Thread: Sprint Coverage in Washington State

Phone
    nokia 6230b
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Sprint Coverage in Washington State

I am thinking of moving over to Sprint from Verizon and I was just curious how the coverage is. It appears on the map that quite a bit of analog roaming is available so would I need to purchase a tri-band phone?

Thanks

Phones
    Tour
    EVO 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Tprophet this is all you!!!

Phones
    HTC Dopod C730
    Pinapple PinPhone 3GS
    Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    China Unicom
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SANYO 6600: Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-9000/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

In Washington, Sprint coverage will be comparable to Verizon with a digital-only phone. You'll have more coverage available with a tri-mode phone than Verizon offers, even when comparing Verizon tri-mode coverage. Sprint also permits data roaming when you're using the US Cellular network, which is the primary Sprint roaming partner in much of eastern and southwest Washington. As to the specifics of Sprint coverage in your area, you'll need to tell us where you're located for recommendations.

Phone
    Samsung Moment
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    His profile says Spokane...I've been in Spokane just about weekly since September, and I've always had great coverage. On US 195 up from Pullman, I get signal just about the entire way, where before with Verizon and T-Mobile it was very spotty most of the drive.

EDIT: This is with a non-analog phone and everything's fine. I carried an analog model before this and it wasn't enough of an improvement to sacrifice EV-DO offerings when I'm in the Seattle area.
    Last edited by bretterson109; 12-04-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Carrier
    G'zOne Type-V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryce10s
    I am thinking of moving over to Sprint from Verizon and I was just curious how the coverage is. It appears on the map that quite a bit of analog roaming is available so would I need to purchase a tri-band phone?

Thanks

I carry Sprint in the Lynnwood Bothell Woodinville area and it works great everywhere I go.

Phone
    EVO
    Carrier
    SPRINTPCS
    Feedback Score
    Where to start??! First off, tprophet knows all because he is the Northwest area prophet. If he ever got off his butt and made his famous travels with in depth road by road coverage (its been awhile!!) he’d give you the perfect answer.

Bretterson109 is very correct. Pullman has excellent coverage. I don’t like to be stuck up but I feel that it’s the network that I built. Back in 2001 sprint had a few towers, one being a mobile tower. I complained every night, wrote letters to the newspaper and raised hell. Its now a great cell phone spot (except football games)! And coverage rocks from Pullman to Spokane especially compared to other carriers. Coverage sucks when you leave the main road though. If you are the rural type look at the Unicell or Inland Cellular. (again its better if you give a certain location where you are then a state) So lets talk about Spokane…

Sprint’s network in Spokane sucks! Vzw is the service to have in the Spokane area. I was last in Spokane less then a year ago. There are huge and annoying dead spots that just doesn’t make sense and still haven’t fixed. For instance, the Gonzaga campus has zero to no bars. Going up the South hill on Southeast Blvd has a large dead spot. The campus of Whitworth is a common drop call area. Again, once you leave the main drag coverage sucks. And there are two kickers. The dead spots are fringe areas, so if you had roaming it will pick the crapy Sprint over Verizon. And for a long time Ubiqutel didn’t have a nice roaming package. I90 to Seattle rocks! Not much native Sprint on Hwy2. Also keep in mind that the Spokane network was bought by Sprint Corp. I’d imagine (hope) a lot of changes. Ubiqutel was known for terrible networks. My fiancé lived in Spokane and Sprint drove me nuts up there!

My time in Spokane was spent with a Sanyo 7200 bar cell phone. This older model phone is known best for its superior reception.

Sprint in Western WA is great! I’m glad to have sprint in the Seattle area. I haven’t heard when Spokane will get EVDO. Like I tell everyone though, take sprint for a test drive! Sprint has overall been a great provider for me. Good luck!

Phone
    nokia 6230b
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I currently live in Spokane but I also spend quite a bit of time in Yakima. Is the coverage good in these areas? I can't understand why Spokane would have terrible coverage in and around Gonzaga

Phone
    EVO
    Carrier
    SPRINTPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryce10s
    I currently live in Spokane but I also spend quite a bit of time in Yakima. Is the coverage good in these areas? I can't understand why Spokane would have terrible coverage in and around Gonzaga
    I know! It drove me nuts! Again I hope its (gets) better! No clue about Yakima. If you use HWY 26 its a hit or miss. No coverage from HWY 395 to Colfax on HWY 26. Again very spotty coverage from HWY 395 to Vantage on HWY 26 but it seems to get better every couple of months. I've never drove up or down HWY395.

Phones
    HTC Dopod C730
    Pinapple PinPhone 3GS
    Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    China Unicom
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm getting way more credit than is justified. I do travel a lot around the Great Northwest, but it's way too big an area for me to know every inch of the place.

Spokane isn't the best market for Sprint; drlovety pretty much nailed it. The area was, until recently, served by an affiliate carrier called Ubiquitel. They were nearly bankrupt and provided minimal coverage. Sprint finally bought them out, and they've set about fixing the networks (in particular, by adding CDMA panels to Nextel towers to help fill in coverage). Unfortunately, this doesn't happen overnight; it'll take time, and I don't expect dramatic improvement for another year or two. Verizon is the undisputed coverage leader in Spokane and northern Idaho.

However, before you count Sprint out, there is Yakima to consider. Sprint's network there is excellent. It was built by Washington-Oregon Wireless, and then taken over by Alamosa PCS before Sprint bought them last year. Both affiliates engineered good, high-quality networks. Verizon, meanwhile, only recently built a network there. It's barely a year old, and while initial reviews have been pretty good, it always takes time to work out the bugs in any new network. Sprint has a pretty mature network in Yakima, and I expect that they will perform better than Verizon in that area (although do keep in mind, this is pure speculation on my part; I haven't tested both carriers side-by-side personally there).

Finally, there are roaming partners to consider. Verizon can roam on Sprint, US Cellular, and Inland Cellular in eastern Washington. Sprint can roam on Verizon and US Cellular (digital and analog), along with Cingular and Unicel (analog-only). With a tri-mode phone, you will have more available coverage in eastern Washington than Verizon offers. With a digital-only phone, though, Verizon edges out Sprint for coverage in the Palouse, since they can roam on Inland Cellular.

I say this a lot, but it's because it bears repeating: no carrier offers the best service everywhere. The only way to know for sure is to try out the service where you live, work and play. Sprint offers a 30 day tryout period, so take advantage! If you return the phone within 30 days, you'll pay only for the service you used.
    Last edited by TProphet; 12-04-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Phone
    Samsung Moment
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I agree that the bar count in Spokane isn't always very high, I've yet to drop a call, or not have service when I need to make a call up there. That's all I really care about, and it's worked fine for me.