On January 30th Sprint will be adding a $10 fee to smartphone data costs.
· Smartphone customers on average consume an estimated 10 times more data than customers who use feature phones.
· Worldwide, mobile data traffic is forecast to more than double each year through 2014.
· Instead of limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint is applying its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all smartphone activations beginning Jan. 30, 2011.
· Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.
· Sprint defines smartphones as devices with robust operating systems bringing the full function of mobile applications and programs to life including Blackberry, Android, Windows Mobile, Palm, and the Instinct family of devices.
· While the $10 Premium Data add-on charge previously only applied to 3G/4G devices, it was never simply a charge for 4G. The charge has always been to address the increased costs associated with operating phones that offer a richer data experience on Sprint’s network.[/QUOTE]
Sprint Press Release