Phones
    LG VX9800
    LG VX8300
    LG VX6000 (US Cellular)
    Carriers
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Verizon vs US Cellular (in WI)

Just want to provide some feedback for those looking at new cell service in the WI, N. IL area.

1) Verizon uses US Cellular towers in most areas

2) Signal strength of US Cellular is slightly greater

3) US Cellular voice quality is significantly clearer. Verizon calls sound compressed and digitized. It's choppy when you get out of metropolotin areas. Breaks up a lot more.

4) I personally like Verizon's service, EV network and phone options. US Cellular really lags beind in sophistocation.

5) Often when I am in an area where I pick up both the EV and 1X networks(and this is disturbing to me) the phone will automatically switche from the EV network to 1X the instant I go to make a voice call.

FWIW, my personal phone is Verizon, my work phone is US Cellular. I carry both with me. It's easy for me to compare the two. I like Verizon, I can live with the quirks. Quality isn't bad enough to make me switch because I have other phones. If it was my only phone, I'd think long and hard.

PS I don't work for Verizon. Just adding feedback since I couldn't find any comparisons prior to signing up with Verison.

Gruni

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (Since March 2002)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruni
    Just want to provide some feedback for those looking at new cell service in the WI, N. IL area.

2) Signal strength of US Cellular is slightly greater

3) US Cellular voice quality is significantly clearer. Verizon calls sound compressed and digitized. It's choppy when you get out of metropolotin areas. Breaks up a lot more.

4) I personally like Verizon's service, EV network and phone options. US Cellular really lags beind in sophistocation.

5) Often when I am in an area where I pick up both the EV and 1X networks(and this is disturbing to me) the phone will automatically switche from the EV network to 1X the instant I go to make a voice call.

FWIW, my personal phone is Verizon, my work phone is US Cellular. I carry both with me. It's easy for me to compare the two. I like Verizon, I can live with the quirks. Quality isn't bad enough to make me switch because I have other phones. If it was my only phone, I'd think long and hard.

PS I don't work for Verizon. Just adding feedback since I couldn't find any comparisons prior to signing up with Verison.

Gruni
    In southern Wisconsin, USCC will do better because they have only the A side cellular band covering that part of Wisconsin. Verizon Wireless only has the Milwaukee, Madison, Sheboygan, & Green Bay markets covered with their PCS network, and Ozaukee County Wisconsin has that poor of coverage once you get off of I-43. There are 2 counties where VZW has the B side, but they border Minnesota, so I can't comment on that. But I so far haven't had any problems using Verizon Wireless in Milwaukee, though I've only made weekend trips up there. I have yet to try out my Samsung V-Cast phone up there, just to see where all I get EVDO reception. I hope with a PCS market like Milwaukee, that coverage will be about the same with EVDO as 1X is. In NW Indiana, EVDO reception is that spotty due to my area having a B side cellular/ PCS overlay, and EVDO doesn't even cover the entire county of Lake County Indiana. But yeah, USCC is even further behind than Alltel is at releasing better data services. But I can tell you if you traveled in northern Indiana, almost all of northern Indiana that USCC covers is PCS only and they'll still adding towers since Primeco never built out all of the network before USCC bought out what was left of Primeco in Illinois, Indiana, & Berrien County Michigan. It's spotty in some spots, and where I work at in Lowell Indiana, USCC roams on Sprint, when USCC is technically supposed to cover that town, based on the fact that Lowell is in their service area.
    As for making calls, at this time, you can only make calls on 1X because it's for both voice & data, while EVDO at the moment is data only. Once EVDO is advanced, voice calls might be allowed on EVDO via VOIP.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    1) Yup. VZW doesn't have much of a licensed area, have PCS, and bought up a network that wasn't that well built-out.

2) Sure 'nuff. The network VZW bought out, I think it used like 6 or 8 sites to cover all of Madison, plus is PCS. VZW has built out more sites but US Cellular is cellular there plus had a biiiig head start.

3) *shrug*. The few calls I made in madison sounded OK, but coverage area is bad (visiting relatives in the SW corner of the state, you hardly get out of Madison and it rolls over to US Cellular/Alltel for roaming -- really the phone seems to randomly switch between both since the terrain is so crazy.)

4) Oh yeah. Last time I was up there the phone at least showed 1X, but just before that some areas even still showed "D" (that is, it was CDMA but wasn't even 1X yet -- just IS-95.) If USCC tried to offer data with that, top speed would be 14.4kbps.

5) That's normal. EV is only for data and 1X for voice; current phones won't do both so I guess it turns off the EV indicator while in a call. I guess the phones will now ring while using data, but when you pick up it suspends your data, you make your call, hang up, and the data session resumes.

Yeah.. We have US Cellular in my area. I'd consider them, but on the end of town I live at, they've had a dead cell since 1999 or so. So my couple friends with USCC get "full bars" at my house, but incoming calls don't ring his phone, and outgoing calls claim to connect but connect to dead air. Yeah.

I had Cingular, (well, Suncom with a $20 plan, then AT&T Wireless with a little higher one) but now they charge the same as VZW, had broken customer service (every rep I talked to seemed to be fighting the computer to get things done), and GSM coverage here is not filled out like CDMA (virtually statewide, A *and* B cellular providers are both CDMA).. I considered T-Mobile despite the lower coverage, but I-Wireless ("a T-Mobile affiliate") charges a fair whack more than T-Mobile. I do think my TDMA and then GSM service sounded a little better, but I do have better coverage now, and voice is certainly acceptable.

Phones
    Palm Centro
    Moto E815
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz
    1) Yup. VZW doesn't have much of a licensed area, have PCS, and bought up a network that wasn't that well built-out.

2) Sure 'nuff. The network VZW bought out, I think it used like 6 or 8 sites to cover all of Madison, plus is PCS. VZW has built out more sites but US Cellular is cellular there plus had a biiiig head start.

3) *shrug*. The few calls I made in madison sounded OK, but coverage area is bad (visiting relatives in the SW corner of the state, you hardly get out of Madison and it rolls over to US Cellular/Alltel for roaming -- really the phone seems to randomly switch between both since the terrain is so crazy.)
    Not trying to make a comparison but now I see the reason why for something I've been wandering about for a while. I have some family that lives in Wisconsin and my cousin goes to school in Madison. They had Verizon but this past summer they tried out Alltel and found that it gave them much better coverage in Madison and several other places in WI that they didn't get it before. I just found it strange that Verizon wasn't built out that well in a city like Madison. But from what I hear, Alltel has really good coverage in Wisconsin also. For anybody wandering they would probably also be a really good option in Wisconsin where it's available. The VZW network is always there as a free roam backup. With their coverage area, and even prices which saved me some $$ when I switched over from VZW, they are hard to beat in that area. I imagine that the network is even stronger now that Alltel has bought out Midwest Wireless.
    Last edited by ghostchild; 09-30-2006 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've always had to force my phone onto USCC whenever I visit my relatives up there unless I'm in Green Bay or Milwauke, but I've found those VZW networks aren't that great either.
    -Rizon

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Sure 'nuff. If Alltel had service here I would have given them a try. Unfortunately, Iowa City doesn't have much choice due to most cos owning multiple bands... we've got:
    VZW (cellular)
    US Cellular (1 cellular + E block)
    Cingular (PCS C & D)
    Sprint (PCS B)
    I Wireless (block A.. (edit) and F)
    ??? (F block -- I think someone owned it that was going to run data on it, but went bankrupt.)
    Blah! No, I just checked on tk.com/wireless, and F is now also I Wireless
    I was hoping someone new would buy F.

Phone
    Omnia i910
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't really have problems with my VZW service in Wisconsin. Sure, once you leave the cities, you are going to be roaming, but thats how the PCS network is. Its setup where the people are, look at the coverage maps. Its designed to cover the most number of people, not biggest area. But once you are roaming, it'll be on USCC, Alltel, or Cellcom most likely and they have good networks when you are on them. I don't really have any coverage issues in Appleton, unless I am inside buildings, then it gets worse, or am downstairs at my church. But thats what free roaming is for. I was in Milwaukee last weekend and I had no coverage issues there. Voice quality was fine, never once roamed onto anyone else. Didn't have a laptop to test EVDO speed, but it was alot faster using mobile web than with 1x.

Phones
    Motorola Electrify
    Electrify M (Wife)
    Electrify M
    Carriers
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruni
    Actually all areas. . .Even if you are in an area with strong native VZ coverage you can still roam on USCC.

Phones
    BB Bold 9700
    LG Vx-8500 Chocolate(retired)
    Motorola E815 (died 4/28/07)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz

4) Oh yeah. Last time I was up there the phone at least showed 1X, but just before that some areas even still showed "D" (that is, it was CDMA but wasn't even 1X yet -- just IS-95.) If USCC tried to offer data with that, top speed would be 14.4kbps.

5) That's normal. EV is only for data and 1X for voice; current phones won't do both so I guess it turns off the EV indicator while in a call. I guess the phones will now ring while using data, but when you pick up it suspends your data, you make your call, hang up, and the data session resumes.

Yeah.. We have US Cellular in my area. I'd consider them, but on the end of town I live at, they've had a dead cell since 1999 or so. So my couple friends with USCC get "full bars" at my house, but incoming calls don't ring his phone, and outgoing calls claim to connect but connect to dead air. Yeah.

I had Cingular, (well, Suncom with a $20 plan, then AT&T Wireless with a little higher one) but now they charge the same as VZW, had broken customer service (every rep I talked to seemed to be fighting the computer to get things done), and GSM coverage here is not filled out like CDMA (virtually statewide, A *and* B cellular providers are both CDMA).. I considered T-Mobile despite the lower coverage, but I-Wireless ("a T-Mobile affiliate") charges a fair whack more than T-Mobile. I do think my TDMA and then GSM service sounded a little better, but I do have better coverage now, and voice is certainly acceptable.
    I had primeco when I was in Madison in 97 when they first started. Switched to US Cellular in 99 due to coverage issues in Oshkosh. Since 2001 I've been on VZW and in Milwaukee.

Now that i have my history out of the way. Madison always has coverage issues just because of the layout with it in relation to the lakes. Plus, there seems to be quite a few buildings that must be built really well because I have a difficult time getting any signal.