Thread: What does OEM mean?

Phone
    Nokia E61
    Carrier
    Vodafone Australia
    Feedback Score

What does OEM mean?

I know by definition it means Other Equipment Mfg (or so I think). But, in the context of cell phone housings, does it mean the official housing used to or supplied to Nokia? Or the reverse?

If it means the former, can "OEM" labeled housing on eBay be trusted?

Phone
    Nokia 5800 Navigation
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

And to answer your question about Ebay, no I wouldn't trust it.
    Look at the seller's feedback, question the seller to verify that it is OEM.
    If it turns out not to be OEM you'll have grounds to dispute the sale.
    Last edited by CaptShadow; 12-15-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Phone
    Nokia E61
    Carrier
    Vodafone Australia
    Feedback Score
    Thank you! "Original" vs. "Other" is a big difference!

Phone
    Kyo7135
    Carrier
    Bellus
    Feedback Score
    don't buy "OEM" or "original" or "genuine" housings on Ebay
    most of those guys are crooks
    they may look like OEM from a distance
    but when you look closely you know its fake
    I have purchased "OEM" housing from ebay before
    the gasket on the front housing to keep the dust away wasn't there, not to mention there were scratches on there.
    Last edited by sf1; 12-16-2006 at 12:51 AM.

Phones
    HTC 8525
    Nokia 6682, Nokia E62
    *SOLD* Blackjack, 6620, SLVR
    Carrier
    Cingular-Orange
    Feedback Score
    My roommate bought an OEM housing for his 6682, it fits better than the cingular version and has a more durable finish...so just be weary when buying OEM, don't rule it out.

Phones
    A3LSGHI337, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, IHDT56PF1, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    A3LGTI9195L, BCG-E2642A, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    91silvy,

Original Equipment, for sure is products made by Original Equipment Manufacturer. However, an OEM product is NOT necessarily an OE!

Certain automotive light bulbs used by BMW, for example, are manufactured by Osram-Sylvania. Osram-Sylvania, in this case, is the OEM of automotive light bulbs used by BMW. Since Osram-Sylvania sells the same bulbs under its own brand, so there is a marketing advantage to mention Osram-Sylvania is a "well established OEM in the automotive industry".

However, in the case with the Nokia handset cosmetics / housing / parts, I do not think Nokia would actually allow or endorse OEM to sell them on their own - even though it could possibly be identical in looks and specifications. And, very likely the "ACTUAL" OEM would be restricted from such sales channels to the public because Nokia and its authorized service channels may be the exclusive clients for the particular parts. Ask TESSCO if they would sell the Nokia faceplate / housing to the general public http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...60&eventPage=1

sf1 has nailed it... why would anyone tell the world they are selling fake on eBay? It is a clear violation of the rules. But whether eBay or Nokia will take any action to go after those crooks, is another story. So crooks can say they are selling "OEM", "OE quality", "compatible". There are possibilities some OE parts got stolen / leaked out from the ACTUAL OEM warehouses / facilities / production lines. Go figure.

Anyway, if you find anything not coming from Nokia directly or sanctioned by Nokia, yet it works / fits for your application, then it is your preference. You do not need to come here and asked for anyone's approval. It would not change the fact that we have copy-cats dare to make them and sell them. They can make the housing if I take apart a Nokia handset and copy it. I can make it "even better" with different material which is "even better" quality. Looks the same, feel the same, as good as original... suddenly they can call themselves "OEM"!
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 12-16-2006 at 02:05 AM.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Phones
    HTC 8525
    Nokia 6682, Nokia E62
    *SOLD* Blackjack, 6620, SLVR
    Carrier
    Cingular-Orange
    Feedback Score
    All I know is that his OEM housing was made with the same quality as the housing that came with my Unlocked 6682, so I have no reason to doubt it's being OEM. Using your logic, no OEM Nokia products are sold on ebay, while that is clearly not true if you've ever bought a battery on ebay. Just verify the battery on Nokia's site and that proves its OEM.

Feedback Score
    You're talking about 6682 and it doesn't officially have any Xpress-On cover housing like some other models as OE accessory for the end-users.

Proving OEM stock is OE at www.nokia.com/battery? If a battery can be verified with the authenticity in the way Nokia has implemented, then it'll be an OE battery made by the Nokia authorized OEM. It wouldn't be called OEM battery anymore. OEM can crank out the same stuff but dare not to sell it as Nokia OE brand without Nokia's blessings. There're contractual agreement and clauses to limited the sale of which OE parts not meant / meant for the public.

Read what Hc-no-i wrote before declaring other's "logic" is invalid: 'the Nokia authorized OEM wouldn't dare to sell parts not meant for the end-users in the name as OE to the general public because Nokia doesn't sell OE 6682 housing as an accessory, for example.' I've dealt with Tessco and *that's OE parts from Nokia authorized OEMs*. He also said it isn't his biz if the stuffs you got satisfy you.

Others mentioned even if OE stuff gets its way to places like eBay, they'd be skeptical about its origin - as long as Nokia hasn't listed it as end-user accessory.

Since you're such a wise person, why bother wasting time of yours? You're the judge, the jury and the enforcer in one! Believe in what you want. To the least, I can understand what OE means and what OEM means after reading their posts. This thread is now closed because 1) you simply need justification of your purchase decision 2) you refuse to accept friendly advices with good intentions 3) You've taken jaydisco's thread as hostage.
    Last edited by Moderator HF 25; 12-16-2006 at 06:17 PM.