Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "motorola usb modem" recognized, but phone won't connect

Feedback Score

"motorola usb modem" recognized, but phone won't connect

When I installed various software and drivers to connect my Razr V3m to my computer, it only recognizes the phone as a usb modem and nothing else, thus none of the file transfer software works... how do i get my win xp comp to recognize this as a phone and not a modem?

Phones
    I730, I850, I870, I930
    RIP I700, I1000, I85, I60, I90 and I95
    Carrier
    SEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    you have to dowload the drivers for your phone, try harrythompson.com

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The P2K programs don't need phone-specific drivers--just the standard driver package you can find links to in the wiki here (assuming your phone is GSM and not CDMA).

The problem might be the same one that I and at least one other V195 user have had--when connecting for the first time after installing a P2K program, Windows gets as far as trying to install a "USB Composite Device" and then complains it can't find usbccgp.sys, at which point you have to either point it to that driver (which you probably don't have) or abort the installation. If you abort the installation, then look in your Device Manager, hopefully you will see "USB Composite Device" listed with the ! in a yellow triangle* (meaning it didn't install correctly). The next step is a registry edit.

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Enum\USB, look for a key that shows "Motorola Phone (V3M)" or something like that on the right side next to (if I remember right) DeviceID. At the bottom, Service should at that point say usbccgp. You'll need to change that to usbhub (you may have to change the permissions for that key to do the edit first), then click OK, exit the registry editor, and reboot. Upon connecting again, Windows should be able to successfully install the phone as a USB Composite Device--there should be about 3 components that install.

*If you don't see "USB Composite Device" listed at all in your Device Manager, uninstall any P2K programs you've installed, delete any registry keys associated with "Motorola Phone (V3M)" and ONLY those keys, and start over.
    Last edited by Telyx; 09-20-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Phone
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carriers
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Telyx
    The P2K programs don't need phone-specific drivers--just the standard driver package you can find links to in the wiki here (assuming your phone is GSM and not CDMA).
    And the V3M IS CDMA.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fif4evr
    When I installed various software and drivers to connect my Razr V3m to my computer, it only recognizes the phone as a usb modem and nothing else, thus none of the file transfer software works... how do i get my win xp comp to recognize this as a phone and not a modem?
    What exactly are you trying to do? What software are you trying to use?

You have a V3M, so I'm assuming Verizon, as I've seen no mention of any other carrier selling that model. So you'll also want to keep in mind the limits verizon places on their phones (like disabling the compaitibilty with MPT's MultiMedia Studio)

As you get started.. its also important to know....

CDMA phones (what Verizon, Alltel, Telus, Bell Mobility uses) are NOT the same as GSM Phones (like T-Mobile, Cingular, etc)...

Most of the hacking tools and tutorials on the Net for GSM Phones do NOT work on CDMA phones...

P2KCommander does work (if you have PST or MSU running in the back ground)... but gives some volume name failed errors, and such... and its P2KAutoStart app needs to be disabled... (v3.22 and v3.26 seem to be the most stable for CDMA phone users). NOTE: P2KCommander doesn't show hidden files/folders.

The SD modified P2KSeem works perfectly... (but again, needs PST or MSU running)... This is because it was modified but superdavex to work on the CDMA phones!!

The rest.. P2KTools, P2KManager, P2KMenu Editor, MotoKit, etc.. either do NOT work, or have MAJOR PROBLEMS on CDMA Phones... While the flash/flex backup utils "appear to work" they do NOT produce a VALID output file that can be used to flash another phone...

Seem Edits are different between GSM and CDMA phones, the seem file number, etc... are different... there are more tools available to do seem edits in the GSM world.. in the CDMA we have only 1... the SD Modified P2KSeem (aka P2KSeem for V710)...

So.. be careful of what you read... if it doesn't specifically say CDMA or V710, E815, V3C or V3M, its probably something for a GSM MOTO which is not going to be accurate for you, and could end up messing up your phone!!

Suggested reading... the FAQ, PC Software, and HOW TO's pages at http://mark.cdmaforums.com
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 09-20-2006 at 06:38 AM.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    And the V3M IS CDMA.
    Thanks, Mark_Venture. There are so many V3whatevers now... can't keep up...

Feedback Score
    In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Enum\USB, look for a key that shows "Motorola Phone (V3M)" or something like that on the right side next to (if I remember right) DeviceID. At the bottom, Service should at that point say usbccgp.
    I don't even have the Enum directory in system.

I'm just trying to transfer music to my phone, but the program that Verizon (yes verizon, poor choice) gave me won't recognize that my phone is connected at all. It just thinks it is a modem, as I said. Has anybody had the problem of it only seeing it as a modem?

Feedback Score
    I found the registry info for my phone, but it is all related to it as a usb modem and not as something i can transfer files to

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, since Mark_Venture mentioned your phone is CDMA rather than GSM, I'll have to say (in my best Gilda Radner as Emily Litella voice), "Never mind."

Feedback Score
    well, i got it to connect, but bitpim will not recognize that the phone's there, and whenever i try to sync with windows media player it shuts down...

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    well, i got it to connect, but bitpim will not recognize that the phone's there, and whenever i try to sync with windows media player it shuts down...
    Synching with WMP is an issue...
    See item 1A on the HOW TO's at http://mark.cdmaforums.com

IN addition, see some of the comments in -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3&page=2&pp=20

As for BITPIM... there is a BITPIM link with info at http://mark.cdmaforums.com as well. Because there are some limits due to Verizon, plus the V3M is not directly supported by bitpim...

Feedback Score
    thanks i'll give it a shot

Feedback Score
    bitpim listed my motorola usb modem option under unusable ports... and so it still wont pick up that there is the phone there

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    bitpim listed my motorola usb modem option under unusable ports... and so it still wont pick up that there is the phone there
    and you have made sure you have no other software running (that uses the phone)?

and have you tried (while bitpim is open)... unplug the phone... power it off, then back on, then plug back in?

Keep in mind, for ring tones and pictures, BitPim will not be able to ADD unless you seem edit the phone....

Feedback Score
    In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Enum\USB, look for a key that shows "Motorola Phone (V3M)" or something like that on the right side next to (if I remember right) DeviceID. At the bottom, Service should at that point say usbccgp. You'll need to change that to usbhub (you may have to change the permissions for that key to do the edit first), then click OK, exit the registry editor, and reboot.
    This is wrong and potentially dangerous advice -- in Windows XP, the composite class generic parent (as in "ccgp") bus filter driver is usbccgp.sys, not usbhub.sys. In Windows 2000, the same .sys file (usbhub) performs both functions.

I don't know what happens if you try to load usbhub as the generic parent of a composite device on XP. Probably nothing good.

Additionally, messing with the permissions and changing registry keys in the SYSTEM hive can leave you with a system that won't boot up any more (it's happened to me -- you've been warned..)

If you have a phone that won't enumerate automatically (using the USB\COMPOSITE compatible ID) as a composite device in P2K mode, the correct approach is to use the motcomp2k or motcompxp INF files.
    Last edited by a1b2c3d4e5; 09-20-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast