Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Important is Touch-Screen?

Phone
    Nexus S, Huawei U1250, iPhone 4, Motorola A1200, Qtek S200,Nokia 3360, Sony T310, Ericsson T28,PF768
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

How Important is Touch-Screen?

Just curious how important is touch-screen on a pda-phone. What are the advantages/cons of having/not having one?

How important is a keyboard? Please tell your experiences, especially if you've had both before! (why did you switch?)

I'm looking to buy a pda-phone...windows mobile 5.0... w/ wifi... maybe camera too...

Data rates in Canada are ridiculous, so that's why wifi is a must...

Phones
    Palm Treo Pro
    Samsung Blackjack II
    Cingular Treo 750
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    you asked questions that are wholly dependent on the user.

Phones
    me: iPhone 5S 64GB with int'l unlimited plan / SE C510a
    wife: iPhone 5S 64 GB / 3GS 32GB
    Carriers
    AT&T since 1993
    Feedback Score
    I won't buy a device without a touchscreen or without a keyboard... but that's just me!

Phones
    HTC - Google Nexus One
    HTC Touch Pro2
    BlackBerry Bold 9700 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For me, the keyboard has become a necessity, and the touchscreen is second on the list of necessary features.

If you send or reply to many messages during the day there really is no better way (yet) to do so than by using a keyboard, even if you have to type with your thumbs. The touchscreen is a necessary feature for me because it give more UI navigation options. Blackberries are ok without touchscreens, but just imagine not needing to scroll with that annoying little wheel through six icons you don't want, just to accidentally miss the one you intended and have to scroll back. I like just tapping what I want and getting on with the task at hand.

There are some great devices without either of these features, and I have owned quite a few of them, but I greatly prefer devices with them.
    Take a look at my new blog: MobileGenius. It is really just a few reviews at this point but I think I cover a few things that some of the reviews I have read do not take time for. Feel free to leave a comment!

Phone
    Nexus S, Huawei U1250, iPhone 4, Motorola A1200, Qtek S200,Nokia 3360, Sony T310, Ericsson T28,PF768
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by importluva
    you asked questions that are wholly dependent on the user.
    That's the point. If I can get multiple opinions, I can gain some insight towards certain considerations that I might not have thought about before.

How many phones have both a touchscreen and a keyboard? I can only think of the Qtek 9100

Phones
    Best phone in the world (coming soon...)
    Sony Ericsson P800
    Sony Ericsson T68is
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Wizard ... TyTN are good options if you have the money ...

To me .. touch screen is the one of the most imp things that I need in a PDA ...
    MoJo - Mobile JoKer

Phones
    G1
    Nokia 5310 for riding music
    Moto v360 (backup)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have used smartphone and ppc....I find the lack of a touchscreen makes most games unbearable.

qwerty keyboard...when i use it I love it, but honestly, I rarely use it. So for me, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I do look for it.

Phones
    me: iPhone 5S 64GB with int'l unlimited plan / SE C510a
    wife: iPhone 5S 64 GB / 3GS 32GB
    Carriers
    AT&T since 1993
    Feedback Score
    My last four devices: Blackberry 7280, Siemens SX66, ETEN G500, HTC TyTN.

The crackberry had a great keyboard, but I hated the lack of touchscreen. The SX66 had a tiny keyboard, but a great screen. The G500 has a great screen but no keyboard (which is fine for my wife). I'm happy to say the TyTN has both a great screen and a great keyboard.

IMO, both keyboard and touchscreen are must-have features in a PDA/Phone. There are simply far too many applications that you won't be able to use properly without a touchscreen. And if you're a heavy mail/text/IM user, you'll quickly find the keyboard is a must-have, too!
    Last edited by goestoeleven; 10-07-2006 at 10:52 AM.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Touchscreen is a must for web navigation. I've browsed the same websites on a PPC and on a Smartphone and the excessive scrolling to get where you need makes it a pain to browse on a Smartphone. A touch screen lets you drag the scroll bar to move quickly to a spot on the page and direct access to links and icons by tapping onto them. Should navigation options improve for non-touchscreen users? Yes. Should touchscreens go away and force everybody to use joysticks or scroll wheels? Hell, no!

Phones
    Apple iPhone (8 GB - Personal)
    Blackberry Curve (Office Issued)
    HTC P3600 (Trinity - Backup Phone)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

My Perspective

Currently, I have three devices. I have the iMate JAMIN (touch screen, but no keyboard), the QTEK 9100 (touch screen and keyboard) and a Blackberry 7130. The Blackberry is provided by my office. They keyboard is ok, but not having a touch screen is often frustrating.

The JAMIN is my primary device. While it does not have a keyboard, the form factor has been great. I don't use the 9100 much because the blue backlight on the keyboard is really difficult on my eyes in dark environments. Though, I have to admit, I often miss the keyboard.

Ideally, a touch screen AND a keyboard is nice -- in my opinion.
    David F.

Phones
    BB Storm & Bold
    iPhone
    Treo 750 & 680
    Carrier
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4life
    How many phones have both a touchscreen and a keyboard? I can only think of the Qtek 9100
    Actually there's quite a few, all the Treos (600, 650, 700w, 700wx), HTC Wizards (Qtek 9100, 8125, MDA+many more), the HTC Universals (O2 Exec, I-mate JasJar+many more), BenQ P50, HP 6500 series & 6900 series, the new HTC Hermes, plus many more I won't go into.

I have both a device with a keyboard and without a keyboard (Qtek 9100 & S200). For what I do, I find myself going back to the device with a keyboard for it's convience. Like everyone here have been saying, keyboard or not that depends on what you do. However, touchscreen is a MUST
    Currently own (Yes all at once):
    On Verizon
    BB Storm, Samsung Omnia (Just sold!)
    On AT&T
    BB Bold, iPhone, Treo 750, Treo 680, Qtek 9100, Qtek S200, Cingular 3125, Samsung Blackjack, Blackberry Curve, AT&T Tilt

My HoFo Feedback

Phones
    Nokia N95 8GB HP IPAQ 614
    HTC XV7501
    Motorola Q9H
    Carriers
    3 Sweden
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Not so important. I survive without touchscreen on my e61 without any problem.

Phones
    HP iPaq 6945
    Samsung t409
    MOTOROKR™ S9
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goestoeleven
    I won't buy a device without a touchscreen or without a keyboard... but that's just me!
    I have to agree 100%. And I also won't buy another device that doesn't have intergarted BT, WiFi and a quadband phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ephonite
    Censorship is an ugly, ugly thing, and that's what your are suggesting no matter how hard you are trying to hide your true intentions beneath the veneer of smart-sounding phrases. IMO... the last thing the world needs is another fanboy forum. Obviously, free exchange of opinions makes your stomach turn, so move on, pal, start censorshiprus.com instead of hanging on independent open forums. I'm sure that T-Mobile will reward you handsomely

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    it's good to have, but i just don't like it when you're forced to use it to navigate

Phone
    imate JAMin
    Carrier
    o2
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

As I use the stylus for most text messaging I find the touch screen invaluable.

I have a JAMin so don't have a keyboard. I really don't have a need for it.

With WM5 it is more and more possible to navigate the phone using the D pad but you still need the stylus for input if you don't have the keyboard. The extended use of the D-Pad is great as it used to be a pain to navigate menus etc exclusively with the stylus.

I moved to PPC from Symbian S60 and have found the benefits are great. I really like the form factor of the recent MS Smartphones but I would not give up the touch screen.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast