Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My W300 review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My W300 review:

After a busy few weeks I have finally found time to finish up my W300 review so let's have a look.

I've been using the W300 for a solid 3 weeks now, worth noting is that I'm using a Rogers Retail W300 that is running SW R9A036 with Rogers DRM ringtone management, unfortunately.

Quick Specs
    The W300 features:
    Quadband
    EDGE
    Bluetooth 2.0 (multiple connections, faster more stable connection speeds)
    Bluetooth lacks A2DP profile
    IR
    Removable M2 memory format
    512meg M2 card
    20 meg onboard
    128x160 262k tft screen
    40 chord poly tones
    MP3/AAC support (DRM locked)
    VGA cam with 1.3mpix SW rendering
    Walkman applications / Functionality
    Email client with SSL compatibility

Box contents
    The Rogers retail packaged W300i will include:
    [i]USB cable
    SE PCsuite application (readily available on www.sonyericsson.com)
    Sim card
    phone
    charger
    stereo ear buds with hands free functionality
    manuals
    M2 memory stick adaptor

Reception:
    The W300 is a very good little phone with regards to RF.
    It doesn't fail in the standard barrage of tests that I run the phones through. It's really becoming a testament to SE's quality as it seems all the SE's I've used lately all work extremely well with regards to reception and handoffs to different towers on the daily commute and on my drive test*

*the drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

The W300 handled the drive test like I had assumed it would, and that assumption was well. It handled the Bayview and 19th "train tracks" without issue or audio distortion. It also handled the stretch of Bayview between Stoufville rd and bloomington quite well. I also tested the W300 in the traditional way. Beside my head holding the phone. I also tested the W300 in a new way. The new way is using my car radio which has bluetooth. Being a bluetooth device I of course paired the phone to the car radio and re-ran the tests with the W300 sitting in my cup holder. I believe that in this instance you'll find better performace since the phone is free and clear of any of your body parts (namely my head) and just sits on it's own without any blockage. Definately something worth looking at if you're in the market for a new car radio anyway. I'll never go back.

Sound Quality
    Incoming
    The W300 is a very good sounding phone.
    Being a clamshell design the antenna is far enough away from the earpiece so that under weak conditions you won't get that very faint transmitter buzz in the W300 that you can hear on the W810, for example.
    Not only that, but I was pleasantly surprised upon the first call on the W300. While the W300 is a very "sweet spot" type phone in which position is key, once you find that position the sweet goodness of the transmitter buzz free W300 comes into its own.

outgoing
    The W300 is also very good with the outgoing audio. As most clamshell's in this segment, the W300 easily handles outgoing call quality with ease. Being a clamshell, of course, the Mic tends to be positioned closer to your mouth and not hanging off the side of your face. On my Face anyway, the W300's mic is a solid 1 inch away from my mouth which makes for some great outgoing sound. The W300 focuses more on the caller then the background noise and handles loud environments very well.

Camera
    The Camera on the W300 is similar to that of the Z520. It's a Vga camera with average quality and has the standard barrage of effects.
    Here are some various shots taken with the W300 in large (VGA) mode and a resolution setting of fine:

Aside from the 4 pic sizes of Large (640x480) Medium (320x240) Small (160x120) and Extended (Vga interpolated to 1.3mpix)
    The W300 camera also has effects, such as Panorama, Frames, and Burst. These effects have been covered in my previous W800 / W600 / Z520 reviews so take a look there if you will.

It's also worth noting, the W300 will not work with the MXE-60 Flash attachment.
    It will recognise it as the MXE-60, but it never fires.

Video Camera
    The W300 also features the standard issue Vid cam, for those moments you want to capture when a still image just won't do it justice

Add on accessories
    As already mentioned above, the MXE-60 Flash will not work with the W300, but the MPS-60 speaker set and MMR-60 FM trans work fine so no worries there if you're looking to invest, or already have, some of the great SE accessories

Battery
    The Battery life on the W300 is marvelous. Being connected all day to my Logitech headset or in the car to the car radio doesn't bother the W300. From 9am the W300 lasted me a day of wap posting, heavy SMS, calls and BT connectivity. On the late evenings when I got to bed around 3am I was still showing 20%. The W300 features a 900mah battery. The simple fact that it's also a clamshell with a colour saving orange monochrome external LCD also adds to it's longevity

Aesthetics
    The W300 has a clean look to it. It's available in White or black, but you'll have to pick because the covers aren't interchangeable like the Z520.

The MP3 walkman controls

The famous loop antenna

fastport connector and Walkman Logo

open view

back view. the Loop antenna isn't flush with the back

Internal screen
    the screen on the W300, like the Z520, is decent. However, after using the W810 and other 176x220 models you can really start so see the age in a 128x160 unit. Good news though, the upcoming W710/Z710's feature the 176x220 screen while the K790 will mark a triumphant return to the 320x240 screen of yesteryear (S710a)
    You have to put the W300 in place. At $99.99 3yr (at time of writing this) it's priced in the same league as Samsung's T609 and Motorola's V361. Both units are sporing a 176x220 screen as well.

External screen
    The External screen is SE orange monochrome. It's great.
    when i first reviewd the Z520 I had wanted a CSTN greyscale screen instead of the 4k CSTN unit that SE had used. I'm quite happy to state that the monochrome external LCD on the W300 is excellent. Easily readible in all but the sunniest of conditions, and even then you can make it out if you move it a bit.

Keypad
    Unfortunately, I'm not impressed at all with the W300's keypad. If you've used a Z520, you'll know what I mean.
    the Keypad is more an excersize in fashion then function in my opinion. In the 3 weeks I used the W300, errors were constant from me. I never did get used to the keypad on the W300, and being a heavy SMSer this is a big strike against the W300 for myself. It's miles away from the Z520's tactile feel and doesnt' compare at all. Going from a W810 to this was difficult to say the least, and i'm glad i'm back on the W810 to be honest.

The Dpad and top menu buttons however are quite functional and provide good tactile feel and a clean organized look to the phone.
    If you're the type that uses the keypad rarely and always dials through a phonebook you'll have some comfort in knowing these butons work well and provide tactile functionality and usage.

SMS
    nothing much has changed with SE's sms.
    it's still top notch, and still excellent, and still lacks the "cleanup" feature requiring you to go into the inbox, delete all, then the outbox, and delete all.
    Unfortunately the W300's Kepyad hinders SE's SMS system on this model. Kindly revisit my W810 review for my SE SMS blurb

Groups
    Making their triumphant return are SE's Groups.
    a great way to make predetermined lists of people you sms regularly to send them SPAM.

Build quality
    The W300 really doesnt' feel all that well built compared to it's Z520 brother.
    It doesn't have that satifsying click when opening and closing the unit, the hinge doesn't feel all that strong.

connectivity
    The SE W300 is no slouch in the connectivity department.
    Bluetooth, IR, Cable, M2 mem card. It's all in there.

USB cable
    SE packages the standard USB cable into the package as well so you can sync and load up music and media onto your W300.
    It will also charge the phone

EDGE
    The W300 is a class 10 EDGE device so you'll be able so receive and send your data fairly quickly

Removable Media
    The W300 from Rogers features a 512meg M2 memory card.
    Quite tiny in size it's found under the cover. It can also be accessed without removing the battery, but you'll have to remove the battery cover.

Walkman / Radio
    The W300, of course, features SE's walkman software. There have been no changes to the interface however so revisit the W600 / W810 reviews for pics

Misc
    The W300 is DRM protected from rogers out of the box
    what this means to you is that you'll be unable to set your MP3 music as ringtones.
    of course, you can simply flash generic to override the DRM controlls through a flasher in the marketplace. Contact them for further information.

Ratings:
    Performance.......................9
    Build quality........................7
    Battery life..........................10
    Features for $$....................9
    Keypad...............................4
    Camera...............................6
    Screen................................6
    Bluetooth implementation....10

Overall..................7.5

If you're looking for a Walkman phone, the W300 is a good choice. However, if you're not, the Z520 may be a better choice for heavy SMS'ers and general quality feel

PRO's
    *Quadband
    *Excellent RF
    *Excelelnt Battery
    *stable Software
    *Excellent SMS system
    *Good volume levels
    *Good outoing sound qualities
    *Good background supression
    *customizeable directional keys
    *Excellent phonebook implementations
    *Good Email client with SSL
    *excellent external SE orange screen

CON's
    *128x160 screen
    *No A2DP
    *DRM MP3 controll
    *not as quality feeling as Z520
    *Keypad is poor
    *New M2 format limited to 512meg currently
    *speakerphone not the greatest
    *VGA camera
    *no removable faceplates
    Last edited by Treatz; 10-11-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung Focus
    Carrier(s)
    CrazyGoNuts Wireless
    Feedback Score
    "*New M2 format limited to 512meg currently"

Um.. but I have 1GB M2 on my GF's Z610...
    Samsung Focus
    OS Version: 7.10.8773.98

My Nokia 5140b Review

My HoFo Feedbacks

Device(s)
    Sony W810
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great review. You've hit the nail on the head with this phone. My son loves it and it's perfect for him. It's cheap, it's a walkman phone and he uses the call list or his phone book to dial phone numbers. Best of all, he not an SMSer, so the keypad doesn't come into play for him.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Feedback Score
    Your SIM has seen better days, I see.

Excellent review, and exactly what I've heard about the model.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Which Bluetooth radio did you get? I'm looking for one that's compatible with SE phones, notably the Pioneer's.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider
    Which Bluetooth radio did you get? I'm looking for one that's compatible with SE phones, notably the Pioneer's.
    I'm using the Pioneer DEH-980BT.
    it's amazing. I recommend it throughly

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    awesome review

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    My thoughts exactly..especially that bunk arse keypad

Device(s)
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    Carrier(s)
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yay for Call Forwarding I thought I was the only person to use that under-advertised feature....well me and my *cough little birdie .

I'm curious why you gave it a 10 on BT? no a2dp is...how shall I word this...BUNK.

I ALWAYS pay homage to your crisp & vibrantly colourful pics. Well done.
    300 @ 5pm●5K SMS●Auto Roadside●Unlim Inc●1000LD●R2RLD●VP●6Gb LTDizzle+credits = <$36
    34+|0|0 119+|0|0

Factory Unlocked 5White32gb, GNote2x2, 9900 LNIB Retired, GS3 for Mobi
    i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 9Gb DDR3
    My Wireless LD FAQ., READ IT!!!
    The Jawbone I, photo-review
    Maybe it's time to update this....nahhhhh

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    10 for BT simply because at the $99 price point it's a better BT system then the T609 and V361 it's facing off against, IMHO

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, awesome review Treatz.

You pretty much said everything I wanted to say, but either forgot, or just didn't know.

If/when I do my next review, I've gotta find a better surface for taking pictures, and probably learn how to use my camera better.

It's a great WALKMAN PHONE, but not good for much else....

Device(s)
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    Carrier(s)
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    10 for BT simply because at the $99 price point it's a better BT system then the T609 and V361 it's facing off against, IMHO
    ok., 'The Big Picture' yes I can diggit.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard87
    ....I've gotta find a better surface for taking pictures, and probably learn how to use my camera better.....
    ahh yes, the timeless art of Seduction by Camera. Definatley an art form.

Practice makes perfect

Device(s)
    DoCoMo S0905iCS White, HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers 3G
    Feedback Score
    hahaha u have that much time to drive around the wilderness. but anways good review im thinking of getting one myself.

SE: T200, T237, K750i/W800i, w900, K800i (x2), w300, w600, z710i/w710, M600i, W810i, K790a, W580, T650i, W760i, W980i
    Apple: iPhone 8GB (x3), iPhone 3G 16GB White
    HTC: TyTn II, Cruise, Touch HD (x3), G1, Magic
    DoCoMo: SE SO905iCS (x2)
    SoftBank: HTC X01HT (x2), Samsung 707SC, Sharp 904sh
    Nokia: N95 8GB, Nokia E71-2, Nokia N79-3

Heatware: marktang

Device(s)
    BlackBerry BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless Canada ●
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

for a sec i thought that was the Cingular logo not call fwd.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast