Phones
    iPhone 3G (arriving 2.6.09!)
    BB Curve 8310
    Nokia E71-2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question Cingular Blue vs Orange SIM??

I've been a very very loyal AT&T customer for years and have resisted switching over to the other side. It's becoming a bit frustrating since they provide almost NO customer service for us oldies and have very limited plans. But my voice plan is incredible and will be hard to give up.

But now that I have my E70-2 and am considering the N75 if/when Cingular decides to release it, is it worth switching over? I'm no so much concerned about the plans and such as I've done my research on that end. My big question is if my connection will be any faster. Do I get EDGE speeds with my Blue SIM? It doesn't seem like it to me but can anyone confirm? Also, I'm not really sure about the whole 3G SIM thing either.

Can one of you explain this to me? Thanks!!!

Carriers
    AT&T
    3 UK
    Feedback Score
    You should get EDGE speeds with your current plan. As for the 3G part, you'll need a 3G SIM.

Pritesh
    Nation 550 FamilyTalk, 9PM Nights & Weekends, Unlimited Mobile to Mobile, Unlimited BIS + 1500 B2B SMS ($8.99) + 500 free SMS

Phone
    AT&T Tilt 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Pritesh,

I'm able to utilize the 3G network in Chicago on my blue sim. Access to 3G is not dependent on the SIM, it's dependent on the phone that you use.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I put an old Blue SIM in my phone and it registered on the 3G network in the SF Bay Area. I didn't check how well it can hold calls on 3G with that SIM though.

I'm actually surprised that you can connect to UMTS without a USIM. I thought UMTS required mutual authentication (phone to network and network to phone) that 2G SIMs don't provide.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223
    I put an old Blue SIM in my phone and it registered on the 3G network in the SF Bay Area. I didn't check how well it can hold calls on 3G with that SIM though.

I'm actually surprised that you can connect to UMTS without a USIM. I thought UMTS required mutual authentication (phone to network and network to phone) that 2G SIMs don't provide.
    At some point AT&T started using 3G SIMs, since they rolled out 3G in several markets. I'm not sure how that timing compares to when you got your AT&T SIM.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59
    At some point AT&T started using 3G SIMs, since they rolled out 3G in several markets. I'm not sure how that timing compares to when you got your AT&T SIM.
    It was a friend's AT&T SIM from around the time they initially launched GAIT, issued to a GSM-only account. No 3G was operating anywhere in the world at that time, except maybe DoCoMo.

Phones
    iPhone 3G (arriving 2.6.09!)
    BB Curve 8310
    Nokia E71-2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So is the consensus thay I can keep my Blue SIM & calling plans AND still upgrade to the Nokia N75 (unlocked) if/when it comes out? I love my E70 and it works great, but I'm not really finding the data moving any faster than it was on my 6820, which wasn't EDGE capable. Although, the speed is pretty good when I tether via BT. I was surprised at how good it was.

How do I know if my phone is using EDGE vs GPRS? And 3G is dependent on the phone, not the SIM?

I don't really want to switch over to Orange if it isn't really worth it. I hate their current plans and I still can't believe they charge for incoming text messages. My old AT&T plan is amazing and if my Blue SIM can get me the same connections and coverage, I'm happy to stay.
    Last edited by E70NY; 11-19-2006 at 11:59 AM.