Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's a PUK code?

Device(s)
    motorola v3 razr
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Orange
    Feedback Score

What's a PUK code?

Can anybody tell me what "PUK" stands for, and what a PUK code actually is? I e-mailed cingular once because i accidently locked the sim, and i needed one of these codes. They e-mailed me back with the PUK 1 and the PUK 2. What is the difference?? and what are they? i got the problem resolved, but i noticed that the cingular e-mail was in my inbox and im still scratching my head as to what the heck it all means...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    It stands for PIN Unblocking and is to unlock/change your SIM's PIN when you enable the SIM's PIN.

PUK1 is required to change the SIM's PIN.

PUK2 is required to change a blocked PIN2 code when you enable Fixed Dialing or a phone/SIM feature that requires a PIN2 code.

Next time read the manual as it is explained in it.

Edit: Actually the Moto V551 manual doesn't explain it enough, I had to look in the Nokia 6230b manual for more clarification.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Device(s)
    AT&T Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You're going to have to call Cingular to get your PUK code. (Why they don't give you this code when you buy a SIM is retarded IMO)

And on a side note: Motorola Manuals are seriously about worthless. They only go over they very BASIC operation of the phone and doesn't explain ****.
    AT&T Nexus One. Stock, rooted, amonRA recovery.
    AT&T Galaxy Tab, Gingerbread, rooted, some other stuff.

Feedback Score

Red face you can also have it done at a cingular store

in a company based cingular store they can look up the PUK code...if they know how to....I do but that doesn't help you much

next time don't play with your sim card..

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GldRush98
    You're going to have to call Cingular to get your PUK code. (Why they don't give you this code when you buy a SIM is retarded IMO)
    Because the PUK code changes. So they can give it to you, but it will be worthless after a while. I think it only lasts a month or two.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Device(s)
    V3
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angelahk26f
    in a company based cingular store they can look up the PUK code...if they know how to....I do but that doesn't help you much

Atleast they quit before they completely locked up the card all together. I have had people lock themselves out of the card alltogether and had to buy a new sim. Kinda funny cause i have no idea where they got the idea to try and punch in a code that they have no clue what it is or where to find it.
    Call me AGENT ORANGE

THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE

2000 bmw 323i is my new addition to my garage.

Device(s)
    AT&T 8925 Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular now AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDScott302
    Atleast they quit before they completely locked up the card all together. I have had people lock themselves out of the card alltogether and had to buy a new sim. Kinda funny cause i have no idea where they got the idea to try and punch in a code that they have no clue what it is or where to find it.
    Yeah! Then they call in telling you that they just powered off then on the cell phone and it said sim disabled.

Device(s)
    nokia 6230b
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angelahk26f

its not hard to find just go to change equipment and it shows the puk code next to the iccid

Feedback Score
    Mine has been the same for the last three years (since I first switched to GSM).

Quote Originally Posted by bobolito
    Because the PUK code changes. So they can give it to you, but it will be worthless after a while. I think it only lasts a month or two.

Feedback Score
    Where did you learn this? I'm fairly certain it isn't correct.

Device(s)
    C905a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this because in Europe they give you the PUK code with the sim card. Most SIM cards there come locked already so that you have to type a pin everytime you power on the phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    Cingular told me it changes. I had to call to get the PUK code on two different occasions for the same SIM card and it was different. I guess in Europe they don't change it.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8530
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Cingular told me it changes. I had to call to get the PUK code on two different occasions for the same SIM card and it was different. I guess in Europe they don't change it.
    Weird...mines been the same for both of my SIM cards. I just write it down and I have even tested it before by getting the PUK Code Requirement on and entering it to see it. Now I write all my PUK codes on the back of my SIM Card.

Device(s)
    Iphone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aznnerdwannabe
    Weird...mines been the same for both of my SIM cards. I just write it down and I have even tested it before by getting the PUK Code Requirement on and entering it to see it. Now I write all my PUK codes on the back of my SIM Card.
    Just requested mine. Was told that it`s good for that sim only, no time limit.

Feedback Score
    Now I write all my PUK codes on the back of my SIM Card.
    You know this defeats the whole purpose of having a PIN on the card in the first place, right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast