Thread: Do I have to have a data plan with vx9900?

Phones
    LG enV
    LG enV(2)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Do I have to have a data plan with vx9900?

I just picked up a new vx9900 from my local dealer tonight on my new every 2. He told me the 9900 is a smart phone and I have to have the $24.95 monthly data plan with it. Is this correct? I did notice I can run VZ Nav without it asking about a subscription, but I could do that for $9.95 or back it up, correct?

Do I need this 'data plan' and what would I want it for?

Thanks.

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    Motorola i570 (work)
    LG VX9900 (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The 9900 is not a smart phone. You do not need the $24.95/mo plan to use it since the phone is not capable of the same things an actual smart phone is capable of.

Maybe the dealer overheard someone saying "Man, this is a smart phone, it knows what words I am trying to type without typing the three key twice to get an 'E'."

Phones
    LG enV
    LG enV(2)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's what I was hoping. What would the data package actually do for me with the 9900? Unlimited VZ Nav use and I could connect the laptop and use it like an aircard?

Phones
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    BB Pearl,Samsung FlipShot, Juke, SCH-U620
    LG enV, enV2, LG Chocolate, Motorola E815 & V710
    Carriers
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    I don't know of any $25 data plan.
    The 9900 is just a phone. There is the $5 mobile web plan, the $15 VCast plan (that includes mobile web and unlimited minutes), and then there is the $59 unlimited BroadBand Access data plan that is for tethering and using #777 DUN like an aircard.

VZNav is not free - there is a 2 week trial available for any phone that is VZNav capable. The 9900 comes with the 2 week trial installed and only needs to be run to be activated. VZNav is $9.99 a month whether you have any sort of data plan or mobile web package or not.

Phones
    LG enV
    LG enV(2)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There was a $24.95 smart phone plan, he showed it to me in the brochure.

I was thinking he was wrong about the 9900 being a smart phone, but I didn't argue as much as I should have. I will stop in and get it corrected tomorrow.

The VZ Nav never said anything about being a trial, etc. It simply downloaded some updates and then ran.. So, one would need to wait out the two week trial prior to purchasing the 9.99 monthly subscription for it?

Phones
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    BB Pearl,Samsung FlipShot, Juke, SCH-U620
    LG enV, enV2, LG Chocolate, Motorola E815 & V710
    Carriers
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bretthays
    There was a $24.95 smart phone plan, he showed it to me in the brochure.

I was thinking he was wrong about the 9900 being a smart phone, but I didn't argue as much as I should have. I will stop in and get it corrected tomorrow.

The VZ Nav never said anything about being a trial, etc. It simply downloaded some updates and then ran.. So, one would need to wait out the two week trial prior to purchasing the 9.99 monthly subscription for it?
    Right - there is no $25 data plan for a normal phone, which the 9900 is.

You are also correct that you need to wait till the trial runs out before converting the trial into a subscription. And you are correct that with the 9900 you are never told that the VZNav is a trial, and you are not even told the expiration date of the trial. But you can see that in the properties/settings/details of VZNav - I forget the exact location, but go to your Get It Now menu that shows the VZNav app and click settings or options or whatever, and you can see the expiration.

Phones
    Dare (personal)
    BB Storm (work)
    EnV2 (wife's)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I bet the "smart" rep, showed him the 25.00 10mb plan, then bundled Vcast and VZ nav. Thats shady as hell.
    *Insert clever and/or witty comment here*

The opinions/statements contained herein are those of me, myself, and I only. They do not necessarily represent those of any wireless company. There..covered my ***.

Phones
    Blackberry 8703
    LG 8500 (Chocolate)
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    exactly, u said it... u went to an agent and they are not educated, if they were they wouldve told you that its a vcast phone and the 9900 is a phone with a keyboard, its not a pda. a corp. store wouldve better educated u buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthays
    I just picked up a new vx9900 from my local dealer tonight on my new every 2. He told me the 9900 is a smart phone and I have to have the $24.95 monthly data plan with it. Is this correct? I did notice I can run VZ Nav without it asking about a subscription, but I could do that for $9.95 or back it up, correct?

Do I need this 'data plan' and what would I want it for?

Thanks.

Phones
    LG VX9900 "enV"
    LG VX8500 "Chocolate"
    Blackberry 7130e
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I heard a VZW radio commerical for the 9900 and claimed it was a smartphone. I thought it was a tab bit interesting...

Phones
    LG enV
    LG enV(2)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvanrens
    exactly, u said it... u went to an agent and they are not educated, if they were they wouldve told you that its a vcast phone and the 9900 is a phone with a keyboard, its not a pda. a corp. store wouldve better educated u buddy.
    I know. This guy is the local dealer and I have used him for years. He's great to work with on things like loaner phones, etc. so you can excuse little screwups such as this. I will just stop by and tell him to take the data plan off today.

Phones
    Dare (personal)
    BB Storm (work)
    EnV2 (wife's)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvanrens
    Are you in east or west towne madison?