Thread: Block text messages from a specific person?

Phone
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score

Block text messages from a specific person?

I friend of mine has been getting many texts from this guy who is infatuated with her, in a weird way (pierre pierce style, for any iowa basketball fans). She has told him to stop texting her, and now it only happens when this guy gets really hammered; he'll send her 10+ text messages saying "i love you" etc. She doesn't want to pursue any legal ramifications; she just wants to block all text messages from him. Is this possible? Both are USCC customers, if that matters...

Phone
    Snap!!!
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'm think probably not, but for the question's sake what kind of phone does your friend have?
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGeek
    You will never find a more wretched hive of bad spelling and stupidity.
    Come to The Far Side. We have cookies

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T | U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Here's a strange idea: create a custom ringtone for that number in which the ringtone itself is a blank recording, i.e. a recording of dead silence. This should apply to calls and text, etc.

It should work on a v810 but you will have send the ringtone via an MMS.

Just an idea...

Phone
    Snap!!!
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fincher
    Here's a strange idea: create a custom ringtone for that number in which the ringtone itself is a blank recording, i.e. a recording of dead silence. This should apply to calls and text, etc.

It should work on a v810 but you will have send the ringtone via an MMS.

Just an idea...
    I like that man, good stuff. If you can't block it here's how you ignore it

Phone
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Ex-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    no way to block calls with USCC?

Phone
    Yes
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular,
    Feedback Score
    Not through the network. It's either all or nothing. Depending on your phone, you can restrict outbound calls to only numbers stored in your contacts; some phones also allow you to restrict incoming calls in the same way. If you have a Nokia, you CAN restrict calls from individual numbers. I'm not sure if this also restricts SMS from the numbers you've restricted, I've never tried it.

Edit: I just tried it. Text messages from restricted numbers still come through on my Nokia 6255i.
    Last edited by tennessee31; 10-18-2006 at 04:55 PM.

Phone
    HTC PPC6800SP (Unlocked Sprint Mogul)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless Retired: US Cellular,
    Feedback Score
    I get asked this a lot actually. But it is all or nothing. We usually advise people to change their number if it is that bothersome. Or, you can do what I did when my crazy ex kept pestering me - threaten to get the police involved for harassment.

Phone
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    Ok, thanks for your help, kinda what i had thought, all or nothing. She has a Samsung SCH-a850. Even if she created a custom silent ringtone, she'd still see all the psycho messages.....

Phone
    Palm® TreoTM 700wx
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrozendaal
    I friend of mine has been getting many texts from this guy who is infatuated with her, in a weird way (pierre pierce style, for any iowa basketball fans). She has told him to stop texting her, and now it only happens when this guy gets really hammered; he'll send her 10+ text messages saying "i love you" etc. She doesn't want to pursue any legal ramifications; she just wants to block all text messages from him. Is this possible? Both are USCC customers, if that matters...
    Have you looked around USCC's web site ? I would think you should be able to do that. On other services, like Alltel, I know you just go to the web site, log in, and you have sort of a anti-spam type system that allows you all kinds of blocks . You can also send a txt msg to a special number ( 888 i think ) like B 617-260-1212 and it blocks all from that number.

The fun part is, when you block someone , if they try to send you a txt they get " "YOU HAVE BEEN BLOCKED FROM ORIGINATING MESSAGES TO THIS SUBSCRIBER."

I hate txt messages so I love that !

I guess a phone could sort of do the same thing but if it is a function of the phone I think even if the phone ignores the messages you would still get billed for them (assuming you don't have unlimited txt).

Hello. If you are hearing this it means that I am busy, I have lost my phone again, the battery is dead, or I am dead. Please leave a message and I will return your call as soon as I have time, I find my phone, I charge my battery or you buy a wiji board.

Feedback Score
    That's not currently available. I have no idea if it's planned to be available when OLAM launches or not, although that would so rock.

Keep the Faith,

Lance

Phone
    a lot
    Carrier
    none
    Feedback Score
    is my mom texting you again? sorry
    hardees rules.

Phone
    Palm® TreoTM 700wx
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Do you get charged for the incomming txt ?

Surely if they charge you for every incoming txt then they have to give you at least some level of control over who can send them to you don't they ?

Would be like not having the option to refuse a collect call.

Phone
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    There is no charge for incoming texts.