Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: READ THIS FIRST (Sidekick FAQ)

Device(s)
    Sidekick LX [espresso]
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clipzz
    so its basically impossible to unlock the sidekick II?
    that would be correct. You have to atlest be a T-mobile customer for 90days [from what some people have said]

But i dont believe that. I have been a customer for over 2 years and they wont unlock mine [had my sk2 for a year and a half]

And dont buy a *unlocked* sidekick 2 on ebay because 9 times out of 10, they arent unlocked.

Device(s)
    black 16gb iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm considering swapping my Pearl for a SK3, but have a few questions first.

1. Can I download applications on the SK3? Like on my Pearl, I have the GMail application, Google Maps, Google Talk, etc. Could I download these onto a SK3?

2. Can you change the wallpaper on the SK3?

3. Do you only have the sidekick email on it or can you also add email accounts like on the Blackberry?

I have about a week left for returning (30 days in California) and these factors would sell me.

Device(s)
    G1 + N800 (open source tag team)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by christyxcore
    I'm considering swapping my Pearl for a SK3, but have a few questions first.

1. Can I download applications on the SK3? Like on my Pearl, I have the GMail application, Google Maps, Google Talk, etc. Could I download these onto a SK3?

2. Can you change the wallpaper on the SK3?

3. Do you only have the sidekick email on it or can you also add email accounts like on the Blackberry?

I have about a week left for returning (30 days in California) and these factors would sell me.
    This is better posted in it's own thread and not in the FAQ.

1. Basic Answer: No. SK platform is locked to preapproved Apps, so no you can't

2. Basic Answer: Yes. There are threads about this, use the wonderful search utility up in the right hand corner

3. Basic Answer: Yes. Again, search, or look at a users manual to show you how to do it.

Aside from that. Could you post the location on where to view the most up to date product catalog, might help people looking to get into the SK who want to know what apps are available.
    2000th post dedicated to the best phone ever - The Sidekick

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    can oem sk3 housings be replaced?

Device(s)
    Tmobile G1 (white)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    this is a great FAQ post. I have a question similar to one you posted. Will the Sidekick work on a non sidekick data plan? If I have a BlackBerry data plan can I still use the data features of the sidekick when swapping sims from my Blackberry or Dash?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Since the FAQ is super old, does the MMS issue still stand? You can't receive or send MMS on the newest (Sidekick LX, SK3, SK Slide) phones?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With the LX and the Slide you can receive MMS. I dont believe you can on the SK3.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kristaylur
    this is a great FAQ post. I have a question similar to one you posted. Will the Sidekick work on a non sidekick data plan? If I have a BlackBerry data plan can I still use the data features of the sidekick when swapping sims from my Blackberry or Dash?
    i wanna know the answer to this too. will the sidekick work with the 5.99 proxy.

and yea this super old thread badly need to be updated.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud97
    i wanna know the answer to this too. will the sidekick work with the 5.99 proxy.
    It has been answered a million times. Search for your answers.

And no it wont. You have to have the SK data plan. Don`t be cheap. You cant add your own games, programs or ring tones. You have to buy everything.

Device(s)
    sidekick slide
    Carrier(s)
    t mobile
    Feedback Score
    so not being able to download your own ringtons and gams and stuff still applies to the newer phones like the lx/slide? (considering this was started back in 2006). On my slide there is a music player, if i put in a bunch of songs i can just tag them as apply to ringtone or somthing similar?

its taking getting used to from the dash but i like it so far. hopefully its not good for a while then a complete piece of **** a month later like the dash was.

Device(s)
    G1 + N800 (open source tag team)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DezertRider
    so not being able to download your own ringtons and gams and stuff still applies to the newer phones like the lx/slide? (considering this was started back in 2006). On my slide there is a music player, if i put in a bunch of songs i can just tag them as apply to ringtone or somthing similar?

its taking getting used to from the dash but i like it so far. hopefully its not good for a while then a complete piece of **** a month later like the dash was.

No you can not assign mp3s in the music player to ringtones. Those still have to purchased through the download store.

Feedback Score
    I kinda miss my dash. I've had my LX for about 3 months and gave my roommate my dash. Since we both have unlimited data now (I didn't when I was using the dash) 've beginning to wish I hadn't given it to him. He's got GPS running and all sorts of other stuff that I couldn't do without the data plan.. all the SK LX has going for it is the big keyboard (which I could't do without now.)

My pet peeves about the sidekick LX, that really disappointed me:

1. No Bluetooth. Yes, it says "Bluetooth 2.0" on the website, but it's a bold face lie. The only thing you can do with it is send other sidekicks your contact information. and mono headsets. You can't listen to music via bluetooth, you can't sync or copy media via bluetooth. Really, what's the point??

2. 100 message limit in the SMS mailbox. This means you can only have 100 message total throughout your inbox, saved, trash and drafts. This is completely retarded. You'd think that it would delete messages from your trash if you run out of space in your inbox but it doesn't. If you have 100 messages total, it starts spitting errors and you miss the new messages. I'm pretty active on dodgeball and twitter and I have to delete messages constantly. (I get about 300 a day.)

3. For a phone whose primary reason for being cool is it's instant messaging ability, if you try to message someone when you're not connected (say, in the subway or something) instead of behaving logically and queuing them up for transmitting when the signal returns, it just says "cannot send message. try again later". This, again, is completely retarded.

4. E-mail is a pain in the ***. Yes, you can add POP3 accounts to your mail client, but everything gets filtered through Danger's servers - which are slow as hell. I have my work e-mail in my phone, cause I thought it'd be cool to be able to reply to clients when I'm lunch... it takes HOURS (3 or more) for my mail to be delivered to my SideKick. I've been told a few work arounds that involve forward the account to my tmail account but it just all seems so stupid. I don't want that mail being mixed in with my tmail.

5. Yes, you can change the menu backgrounds, but you can't get rid of the GIANT MENU ICONS that pop up over the background. Again, annoying more than anything but still.

6. Applications. OMG. I don't mind T-Mo and Danger being greedy and all, but can the applications on the SideKick be anymore useless. There's no blog clients, there's no additional chat clients. I know several developers who have written fantastic apps for last.fm/music scrobbling, twitter clients, dodgeball clients, mail enhancements, ringtone enhancements, etc.. but Danger will not approve them. However, check your catalog and you'll see apps that let you track your menstruation cycle, check your astrology or calculate your biorhythm. Oh, you can also get the myspace app for $3 a month, recurring.

All and all, I love the sidekick since I SMS a lot, but other than that it could really stand to catch up to most of the other phones on the market. I *really* miss WM6. (I never thought I'd say that!)

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Wing
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hmm.. Not being able to create custom ringtones for my sidekick... this is a majr blow for me... My wife just got one, if she keeps it, that's her choice. I don't see myself getting one now... how lame can they be.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Wing
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    oh great just found that google maps and opera wont install either... I'm really starting to hate this phone.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Wing
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nolageek
    1. No Bluetooth. Yes, it says "Bluetooth 2.0" on the website, but it's a bold face lie. The only thing you can do with it is send other sidekicks your contact information. and mono headsets. You can't listen to music via bluetooth, you can't sync or copy media via bluetooth. Really, what's the point??
    I also found that you can't even send/receive addressbook contacts either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast