Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: READ THIS FIRST (Sidekick FAQ)

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

READ THIS FIRST (Sidekick FAQ)

Since there seems to be an influx of threads about the same thing that has been covered six million, four hundred twenty seven thousand, fourty two times, I felt that a general info thread might be of use to the Danger forum.

Since I am lazy, I will just put Sidekick in this thread, although most of these questions will be similar for the Hiptop device.

HOW DO I USE A SIDEKICK ON MY CURRENT PLAN?
    This references T-Mobile since I know them the best and since most people who come to this board use them.

There are really 3 options for using an SK device on TMO.
    1. Add it to a voice plan. This costs 20.00 USD a month and comes with unlimited e-mail, unlimited web browsing with EDGE if available, unlimited AIM, YIM and MSN messaging plus unlimited SMS. Minutes are pulled from your bucket.
    2. Start a new line/standalone postpaid. This costs 29.99 USD a month and includes all of the above features, but no voice plan.
    3. Prepaid. Pay 1 USD a day for data/SMS and .40 cents a minute for voice. You are deducted for the data even if you don't use it, so it comes to 31 USD a month.

MY FRIEND JUST SENT ME A PICTURE OF HIS DOG RIDING A SKATEBOARD, BUT I DIDN'T SEEM TO GET IT. WTF STi?
    The SideKick does not support MMS (on T-Mobile, at least). Your friend will need to send the picture to your tmail address. HipTools has a great list of where to send an email if you have a picture to send.

I HAVE TWO PHONES AND WANT TO SWAP MY SIM AND USE THEM INTERCHANGABLY. DO I NEED TO TRADE PLANS EACH TIME?
    Not necessarily. If you just want to use SMS (MMS is NOT included) on your other phone, you can keep the SK Data Plan. Any mobile web, AIM or MMS used will be charged accordingly as if you had no data plan (because you really don't, you only have the SideKick Data Plan...and you're not on a SideKick).

CAN I UNLOCK MY SIDEKICK AND USE IT ON ANOTHER NETWORK?
    Yes, sort of. If you unlock your SK (assuming you can pry the code from your provider, some have stopped giving them for the SK devices) you can use a foreign SIM for VOICE and TEXT ONLY! Data WILL NOT work. That's because your SK syncs with Danger's servers constantly to provide a data connection to you. Without your normal network, these connections don't know wtf is up and your data is unavailable. If a hard reset occurs, you're basically hosed.

I FOUND A SIDEKICK ON THE _____. CAN I USE IT?
    No, not if the previous user was intelligent. First of all, besides the pressing moral issues of using a device that you STOLE, the IMEI of the device is used each time it connects to the data service. So, the previous owner can blacklist that and make it unavailable to anyone who tries to use it. Hope you burn in hell for trying to use stolen goods!

BUT WHAT IF I BUY IT FROM A LEGIT SOURCE? MY FRIEND? EBAY? GOD?
    Ah, well, that's different. Just make sure the previous owner connected the service provider and told them he/she sold their device. The service provider will nuke their account and setup a new one for you.

I WANT FREE RINGTONES/APPS. TELL ME HOW.
    Unfortunately, there is currently NO WAY to get ringtones and apps onto your SK device withoout a developer key. You MUST buy them from the catalog.

OK, TELL ME HOW TO GET A DEVELOPER KEY.
    Can you write Java? Are you, by some wild chance of fate, a DEVELOPER?! Then you can apply for one on Danger's website. Otherwise, you can't get one.

MY FRIEND HAS A DEV KEY. HOW DO I USE IT?
    You don't. Each key is tied to the device ID and can only be used on that device.

That's all I have for now. Post in this thread for other questions similar to these.

-STi
    -Mike-
    Jailbroken, unlocked iPhone with 2.0
    Palm Treo 750 aka HTC Cheetah
    *Blackberry 8100 "Pearl"* got in a pyrotechnic accident
    *Sidekick 3* sold!
    Moto PEBL U6
    Firmware R478_G_08.84.2AR
    Flex SE4828AXXW60E0, many SEEM edits

HoFo Feedback!

Feedback Score
    You shouldn't give people that much hope that they can unlock their sidekick for any network. Presently, it is pretty much impossible. I've looked everywhere.

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I know T-Mobile doesn't unlock them anymore, but I wasn't sure about SunCom or other providers. Sounds like us SK users are SOL.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry® Storm™ 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks This Answered All My Questions

Device(s)
    TMOBILE MDA
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    Great list man,

Feedback Score
    Yea I contacted Suncom, their customer service will not give out unlock codes, or even admit that they have the ability to unlock their phones.

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Everything Plus
    Feedback Score
    40 cents for prepaid is a little high, I think you mean 15 cents. But otherwise, great FAQ, should be stickied.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting! Sticky has been made.

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Alright, I don't know if this is a bug in Hofo or what...but I can't seem to edit the first post to correct my prepaid talk rate...I've noticed that in my threads that have later been stickied...anyone got an idea?

Feedback Score
    How is the web browsing for the sidekick 3? What are the speeds like and and will I be able to veiw most websites. Do the sites look just like they do in IE?

Device(s)
    Samsung S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Actually, I don't think you can blacklist a Sidekick. If you found it, you can actually use it after you do a hard reset, put in your SIM card in it, and let T-mobile know you want a Sidekick plan.

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by secrecyguy
    Actually, I don't think you can blacklist a Sidekick. If you found it, you can actually use it after you do a hard reset, put in your SIM card in it, and let T-mobile know you want a Sidekick plan.
    From what I know, this is not true. The IMEI is still tied to an SK acct in the Danger servers, so you have basically blacklisted it.

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Everything Plus
    Feedback Score
    I thought blacklisting IMEIs in the US was illegal?

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender1490
    I thought blacklisting IMEIs in the US was illegal?
    Um...no?

Ten characters.

Device(s)
    nokia 3230
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    so its basically impossible to unlock the sidekick II?
    My FeedBack For Hofo:

Email = [email protected]
    Phone # = 647 407 7289

MY HEATWARE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast