Thread: anyway to avoid activation fee?

Feedback Score

anyway to avoid activation fee?

i am thinking about changing my service provider from verizon to cingular. since realizing that you only get a good deal if you are a new customer and also being able to port your number now, i figure i'll just change carriers at the end of my contract to get the best deal possible.
    now on to my question. after looking over the major carriers phones and plans, cingular seems to be a pretty good provider. the only thing i dont like is the activation fees. if i am reading it correctly, to activate a family plan with two line you have to pay $36 for the first line then another $26 for the second? is that correct? that seems awfully expensive just to activate service. does cingular ever offer free activation specials or is there any other way to avoid some of these fees?

Phone
    Lumia 521
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Most FAN accounts, discounts via an employer, have the activation fees waived.

Phones
    Nokia N97 Black NAM
    Nokia E63 Blue NAM
    Nokia 5800 NAM
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by starnz
    i am thinking about changing my service provider from verizon to cingular. since realizing that you only get a good deal if you are a new customer and also being able to port your number now, i figure i'll just change carriers at the end of my contract to get the best deal possible.
    now on to my question. after looking over the major carriers phones and plans, cingular seems to be a pretty good provider. the only thing i dont like is the activation fees. if i am reading it correctly, to activate a family plan with two line you have to pay $36 for the first line then another $26 for the second? is that correct? that seems awfully expensive just to activate service. does cingular ever offer free activation specials or is there any other way to avoid some of these fees?
    Every carrier has activation fees.

Phones
    Cingular 8525
    Blackberry 7130
    Motorola v3i
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    You could not activate service. You won't have to worry about paying activation fees then.

Phones
    sprint8330.
    iphone3Gs
    most HTC devices.
    Carriers
    spa-reent.
    Feedback Score
    dont let carriers fool you; they can waive activation fees if they REALLY want your business.

Phones
    Nokia N97 Black NAM
    Nokia E63 Blue NAM
    Nokia 5800 NAM
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mafiazz
    dont let carriers fool you; they can waive activation fees if they REALLY want your business.
    No, actually they can't. At least the people in charge of activating you don't have the authority to waive the activation fee. What makes you so special that you feel you shouldn't have to pay it? Did you pay an activation fee for your electricity? How about your water? Did you have to pay to get your home telephone hooked up? Oh, but wireless service is different.

Let me guess, you're probably going to want free phones, too, and to sign up on the $59.99 family plan and have ALL extra stuff like texting, data, and pictures all blocked, right? You're the PERFECT customer....

Phone
    SE 810i
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcadden
    No, actually they can't. At least the people in charge of activating you don't have the authority to waive the activation fee. What makes you so special that you feel you shouldn't have to pay it? Did you pay an activation fee for your electricity? How about your water? Did you have to pay to get your home telephone hooked up? Oh, but wireless service is different.

Let me guess, you're probably going to want free phones, too, and to sign up on the $59.99 family plan and have ALL extra stuff like texting, data, and pictures all blocked, right? You're the PERFECT customer....

Raccdden, dude you sounded bitter. What happen? your gf/bf dumped you over cellphone?
    Hallo!

Phones
    Nokia N97 Black NAM
    Nokia E63 Blue NAM
    Nokia 5800 NAM
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gthotmail
    Raccdden, dude you sounded bitter. What happen? your gf/bf dumped you over cellphone?
    Not bitter, just worked in retail for too long. Usually the people who expect (or demand) to be treated as though they're God and don't have to follow the same rules as anyone else are the ones who want the lowest plan with the cheapest phone, and they usually bring in the Wirefly ad for six free bluetooth headsets and want you match, that, also.

Getting a cellphone isn't like going to a used car dealer, where they show you the suggested price and then you haggle everything down.

Cingular (and every other carrier) spends billions of dollars printing their rate plans on brochures, including all the terms of service, including the ETF and activation fees. Why would they waste all that money if you could just say, "eh, I don't want to pay to activate this." and it'd be done? That's the way the industry works. I get agitated by people who feel companies should bend over and take it in the rear just for your business.

Phones
    V3xx
    Blackjack
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcadden
    I get agitated by people who feel companies should bend over and take it in the rear just for your business.
    THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME!

Why is there reduced fees with FAN accounts? Cingular has determined they will take less in exchange for the business!

So we're just arguing about the price (ie how much 'business' Cingular may gain in the transaction) and not about whether or not they will discount!

PS I ordered three phones, migrated an account with two lines to orange and added a third line... guess what they charged for expedited shipping? Gasp- they're not SUPPOSED to discount that! And then they added Bonus minutes for two years! WHAT?!?! Then free 7-7 for a year.. what were they thinking... dang retail customer.

Phone
    SE 810i
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    A bit off topic: activation fee is too much to handle. I've got 3lines: 36+26+26=88+tax. I think mine came out around 110.

Phones
    Nokia N97 Black NAM
    Nokia E63 Blue NAM
    Nokia 5800 NAM
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I realize they do it all the time, it just bothers me.

However, FAN accounts are entirely different than consumer accounts. Why? Cause a FAN represents a minimum amount of business. And typically business accounts are going to pay for the "extra" stuff that consumers typically don't, like data.