Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats the difference between prepaid phones and contract phones?

Phones
    V551
    nokia 3595
    motorola v70
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

Whats the difference between prepaid phones and contract phones?

Hey guys, Im new with the pre paid phones. I just got my nokia 6030 and wonder whats the difference between this pre-paid phone and the contract phone? It both got the sim card slot? Is it possible to get an unlock phone and plug in the prepaid sim card in any unlock phone? or does it have to be only phones with prepaid? Im just a bit confuse on this. ..

If you cant so your saying that the Nokia 6030 (prepaid) was made differently than the Nokia 6030 (contract ) ?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Phones on prepaid and post paid are pretty much interchangeable....as in exactly the same phone sold in different packaging. Although I understand that all/most of the future TMO phones on post paid will have MyFaves on them which can't be used on prepaid but the phone should still be able to be used without that feature.

You can put your pre-paid SIM in any GSM phone as long as it has the correct bands and is either from the same carrier or unlocked.

Many people buy prepaid phones to use for their post paid accounts because it's cheaper than buying the same phone as an upgrade and no contract extension is required.

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingV551
    Hey guys, Im new with the pre paid phones. I just got my nokia 6030 and wonder whats the difference between this pre-paid phone and the contract phone? It both got the sim card slot? Is it possible to get an unlock phone and plug in the prepaid sim card in any unlock phone? or does it have to be only phones with prepaid? Im just a bit confuse on this. ..

If you cant so your saying that the Nokia 6030 (prepaid) was made differently than the Nokia 6030 (contract ) ?
    There's no difference at all. Prepaid 6030 and monthly billed 6030 are the same phone. The 6030 prepaid "kit" comes with an activation code and $10 credit. The monthly billed postpaid comes with a SIM card if this is your first phone. If you already have service it may not come with a SIM card.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phones
    V551
    nokia 3595
    motorola v70
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Ahh I see... So I got my Nokia 6030... and the sim is activate and all.. are you guys saying I can go to http://www.howardforums.com, and pick up any phone from them unlocked... and slip in my pre paid sim card in their phone and it will work just like post paid?

Phone
    LG Optimus Elite
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekom
    There's no difference at all.
    Tracfone is the one exception. Tracfone phones (fones?) have proprietary software that is required for use of the Tracfone service.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ahh I see... So I got my Nokia 6030... and the sim is activate and all.. are you guys saying I can go to http://www.howardforums.com, and pick up any phone from them unlocked... and slip in my pre paid sim card in their phone and it will work just like post paid?
    As stated above, yes.

Phones
    V551
    nokia 3595
    motorola v70
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    oh i see.. gotcha... thanks for the info guys!

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BradC
    Tracfone is the one exception. Tracfone phones (fones?) have proprietary software that is required for use of the Tracfone service.

And Net10 is also owned by Tracfone, and their handsets are also proprietary. Not only are the handsets of both Net10 and Tracfone locked, they are locked to only accept the SIM card that is assigned to the IMEI number, and you cannot switch a Net10 SIM with a Tracfone SIM, or even one Net10 or Tracfone SIM for another of the same logo! If you choose to eat at the Tracfone buffet, you're not allowed to swipe a Net10 SIM for dessert, in other words.

Having said all that, Net10 is a great deal if you're in a good reception area for it. No daily fees and a cheap refill card is the same price/minute as an expensive one. Cheap cards ($30) expire in 60 days, however, which is a drawback if you don't talk much. And try not to need customer service help from either Net10 or Tracfone.... :-(
    I guess I don't know the right people, because I can't get away with anything around here... Rest assured, though, I will never maliciously properly quote anybody again!

Phones
    V551
    nokia 3595
    motorola v70
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    hmm whats a Tracphone and wat is a Net10 phone? Is my Nokia 6030 a Net10 phone? What are some TRace phone or Net10?

Phones
    Moto z6m
    Samsung u520(Retired)
    Moto Rokr(Retired)
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    hmm whats a Tracphone and wat is a Net10 phone? Is my Nokia 6030 a Net10 phone? What are some TRace phone or Net10?
    No, your 6030 is not a net10 phone. Tracfone and net10 are service providers.

www.tracfone.com

www.net10.com

Feedback Score
    If your nokia 6030 is unlocked you can use it with any of the GSM network providers.

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellgirl#1
    If your nokia 6030 is unlocked you can use it with any of the GSM network providers.

EXCEPT Net10 or Tracfone... Those providers require you to use their phone and register your SIM to your IMEI. I can't even swap my SIM card from my Net10 phone into my husband's Net10 phone, and the phones are both GSM and both are registered with Net10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gnitgnat
    EXCEPT Net10 or Tracfone... Those providers require you to use their phone and register your SIM to your IMEI. I can't even swap my SIM card from my Net10 phone into my husband's Net10 phone, and the phones are both GSM and both are registered with Net10.
    I'm glad I don't have either of those two providers. I'm always changing my unlocked phones around on my Cingular and TMobile accounts.

Phones
    V551
    nokia 3595
    motorola v70
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    so as long as the phone is unlocked.. im good to swap my sim in it?

Phones
    Nokia 6010 (2) unlocked
    Moto i415, Nokia 2126, Nokia 2600
    Nokia 3560, KX414
    Carriers
    Packet8 VOIP, TMO2GO, Boost,
    (Former: USA1Rate, and "Reformed" Contract customer of USCC, ATTWS)
    Feedback Score
    Any GSM phone, if unlocked, should accept a SIM and service from any GSM service provider (except Net10 and Tracfone GSM services). If the phone is unlocked then voice and SMS service will work right off the bat. If the phone is "branded" by a provider (says "Tmobile" on the phone, for example) then any TMO SIM will work in it without unlocking. Also it will be configured for MMS and Data (internet) already. Same is true for cingular "branded" phones and a cingular SIM. Now, if you have a TMO branded phone that is unlocked then voice and SMS will work with a Cingula SIM. On order to use MMS and data you can configure the phone (for free) to use MMS and Data. On top of that the 6030 operates on 850 and 1900 frequencies, so the phone will work with any GSM SIM and provider in North America. If you travel out of North America they use different frequencies (900/1800), so the 6030 wouldn't work. But a "quadband" phone would work 850/900/1800/1900 anywhere that GSM service is offered in the world with the right SIM card.

Bottom line. An unlocked Nokia 6030 will work with any GSM provider's SIM in Norh America.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast