Samsung just announced some updates to their Note line and the Galaxy Gear watch.
First off is the Galaxy Note 3. A 5.7" update to the Note 2.
- 5.7" Super AMOLED display
- 2.3Ghz quad-core processor (LTE version)
- 1920x1080 display
- 8.3mm thick
- 3200mAh battery
- 13 megapixel camera with 'smart' stabilization - not sure if that's true stabilization or just digital stabilization
- category LTE (up to 150Mbps download speeds) with support for 'up to' 6 LTE Band pairings.
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB or 64GB of storage
- coming to: Bell, Mobilicity, MTS, Rogers, SaskTel, TELUS, Videotron and Wind later this year
It will be available in black, white or pink. The rear covers are made from leather and can be replaced with other colours. There are also back covers with a metal finish.
The S-Pen software has been beefed up. Now when you press the button on the S-Pen and tap the screen it brings up a mini launcher that lets you launch certain S-Pen related functions including:
- Action Memo - a memo pad with hand writing recognition that can launch relevant apps depending on what you wrote.
- Scrapbook - a place you can organize screen caps you've taken with the S-Pen. screen caps including where you took them (like the url).
- Screen write - lets you screen cap and then write on it.
- S Finder - lets you search for stuff including stuff you hand wrote
- Pen Window - lets you use the S-Pen to multitask
It has the ability to playback 24bit 192kbps high quality audio.
Video is captured at 1080p at 60fps and up to 4K video (not sure how long)
Looks like an exciting device. Anyone planning on picking up one of these?
The Galaxy Gear is Samsung's smart watch
It notifies you of incoming messages and shows you information using the Smart Relay feature. It has a built-in speaker so you can make calls. There's hand-free voice recognition if you speak into the Gear which can be used to compose messages, setup calendar entries, set alarms and check the weather.
It has a 1.9 megapixels camera which can capture photos or video. Finally it has a built in pedometer.
Inside you'll find:
- 800Mhz processor
- 1.63" Super AMOLED 320x320 display
- 1.9 MP camera
- 4GB of storage
- 512MB RAM
- 315mAh battery
- 2 microphones
- 36.8 x 56.6 x 11.1mm
- many optional coloured straps
- available later this year
It looks like it requires a phone for full functionality. Personally, I think it will do well in the market but personally I'm not sold on the idea of a Smartwatch - especially if it requires a phone. I suppose if you have a gigantic phone like the Note 3 you might need it if you don't have 2 free hands to use it but I don't see why I'd want to use it the rest of the time.
Finally, Samsung announced the Note 10.1 2014 Edition. It's an update to the Note 10.1 and includes a 2650x1600 display, 3GB of RAM and up to 8 cores.
It will be available in 16/32/64GB sizes. There are LTE, WiFi and HSPA versions but we'll be getting the WiFi only one here in Canada.