is a power drainer to boot and, to me at least, isn't a deal breaker if it's not implemented on these lower end phones.
      LTE doesn't drain power on its own. It's the searching and dropping of LTE that drains battery. But your point is taken. Sometimes LTE is so slow it's useless also, i.e. in the Rogers Centre Skydome... Telus has LTE but nothing works.

      I do disagree with 4G speeds... in Toronto, the 4G I get isn't fast enough for HD video streaming.
    1. dragon2knight's Avatar
      dragon2knight -
      Quote Originally Posted by intlbizman View Post
      LTE doesn't drain power on its own. It's the searching and dropping of LTE that drains battery. But your point is taken. Sometimes LTE is so slow it's useless also, i.e. in the Rogers Centre Skydome... Telus has LTE but nothing works.

      I do disagree with 4G speeds... in Toronto, the 4G I get isn't fast enough for HD video streaming.
      Good points all. But as they say, location, location, location. It all depends on where your at. I'm in NYC, NY, lots of towers and lots of speed on 4G. I almost didn't notice any real improvement in speed when I got an LTE phone, it was really that good. When I leave NYC, of course, things change, usually not for the better
    1. futurephone's Avatar
      futurephone -
      Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
      I could not agree more...although the One+ is almost impossible to get without jumping through some stupid/annoying/idiotic hoops while the Nexus is the real deal here. All told, though, I'm mighty impressed by this latest effort from MediaTek. it's everything they promised it would be and should find it's way into better phones soon enough. Nice review, Howie
      It is a nice review, I agree! Just want to say for any who may have missed the news that the OnePlus is supposed to go into preorders in October, so no more invites to bother with then.
    1. jattdesi's Avatar
      jattdesi -
      Quote Originally Posted by intlbizman View Post

      I do disagree with 4G speeds... in Toronto, the 4G I get isn't fast enough for HD video streaming.
      That's because you are Probably on Rogers Network. Shared Robust HSPA+ Network of Telus/Bell is Smokin Fast. So this Phone should have no issues with out LTE
    1. intlbizman's Avatar
      intlbizman -
      Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
      That's because you are Probably on Rogers Network. Shared Robust HSPA+ Network of Telus/Bell is Smokin Fast. So this Phone should have no issues with out LTE
      It's funny you made an erroneous assumption when the answer of which carrier I'm on is right there in every post. (look right)
    1. jattdesi's Avatar
      jattdesi -
      ^I did re-read your post no where you directly mention you are on Bell or Telus. Lets just say you did mention it, which is why I always use the word 'probably' in my Replies
    1. intlbizman's Avatar
      intlbizman -
      silly goose! it's a part of the profile!
    1. nelly_85's Avatar
      nelly_85 -
      Hey Howard you totally forgot to mention that this phone also comes with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty....so it is guaranteed to last you two years! Let's see Samsung or HTC or apple do that....
    1. howard's Avatar
      howard -
      Quote Originally Posted by nelly_85 View Post
      Hey Howard you totally forgot to mention that this phone also comes with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty....so it is guaranteed to last you two years! Let's see Samsung or HTC or apple do that....
      That's an excellent point which I was going to put in my review but forgot.