Thread: Difference between EVDO, 1X, Digital????

Phones
    LG VX8300
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Difference between EVDO, 1X, Digital????

I have a Verizon LG VX8300. My display indicates 1X. I don't know whether I should or should not have EVDO turned on (or off). Can somebody explain the difference between 1X, digital, and EVDO? Pros and cons of having EVDO turned on or off? How to select which "mode" my phone is in? Or do I have a choice?
    Just Lookin' For Expert Opinions

Phones
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    LG XV8560 (Chocolate3)
    [3G] Network Extender (VZW femtocell) SWEET!
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Normally you leave them both on. This is the default. You can adjust the configuration by going into the service menu (Menu | 0,0,0,0,0,0,0), select Network Select | Mode Preference. Some folks say that selecting 1x only will prolong your battery life by eliminating the phone constantly trying to sync with an EVDO signal when only weak one or none is present.

-Frank

Phones
    LG EnV
    LG White Chocolate
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    what exactly is EVDO used for? If i turned it off what would not work...just VCAST & VCAST Music?

Feedback Score
    More or less - yeah. I've noted in the past that EV seems to have a tiny bit *better* battery life, but since I only carry an EV phone some of the time, I can't say for sure.

Phone
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2525
    what exactly is EVDO used for? If i turned it off what would not work...just VCAST & VCAST Music?
    EVDO is just the "broadband/kinda" internet connection. It's just used for data transfer (no voice).

EVDO just means Evolution for Data Optomization or Optimized.

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate
    Samsung Fascinate
    LG Voyager Titanium
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    EVDO is just data. Text, Pix, Flix, WAP, etc.
    All calls are still 1X. The speed difference is about 5X greater in my experience for data downloads with EVDO vs 1X

Phones
    lg 9400
    lg 8000 (retired)
    lg 7000 (In the ocean)
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    for some reason when my lg8000 goes into evdo mode i cannot make or recieve calls or text messages, then once i get back into 1x mode my voice mails and missed calls will show up...any ideas

Carrier
    U.S.: Verizon, T-Mobile USA; CH: Sunrise; D: Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra97
    for some reason when my lg8000 goes into evdo mode i cannot make or recieve calls or text messages, then once i get back into 1x mode my voice mails and missed calls will show up...any ideas
    If it's set to EVDO Only that doesn't surprise me, because EVDO does not carry voice, as others mentioned. If it's set to both 1x and EVDO it should do just fine.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. Here's the diff:

EVDO: "EVolution Data Only" or "Data Optimized".. this theoretically does a few mbits/sec down and 144kbps up for "Revision 0". EVDO Rev A does a few more mbits/sec down and a few mbits/sec up.. this is pretty new. EVDO'll speed up getting games, web surfing, receiving pics. I've heard it speeds up sending pics a bit too, even though it should send at 1X-like speed.. Vcast videos and VCast music *require* EVDO. If you either are in an area where EVDO signal is low (so the EV indicator keeps going on and off..) or are in an area where VZW is just setting up EVDO (so again EV goes on and off) disabling EVDO will extend battery life a lot.

1X: 144kbps data up and down. If you stick with this everything works but VCast video and music. Some people that do DUN will switch from EVDO to 1X to try to avoid VZW's notice too... You can switch to this to see if it saves you battery life. You won't lose anything but VCast; PIX etc will work, they're just a little slower.

Digital: Well, really it's all digital but the "D" indicator indicates IS-95 CDMA... 1X came out around 2000, so any cell sites older than that are running IS-95. 14.4kbps data, and voice is a little lower tech so voice capacity is lower. I don't think VZW's network is all at least 1X by now... but I did see "D" last year in SW Wisconsin a bit.. don't know if it matters, everyone's cell phone I saw there was old as hell and probably didn't do 1X anyway .
    Last edited by hwertz; 12-26-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Phones
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    LG XV8560 (Chocolate3)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra97
    for some reason when my lg8000 goes into evdo mode i cannot make or receive calls or text messages, then once i get back into 1x mode my voice mails and missed calls will show up...any ideas
    Since you have an 8000, you can mess this up easily when/if using the service menus. When you change the mode from Digital only to 1x only, unbeknown to you, the "hybrid" mode changes to "off". When you change the mode back to Digital only, the hybrid mode does not change back. Afterward, you will only be able to get EVDO and will not be able to place or receive voice calls. The newer phones (i.e. 8300, 8600, etc) have remedied this by including the hybrid mode in the initial selection so that both are changed at the same time, preventing incompatible settings.

The remedy on the 8000 is to manually ensure the that the hybrid mode is changed back to on, along with the mode to Digital only. Then the phone will work as designed again.

I usually leave my 8000 set to 1x only since in my area the EVDO signal is very very weak (so is the 1x signal). My phone often searches around for a better signal, creating chopped speech and lost calls. I find if I leave my mode set to 1x this happens way less frequently, rustling in much longer batter life and much more reliable voice calls. I suppose this is because there are less chanels and Pilots to search through. I dunno... but it works.

-Frank

Phones
    HTC ERIS (Droid)
    HTC ERIS (Droid)
    LG VX9900 (enV)
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    New to Verizon, so bear with me....

At this point, I have no interest in web-access (unless it's free) and the related V-Cast stuff ($15/mo, per phone ?? No way.) and battery life is more 'important' at the moment. From what I've read here, I'd be best suited to disabling "EVDO" and running in "1X" mode only, correct ??

In the service menu, Network Select, Mode Preference, I have the following:

Digital Only Hybrid
    Digital Only Non Hybrid
    HDR Only
    1X Only

I presume the first two are EVDO related. No idea about HDR...

Phones
    BlackBerry 8130
    LG vx8360
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless, drinking the Kool Aid since 2004
    Feedback Score
    HDR Only is just EV Only. You won't be connected to 1X if that choice is selected... but the phone will connect to 1X if you try to place a call. Receiving is another story.

Go with 1X only for your needs.
    If an Amp'd Hollywood is left in the forest... and no carrier is around to push a bogus PRL, is it still something more than a brick?

Quote Originally Posted by Actual AIM Conversation
    [08:12 PM] Colleague: when are you planning on switching to [major SUNY school]?
    [08:12 PM] Domain: I plan on porting over my transcripts when I graduate, why?
    I've been playing with cellular devices WAY too long...

Phones
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    LG XV8560 (Chocolate3)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hall
    New to Verizon, so bear with me....

At this point, I have no interest in web-access (unless it's free) and the related V-Cast stuff ($15/mo, per phone ?? No way.) and battery life is more 'important' at the moment. From what I've read here, I'd be best suited to disabling "EVDO" and running in "1X" mode only, correct ??

In the service menu, Network Select, Mode Preference, I have the following:

Digital Only Hybrid
    Digital Only Non Hybrid
    HDR Only
    1X Only

I presume the first two are EVDO related. No idea about HDR...
    Digital Only Hybrid - This means send/receive 1x and EVDO
    Digital Only Non Hybrid - This means Send 1x and EVDO, Receive EVDO only (this is the one were you will not be able to receive incoming voice calls!)
    HDR Only - This means send/receive EVDO only (no voice calls)
    1X Only - This means send/receive 1x only

Bottom line... unless you are in a weak signal area, or, you see the EVDO light often disappear and reappear, you should leave the phone at the default of Digital Only Hybrid. If you see the EVDO flicker and go away often, you would probably benefit from setting it to 1x Only for better voice and battery life. You would not get VCAST and music at this setting, but everything else would work (i.e. text messages, web browsing if you have it, voice, etc).

-Frank

Phones
    LG VX8300
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all for your information regarding the difference between EVDO and 1X. I appreciate your help. Now if I could only figure out if I can use this thing in bluetooth with my Ipaq Pocket PC for qnc (like I used to do with my Motorola V710) I would be a happy woman!