Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: LG8300 Step By Step Beginners Guide w/ screenshots,pics,drawings,links to accessories

Device(s)
    LG VX8300 V01
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

LG8300 Step By Step Beginners Guide w/ screenshots,pics,drawings,links to accessories

***If any of the pictures are down, congratulations you killed my 10gig bandwidth for the month. Download the latest PDF file in my signature at the end of this post.***

LG VX 8300
    How to file

About:
    I thought I'd compile all of the tips I've learned into a single document. This will not only save me time by not having to answer repeat questions but save other people's time as well. It didn't seem like the other ultimate guide was being updated any longer.

I've tried to make these tips easily understandable by anyone who reads this. I've also taken the time to take a few pictures, screenshots, and drawings to help.

I tried to cite my sources wherever possible...sorry if I missed one, let me know and I'll try to correct it.

I will try to update the PDF regularly whenever possible.

***Please note that I do not endorse any links to products, software, or accessories in this document. I am simply suggesting products that should work with this phone. Some things I have purchased and do use myself, others I have just tried to find an inexpensive compatible product to save you all money. Buying all OEM accessories can get very expensive.***

I'm doing this for free, so please don't complain, but I welcome any suggestions on improving this document.

************************************************** ***************************

A little bit about my setup, this will hopefully clear up why I do and don't talk about certain things:

-I still use V01 of the firmware and don't have any plans of updating it ever unless some extraordinary new feature comes out.

-I don't have any blue tooth accessories so anything to do with blue tooth will not be covered in here. Therefore all instructions for using Bitpim will be for the USB cable.

Topics Covered:

Enabling the mp3 player on your LG VX 8300 V01

Converting videos into .3GP Format

Using a regular set of headphones to listen to music in Stereo

Creating Custom MP3 Ringtones

Using Custom Ringtones on Your MicroSD Card

Make WAP Settings Editable

Setting up Free WAP, a Proxy Server, a Homepage

Configure HoTTProxy.exe as a Pseudo-Service in Windows

How to Protect your Phone from Scratches

Enabling the mp3 player on your LG VX 8300 V01
    Source: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=941651

1. Enable the “secret” MP3 player:

Click Menu
    Press 0, 000000 (those are zeros)
    Music Setting
    MP3 Enable
    Press OK
    END
    (Don't mess with anything else in that secret service menu)

2. Now you have to change the shortcut for the buttons on the front of the phone:

Menu
    Settings & Tools
    Phone Settings
    Shortcut Key
    Play Key
    My MP3s
    Press OK
    END

3. Format your micro sd card in your phone.

Insert the micro sd card into the slot, metal contacts side facing up.

[If the images are down please download the PDF at the bottom of this post]

Menu
    Settings & Tools
    Memory
    Card Memory
    Options (right soft key)
    Format Card
    OK

Pull the micro sd card out of the phone by pushing in on the card so it springs out...You may need to use a pencil or something to push in on the card.

Put the micro sd card in the adapter, contacts side facing down. Put the adapter in your card reader. It should look something like this.

One last thing make sure you don't have any sub folders in your my_mp3 folder....the phone won't recognize them.

You may want to organize your mp3s in the following manner:

01-Artist A-Song 1
    02-Artist B-Song 1
    03-Artist B-Song 2

V01 doesn't support playlists so by putting a number in front of your mp3s you will organize them in the order that you want them.

Converting videos into .3GP Format

Download and install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack .

Download and install the freeware program called SUPER .

Set up SUPER exactly like this:
    Add video files and encode. Put these files in your “my_flix” folder on your micro sd card.

Using a regular set of headphones to listen to music in Stereo

LG doesn't use a standard 2.5mm stereo jack. There are 4 connections....(3 black bands). You need to buy a 2.5mm (3 black bands) male to 3.5mm (2 black bands) female adapter. If the male end doesn't look like this picture then the connections won't line up properly and you'll probably only get one channel to work.

1 for ground
    1 for right channel
    1 for left channel
    1 for a mic/button for mic

The following illustration shows what happens when the wrong plug is inserted into the phone. Part of the phone's contacts are shorted by the inserted plug. Part A is longer on the wrong plug and therefore shorts Sections 1 & 2 together. Part B possibly shorts Sections 2 & 3 together, etc. This also explains why when you pull the wrong plug out slightly you can get both channels to work, because that makes them line up properly.

These are probably the cheapest you will find an adapter for LG phones.

The first one is just for listening to music.
    http://www.beatmania2dx.com:8080/gamebaz/?a=i&i=4484

The second one also has a mic so you can do hands free calls.
    http://www.beatmania2dx.com:8080/gamebaz/?a=i&i=4488

Creating Custom MP3 Ringtones

Download and install Audacity .
    Audacity lets you cut view the waveform of an entire audio file and then edit it down to roughly a 30 second clip and will then convert it to an MP3.

This is the waveform of an entire 8 minute MP3. Notice the two buttons on the top left highlighted in red. One is the Selection Tool and the other is the Zoom tool.

Using the selection tool highlight the section you don't want as your MP3 and then click Edit, Cut or simply Ctrl + X.

Using the zoom tool, zoom in on your selection and you now have a 30 second clip.

I suggest using the fade out effect on the end of your audio clip so it doesn't just stop all of a sudden. It will be a smooth transition.

When you are done just click File, Export as MP3.

Using Custom Ringtones on Your MicroSD Card

Download and install Bitpim .

You need to create a folder on your micro sd card called “ringers”, NOT “my_ringers”. Put your 30 second MP3 ringtones in this folder and then put the micro sd card back into your phone.

Open Bitpim and click “Get Phone Data” and select “Ringtone”.
    Then click “Send Phone Data” and select “Ringtone” and “Replace All”.

This will update the phone's ringtone.dat file to now include the MP3s you just put on your microsd card.

To set the newly created ringtone:

Menu
    Tools & Settings
    Sound Settings
    Call Sounds
    Call Ringtone
    All Calls

Make WAP Settings Editable
    Source: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=984149

This involves editing a file from your phone. But first you need to get the file off your phone and then make a backup copy and save it somewhere safe, like an email, or flash drive.

In Bitpim click on “View”, “View Filesystem”. Then click on “Filesystem” from the list on the left window.

Navigate to /OWS/paramtable1.fil Right click and copy it to your hard drive.

Download HexEdit
    Make sure you've already made a backup copy of your paramtable1.fil file.

Open paramtable1.fil in HexEdit and change the 3rd byte from 00 to 20 and click File, Save As, but make sure you save it as the exact same file name.

Now open up Bitpim again.
    Navigate back to /OWS/paramtable1.fil
    Right click on the file and select “Overwrite”.
    Now find the file that you just edited and overwrite the file on the phone.
    Close Bitpim and disconnect the phone from the usb cable.

Now when you go into the service menu you can edit the wap proxy addresses.

Menu
    Press 0, 000000 (six zeros)
    Wap Setting
    Proxy Address Setting & Proxy Port Edit both the primary and secondary settings. (Keep reading to find out what to put there)

Setting up Free WAP, a Proxy Server, a Homepage
    Source: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=935920

I will show you how to set up your own proxy server that uses your own computer's internet access to gain access to the internet on your phone for free. Note that this uses minutes from your monthly plan, but does not charge you for every KB downloaded. So if you use this on your free night and weekend times it is “free” since you have unlimited night and weekend minutes.

This only works if you have a static IP address!
    If you have a dynamic IP, there are other free proxies out there that you could use.
    Search for free proxies on google.

Download and install Hottproxy Get the latest Win32 compiled executable zip.

Extract the files in the zip file to C:\Program Files\HoTTProxy

In Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HoTTProxy and run HoTTProxyAdmin.exe

Once the administration server has started, open your web browser and navigate to http://localhost:8085/

In the HoTTProxy Administration page, select Configuration.

Set your default homepage to the page you wish to access with your phone.
    (You can create your own homepage at www.waphomepage.com)
    (Change the default homepage in hottproxy to http://www.waphomepage.com?id=USERNAME)
    (Where USERNAME is your username when you sign up with waphomepage.com)
    (You could also just use something like wap.google.com)

7. The port number is important here, in most cases you may just want to leave it as 9201, but be sure that this port is opened on your router and firewall if you have them or you won't be able to access the proxy server.
    (Go here to if you don't know how to forward a port on your router http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm)

8. Select Save Configuration, Main Menu and then Create User.

9. Enter your “TENDIGITNUMBER” as your username and “vzw” as your password.

10.Leave homepage blank unless you want it to be different based on what phone you are using to access the proxy. All other fields are optional.

11.You can now close the Administration page and the HoTTProxy_Admin.exe (it will ask if you want to End Now).

12.Run HoTTProxy.exe and now you should have a proxy server!

Putting it all together
    Now you know the proper information to enter into your phone. You've set up your proxy, made your wap settings editable in your phone, and set up your personal homepage at waphomepage.com (optional)

Like I said before this only works if you have a STATIC IP ADDRESS. You need to find out what your IP address is.

Do so by going to:
    http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/

Write that IP number down.

Here's how to enter the info into your phone:

Menu
    Press 0, 000000 (six zeros)
    WAP Setting
    Proxy Address Setting
    Primary Address
    Enter your IP address here
    SAVE
    Secondary Address
    Enter your IP address here also
    SAVE
    CLR

Proxy Port Setting
    Primary Port
    Change this to the port you opened up and set in HoTTProxy
    SAVE
    Secondary Port
    Change this to the port you opened up and set in HoTTProxy
    SAVE

*Don't change either of the LXL Ports in the phone.*

Double check these settings in your phone

User Name should be your 10 digit cell phone number

User Password should be vzw

Homepage should be http://homepage

Press END to exit the Service Menu

So how do you access the internet on your phone?

Menu
    Messaging
    Either Email or Chat

I've changed the shortcut for my UP button to Chat so with the press of that single button I can access the internet.

Menu
    Settings & Tools
    Phone Settings
    Shortcut Key
    Change whichever on floats your boat.

Assuming you have HoTTProxy running and you've opened up the port on your router/firewall your internet should now work on your phone.

Configure HoTTProxy.exe as a Pseudo-Service in Windows
    Source: http://www.hottproxy.org/articles/EXEonWin32.html

Now that you have hottproxy running you'll notice that it runs from the command prompt and takes up space on your taskbar. Here's how to set it up so it will automatically load when you boot windows and run in the background.

Steps:
    In the steps that follow we are going to create a Scheduled Task. The precise steps may vary slightly depending upon your operating system, and even based upon some of your display settings. The important thing is to pay attention to what we're setting and adapt it to how it is done on your OS.
    These particular procedures are for Windows XP Professional - others should be similar.

1.Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, Add Scheduled Task

2.Click Next to begin the Wizard

3.Instead of choosing a program from the list, click Browse

4.Browse to C:\HoTTProxy (or wherever you put it) and choose HoTTProxy.exe

5.The next window asks you to type a name for the task. Enter anything you like, but 'HoTTProxy' seems logical. Below the box for the name are some choices for when to perform the task. Choose "When my computer starts".

6.The next window prompts for the user name and password to run as. For the user name, enter "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" (without the quotes). Leave the password boxes blank.

7.The next window tells you you've successfully created the task and gives you a checkbox option to "Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish". Check that box and click Finish.

8.In the advanced properties, go to the Settings tab and uncheck the "Stop this task if it runs for xx hours" box.

9.Click OK to close the window.

To activate the new scheduled task you can Reboot, or do the following:

1.Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, and then double-click the Scheduled Tasks item. If you do this correctly, a separate window of your scheduled tasks, and details about them, will open.

2.Find your HoTTProxy task you created.

3.Right-click the task and choose "Run". If everything is correct, the "Status" of the task will change to "Running" but you won't see a HoTTProxy window open (because it is running in the background).

How to protect your phone from scratches

There are several ways to protect your phone from scratches, a leather case, holster, screen protectors, etc.

The problem with cases and holsters are that they are cumbersome and some of the clear plastic screen protectors don't hold up over time.

DIY Method:

There is a better screen protector out there made by 3M called Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film.
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gard-PPF/Home/

This is very durable and is mainly used to cover the hoods of cars to protect from rocks and debris scratching your paint job.

3M won't sell you a bulk roll of this stuff, so you have to find a dealer who sells it.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/bulkfilm.html
    This site sells it by the foot. So in order to make a screen shield you need to make a paper template first.
    Installation can be tricky and you need to have very clean hands and fingers. You will need a small spray bottle that you can mix 25% rubbing alcohol and 75% water in and you will need a credit card or something to squeegee out the bubbles.

Check out shieldzone.com for installation videos and tips for handling the plastic.

Pre-cut Plastic Screen Covers:

Shieldzone sells pre-cut pieces that fit almost perfectly for a specific device, but is kind of expensive. But they include instructions, a spray bottle with solution, and a small plastic squeegee device.

LG VX 8300 Complete User's Guide
    A 41 page step by step tutorial with pics and screenshots.
    Most tricks will work with the 8100, 8500, 8600, 9800, 9900 & others with minor tweaks.

Thread: (OUTDATED, post questions here but DOWNLOAD THE PDF, it's newer)
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1015056

PDF:

http://rapidshare.com/files/7181668/...12-08-2006.pdf

Device(s)
    LG 4500
    Feedback Score
    SC173 - You're the man! Thanks for the great post. The pictures really help. All the latest information in one place. Thanks for taking the time to do the post.

Device(s)
    LG 8300 V03
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips, now I can go hack the phone and get all the features on my phone

Device(s)
    HTC HERO
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    this is a great tutorial esp about using ringtones on your microSD card thanks so much

Device(s)
    vx10000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Will this information also work on the 8100??

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG VX8300 V01
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No problem guys, I'm glad this helped a few people out.

Chucky,
    This info will work on most LG phones. The 8100, 8300, 8500, 9800, (and others?) are all pretty similar. You may have to play with some settings for your specific phone though. Screens sizes are obviously different on some of the phones and maybe even some of the menus are different as well.

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Very Very Very Nice!!
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    Very Very Very Nice!!
    Let me add one very. Very, very, very, very Nice!!

Device(s)
    LG VX9800m The V Phone
    Carrier(s)
    vzw
    Feedback Score

please help

can someone help me. bitpim(0.9.0.7) will not autodetect my phone(8300) i see which com port it is on but i get failed each time i try to detect it please help.

Feedback Score
    Well Done.

Device(s)
    vx10000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have a newbie question. What is WAP and by doing this will I be able to get internet on my phone using just my minutes and not have to sign up for a data plan?

I love the ringers on the sd card. Before I was limited on the number of ringtones I could have on my 8100. But now I can have a lot more.

Thanks

I have followed all these directions and can not get it to work. Does this work on the 8100 also.
    Last edited by chucky32; 10-17-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Device(s)
    LG VX8300 V01
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky32
    I have a newbie question. What is WAP and by doing this will I be able to get internet on my phone using just my minutes and not have to sign up for a data plan?

I love the ringers on the sd card. Before I was limited on the number of ringtones I could have on my 8100. But now I can have a lot more.

Thanks

I have followed all these directions and can not get it to work. Does this work on the 8100 also.
    You couldn't get the WAP to work?, or the ringers on the micro sd card?

WAP is just the internet on your phone. Yes it does use your monthly minutes, but since you have unlimited nights and weekend minutes it's "free" using it during those times.

It does not charge you for accessing the internet, since you are now redirecting it to use your home internet or another free proxy.

This has nothing to do with text messages or pix messages so you still have to pay for those.

Device(s)
    vx10000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I cant get the WAP to work. I have a wireless router do I put that IP address or my computers IP address?

When I have HoTTproxy open it has both of them there. The routers is a PrivateIPAddr and my computers is a PubicIPAddr. Which one do I use?

Thanks for the help.

Device(s)
    LG VX8300 V01
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The one that's assigned from your ISP, not your local IP...go to that website I listed, it will tell you your IP.

You also have to open up ports within your router. You can usually access your router by typing 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1 in your browser. Read the instruction manual for your specific router.

Default user names and passwords are usually something like:
    User Name: admin
    Password: admin
    or
    User Name: admin
    Password: password

Also the website I listed about port forwarding has instructions for many different brands of routers.

Do you have a software based firewall? For example Windows XP Firewall, Zone Alarm, Black Ice... You may need to set it up to allow the ports to be open as well.

If you are unsure about all of this, maybe using a public proxy is better for you. You won't have to use hottproxy or open up ports on your computer. But sometimes public proxies aren't 100% reliable and can even be slow.

Device(s)
    V3C RAZR
    Carrier(s)
    Altel
    Feedback Score

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast