Thread: Will SIM hold all of my contacts?

Carriers
    att
    tmo
    Feedback Score

Will SIM hold all of my contacts?

I'm switching phones from a Nokia 3200 to a 3620. Presently, my contacts are mostly in phone memory (which I realize now is probably the wrong place for them). I want to transfer them to my SIM before I switch it to the new phone. My phone memory is maxed out, mostly with pictures and sounds, so when I need to enter a new contact, it must go to SIM memory. I imagine the SIM will hold all of the contacts that will fit in the 3200, but thought I'd ask:
    Will the SIM hold all of my contacts?
    If it won't, what would happen if I tried to transfer them?

I have an ATT blue SIM and accompanying plan (1100 minutes+free n&w @ $40/month). I want to make sure I don't fry it, because even though I just bought a brand new replacement, it would be difficult to find a Cingular rep who would activate it.
    Thanks in advance.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    PC Suite isn't an option?

Your sim card will only store numbers by contact name. You'll lose the info as to whether a number is home/business/cell.

Carriers
    att
    tmo
    Feedback Score
    I have a mac. The 3620 syncs with OS X using iSync, but the 3200 doesn't. My father has a windows computer, but it isn't stable enough to do anything sensitive. I thought about taking it to a Cingular store, but I don't want to let that SIM out of my sight. Furthermore, I must admit I don't fully trust them not to "accidentally" screw something up, "requiring" migration to orange. Does the SIM have to be in the phone in order to operate it enough to use PC Suite? If not, then I suppose I could take it to a store. I've even thought of getting a windows machine to use with this and a few other things, but can't really justify, nor afford the expense. The other thing I can, and may have to do, is to take some notes on paper, transfer my contacts to SIM, then manually assign them classifications. It's a pain, but it may be the only way, besides finding someone willing to install PC Suite on his computer for me.
    Last edited by joeschmeaux; 12-08-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeschmeaux
    My father has a windows computer, but it isn't stable enough to do anything sensitive.
    I don't think that will be an issue. You're basically copying the contacts to the PC and then copying the contacts from the PC to your new phone. I've had my PC lock up while my phone was hooked up and it didn't affect the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeschmeaux
    Does the SIM have to be in the phone in order to operate it enough to use PC Suite?
    I've never tried it but I don't see a problem with that.

Phones
    Nokia e61
    Nokia 8801
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think the sim has to be in the phone, but the phone has to startup. Most of the older phones won't start without a sim so then it wouldn't work with pc suite. Also a lot of the Cingular stores have the little machines that can copy your phonebook from one phone to another that is an option.

Carriers
    att
    tmo
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies.
    gregh2000, is there any way those little machines could damage the SIM? I tried to start my phone without the SIM, but it wounldn't. Do you or anyone else think my fear of something "happening" to my SIM while it's out of my hands is unfounded?
    Brinn, my father's PC usually crashes after a few minutes. Until he gets his data off of it, and reloads the OS, it's pretty worthless. Since he recently replaced it with a MacBook Pro, it's not likely to be happen in the near future.

Phones
    Nokia e61
    Nokia 8801
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    as far as i know as long as your phone is plugged into the source port on those machines it won't write to it or do anything. what they normally do is plug your old phone in with the sim in it into the machine then write it to your new phone on the target side or directly to a sim card in the little slot

Phones
    Nokia e61
    Nokia 8801
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    they should also be able to take your old sim card and put it in the bigger adapter thing and put it in the slot to read off of it. as long as the person knows what they are doing i don't think there would be a problem. they do it all the time to everyone's phones