Thread: What does "Forwarding On" displaying on my cell phone mean?

Feedback Score

What does "Forwarding On" displaying on my cell phone mean?

Sometimes when I make a call the display says "Forwarding On". I have a Moto v3i and have Cingular GSM service.

Does this mean I'm roaming on someone other than Cingular's tower so it is "Forwarding"? I haven't changed any call forwarding settings...

Feedback Score
    I am guessing is when you make an outgoing call, for that particular moment, all incoming calls will be forwarded to your voicemail.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Try powering off your phone and turning it back on....

Place a call and see if it still does it...

Carrier
    U.S.: Verizon, T-Mobile USA; CH: Sunrise; D: Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    When I had T-Mobile service, my phone would always show "Forwarding On" when I was roaming...not sure if the same applies to this Cingular phone.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094
    When I had T-Mobile service, my phone would always show "Forwarding On" when I was roaming...not sure if the same applies to this Cingular phone.
    Im pretty sure Andy is correct. It doesnt mean your getting charged roaming fees necessarily. It just means your call is being forwarded through another provider. Confusing I know, of course they couldnt use a different word.

Carriers
    at&t
    t-mo
    Feedback Score
    I had that happen to me when i was on the east cost. Every call i would make would say forwarding active. It also happens when i use my phone in mexico.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094
    This makes sense to me since I'm roaming right now and my Motorola's will display this for outgoing calls. I never saw this message while on the Cingular network.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00
    This makes sense to me since I'm roaming right now and my Motorola's will display this for outgoing calls. I never saw this message while on the Cingular network.
    I see this type of message when calling in Australia, with an Australian prepaid SIM in an unlocked T-Mobile phone.

Must be a service message from the carrier.

Phones
    Blackberry Pearl (Red)
    Motorola A1200r
    Sony Ericsson 810i
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    In Riverside, CA and it's been doing that on my Slvr all weekend.

Phones
    AT&T Tilt
    V3XX, L7
    V3C (got rid of it)
    Carriers
    Alltel for a while...
    Feedback Score
    my slvr has always displayed this, i live on the east coast also. doesnt seem to effect anything...but i guess i wouldnt really know.
    i just wish i could get the annoying buzz out of the earpiece...

Feedback Score
    This happens in the UK on all networks except for Orange (i think...). Either way, in the UK at least, it has nothing to with roaming. Call Forwarding is where you can set your phone to forward calls to another number under a bunch of different conditions - for example, when you're out of coverage, when you're already in a call, when you don't answer your phone and so on. usually these are all just set to your voicemail number. Your phone saying 'call forwarding on' i think is supposed to mean incoming calls will be forwarded to the number you've specified for when you're 'busy', although now most providers have call waiting that isn't what will actually happen - your phone will beep and the call will wait, unless you don't pick it up in which case it'll be forwarded to your voicemail.

i think the reason it sometimes displays it and sometimes doesn't is because the cingular network is made up of different networks that used to belong to different people, and so some parts of it are still set up to tell your phone to say 'call forwarding on' and some aren't. since it still tells you forwarding is on even when it isn't (because you have call waiting) it doesn't, in effect, mean anything at all.

[EDIT: i think on Nokia's when you make a call the message displayed is "Active incoming call diverts". i've just noticed it's stopped saying this on my sidekick on t-mobile uk now, so maybe it sometimes doesn't happen here either?]
    Last edited by voodoofish; 11-28-2006 at 09:23 AM.

Phones
    Nokia N900, Nokia E75, Nokia 5800XM
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nokia N900
    Nokia N810, Nokia E71
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    It is indeed telling you that your forwarding to voicemail is active. My 6340i said that on many of Cingular's networks, as did my AT&T branded 6200. (Actually, they said "Call Forwarding Enabled," but it's just slightly different wording)