Thread: Bell Mobility Harassment

Phones
    LG 5450 Retired
    HTC Touch
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

Bell Mobility Harassment

Been three years my wife and I have been subscibers to Bell Mobility. We always paid out bills on time and the last statement we recieved in late november for a bill of 45$ was paid on time on Dec 2 this month.

My wife calls me last friday 15th and says she missed a call from Bell Mobility who left a message on her voice mail. The message only asked that I call them which I did the following Monday December 18. It was a sub contracting collection agency working for Bell Mobility trying to collect an overdue bill. I explained to them that this was a mistake and that I paid the entire bill that was on the last statement. The girl was rude and said that we owe Bell Mobility $150 dollars and that we were to pay it immediately.

Now mind you, I have not recieved by mail any documents backing her claims and had no idea what on earth she was talking about. She was very rude. I demanded to her politely to get details of this sudden bill and the reason. All she suggested was to call Bell Mobility Customer service which I did.

The explanation I got was, on Decemeber 5th of this month, my bank, had recall a payment I did of $150 from way back in May 2006. I asked the girl if this was normal proceedure to not send documents by mail and not let me time to investigate this, and to put me in with the deadbeat's collection agency. The customer service girl puts the blame and fault with the automated deadbeat collection machine.

It is normal that I have time (a week) to investigate this claim that my bank (supposedly), this month, recalls money paid back in may. No, the collection agency makes calls to my wife 3 times a day all week. I will pay the $150, if naturally, after investigating it and conclude that I owe it, the first week in January.

Lucky for my wife and I that we are not stuck with a "contract" with Brain Dead Bell Mobility and that we are free to leave any time we want.

I hope that Bell Mobility does not mess with our credit files at Equifax and other credit reporting agencies because we took 1 week to investigate and clear up this story with the bank.

They really lost us for life as costumers. Treating your clients as deadbeats even before you give them any documentation, only shows how anti business the company is and how the employess dont give a hoot about costumers.

All through the week, the collection agency has called everyday. Bye Bye Bell Mobility.
    Last edited by Molari; 12-22-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Phones
    Tin Cans
    Smoke Signals
    Flags
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Call Bell Mobility and request the Collections Department.

Perhaps the caller is a fraud and is calling you to obtain information so they can skim your account?

The reason I say this is because you should have received notice by mail, additional voice mails, service interruption resulting in your outgoing calls being sent to the collection department. Finally ending up with disconnection of service.

Phones
    Do not need one, wife has a loud voice.
    Samsung A900 P.O.S. Edition
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunatelly it is Jungle Law out there. I have the same happen to me from
    Blockbusters. Imagine they send collection agency AFTER $6.00 (SIX BUCKS).

No phone call , just a letter from CA.

As to Bell policies . They stink. I regret already signing 3 year contract.

- 15 minute return policy ? Thats one phone call for crying out loud. How should you evaluate the phone and see if it works as advertised. If you miss it you are stuck with the phone ( like me with Samsung A900).
    - releasing new phones with features disabled or not avaiable at present time ( see KRZR) Tellus could do it.
    - not providing any software updates , while we know they are avaiable to our neighbours to the south and actually telling bell customers that they will be avaiable at future time. When ? in 2025 ?
    - Phone selection is poor comparing to telus or rogers
    - having sales guy really recommending a phone at time of purchase and two months down the road admiting that that phone is pos
    - having Corporate and Dealer stores that do not honour their extended warranty . How a simple customer should know which store is which.
    ( Bought a replacement phone from Corporate Store, had to return it after an hour, and buy it again at Dealer Store so my extended warranty is still valid)

I feel your pain !!!

Phones
    LG 5450 Retired
    HTC Touch
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boukie
    Call Bell Mobility and request the Collections Department.

Perhaps the caller is a fraud and is calling you to obtain information so they can skim your account?

The reason I say this is because you should have received notice by mail, additional voice mails, service interruption resulting in your outgoing calls being sent to the collection department. Finally ending up with disconnection of service.
    I did call (1-800-667-0123)...it is genuine ...Collection Agency that is contracted by Bell Mobility to harass us.

The thing that is wrong here...

1- Is the sudden surprise (You Owe Us $150).
    ... I never got any bill or documention about it. Bell Mobility decided to send it directly to the collection agency without giving us a chance to see any single document.

2- We only found out about this surprise $150 when the collection agency started harassing us.

Our last bill 3 weeks ago stated we owe them $45 which we paid. Nothing on the bill indicated we owe them $150.

3- I dont even have a week to clear this matter up with the bank to see if this is even true, because there could be a possible service interuption or cancellation by Bell Mobility if I dont cough up the $150...which is highway robery..(remember that I dont even get the grace to get by mail any documentation about this suppose surprise bill of $150).

There is also a danger that brain dead Bell Mobility ups this to the point of maliciously writing a bad mark in our credit report without me getting any documentation on this $150 that we supposedly owe them only since 5 days now.

This is crazy.
    Last edited by Molari; 12-22-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHA900 AU-MIC/2.0 MMP/2.0)

Billing horrors still lingering, maybe it's only 90% corrected, someone, something or a combo of both is still there and needs to be cut.

Feedback Score
    Any entity that has the ability to affect your credit rating should be compelled to make a reasonable effort to contact you regarding outstanding accounts--and before these issues can impact your rating. Especially these days, when your credit rating is often used for much more than obtaining credit (employment, banking security levels, etc).

While you can obtain a copy of your credit report free via mail, I would contact Bell and request proof that their SNAFU didn't affect yours--either in the form of a paid instant credit report, or a letter confirming such.

Phones
    Tin Cans
    Smoke Signals
    Flags
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I think we are missing facts of this story.

Phone
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carriers
    M@ther Nature ! HardWare Opiates
    AXIS OF EVIL DEAD & Krill Kill Kult Member Fighting the War on Terra !
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I agree it does sound abit off but just the same Bell Sucks.
    B.efore C.hrist E.ntity

"Bell's always ready to compete," Well Break the Bell Telus Alliance. Bell Stop Talking and Start Competing!

http://www.bellmobilityclassaction.ca/

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That and I believe it is completely illegal for a collection agency to harrass using telephone methods without first sending you a written notice of collection.

Sounds like a scam to me. And a rogue collection agency is taking advantage of a problem in the hopes it'll boost its own "successful collection" ratings...
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Phones
    Motorola 270c
    Motorola v120
    Qualcomm 2700
    Feedback Score
    your bills would indicate it was overdue, youd be sent a notice, youd have been called by BM.

to suddenly have this swung on you in dec, for something in may seems wow, unreal almost.

you sure this isnt some other account that was closed and never settled, and it went to some other address/move or something you never saw and had old out dated contact information? I am sorry but if a payment was reversed from back in may, it would show up on your existing account if it had anything to do with that as money oweing. this must be related to some other account.

Dreaderus

Phones
    LG 5450 Retired
    HTC Touch
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Ok..lets try to gather the facts here.

Fact #1: We paid our monthly statement/bill at the beginning of the month as we usually always do.

Fact #2: The Decemeber 2 Statement/bill is for the usual amount of $45. **Does not mention anything about $150**

Fact #3: We get a message on voicemail 4pm Friday december 15 from a stranger who does not leave a name (We did not know it at the time, it was the Collection Agency) to call back at a specific number (1-800-667-0123).

Fact #4: The Next Monday morning (December 18) I called that Number (1-800-667-0123) and once the voice system network anwsers the call, I see that it is Bell Mobility's Network and at that moment we learn that the ones calling us was Bell Mobility's subcontracting collection agency.

Fact #5: The overdue/collection agency inform's me for the first time, that I suddenly owe this surprise $150 and our account is way overdue.

Fact #6: The rude collction agency girl could not give me specifics or details on nothing.

Fact #7: Because the lack of details, I was becomming a little suspicious of all this and how crazy this sounded. I told the girl I will call Bell Mobilty Customer Service Representitives and then hung up.

Fact #8: I called back again (1-800-667-0123) Bell Mobility network and pressed the correct series of numbers that the voice system was proposing, and finally got to speak to a live Customer Service Representitive.

Fact #9: After explaining why I called to the representitive, the representitive then looked closely at my account and confirmed that I owe $150 and it was overdue.

Fact #10: I asked the representitive how this can be possible and why I got a bill 3 weeks ago with no mention of a $150 in it.

Fact #11: She explains that my file states that my bank, supposedly, had on December 5 decided to take back a payment of $150 that was paid way back in May...over 7 months ago.

Fact #12: I said, if this is true, then why have you not sent any document or details to me by mail first?

Fact #13: She said that when a payment comes back, it is automatically sent by the Bell Mobility computers to collection agency to be collected.

Fact #14: I asked her, can you understand and put yourself in my shoes, that here I have no documents or know anything about this. That you guys are alleging that my bank, took back on december 5th, a payment paid last May, and dont Bell Mobility dont even have the decency to give me at the least a week to inquire from my bank, why and if they did this. You guys just decided to just let loose the collection agency on me like I was some kind of dead beat?

Fact #15: She said she was sorry, but she could not help me and that I had to pay even though I had no documents to verify thier claims.

Fact #16: On Tuesday (Dec 19), I called my bank to Inquire. They said it will take up to a couple weeks to investigate and trace why and "if" a payment was called back. Seemed a long time for me, but this is due to Xmas Holidays and all.

Fact #17: All this week since Monday (Dec 18), the Bell Mobility Collection Agency leaves a voice message everyday to call them. The number is the same (1-800-667-0123).

Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string
    That and I believe it is completely illegal for a collection agency to harrass using telephone methods without first sending you a written notice of collection.
    I would tend to agree with you. Mind you, I am not an expert on laws, but I am currently living this.

Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string
    Sounds like a scam to me. And a rogue collection agency is taking advantage of a problem in the hopes it'll boost its own "successful collection" ratings...
    Perhaps. But this rogue collection agency, is Bell Mobility's responsibility. Bell Mobility uses this kind of tactics on their customers, someone up in Bell Mobility management needs to be booted.

Phones
    LG 5450 Retired
    HTC Touch
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaderus
    your bills would indicate it was overdue, youd be sent a notice, youd have been called by BM.

to suddenly have this swung on you in dec, for something in may seems wow, unreal almost.
    Agreed. It sounds so crazy. If I owe, I will pay. But At the least, they should send some documents for me to understand what is going on. Why send the dogs after me without giving me a chance? Amazing.

you sure this isnt some other account that was closed and never settled, and it went to some other address/move or something you never saw and had old out dated contact information?
    No. Only 1 wireless phone with same number since 3 years with Bell Mobilty. No other accounts. The Bell Mobilty Customer Service Representitive explained that it was the bank that had caused this.

I am sorry but if a payment was reversed from back in may, it would show up on your existing account if it had anything to do with that as money oweing. this must be related to some other account.
    I looked in my bank accounts...nothing mentioned.

But the thing that gets me riled up, is that they should send documents and give me at least 2 weeks before sending the hound dogs.

We dont have a contract with Bell Mobility. If I do find out that I owe them, I will pay the $150. But With the way they handled this, they lost me as a customer for life.

Phone
    Nexus 5, Moto X
    Carrier
    Bell, Fido
    Feedback Score
    A similar thing happened to me about 6 or 7 months ago. I received a letter from an Edmonton based collection agency requesting I pay them immidiately regarding monies owed to Bell Mobility. Their office was closed when I tried contacting them so I left a mesaage at the extension of the person who's name was on the letter. Next day no call back so I phoned Bell CS.
    After a bit of checking the rep came back to me and said he had no explanation for why a collection agecny was contacting me for payment owed to Bell. He made it 100% clear that my account was in good standing (which I already knew it was ). He then put me on hold again and when he came back several minutes later he had the answer...........sort of. I had purchased an E815 last Xmas and returned it several days later. Apparently the return somehow wasn't processed properly and for some reason the account was showing as being delinquent. The rep assured me it was a "mistake" apologised for it and stated that I would not be bothered again by the collections agency. He was unable to answer why Bell never contacted me directly in any way, prior to turning the non-issue to collections. This despite me being a long term Bell customer
    The bottom line is **** happens, companies make mistakes all the time so I can certainly see how a similar thing could have happened to the OP.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molari
    Fact #12: I said, if this is true, then why have you not sent any document or details to me by mail first?
    Since you are initiating an investigation with the bank, they should be able to provide you with something to placate the bell people... It's perfectly acceptable that you be allowed a grace period while the bank investigates why the problem occurred. Also, while they often say it takes "weeks" it usually only takes a week or two...

One thing you might want to do is, after this is over, do a quick lien/ppsa search and credit report search on yourself to make sure nobody's recorded anything against you.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molari

Perhaps. But this rogue collection agency, is Bell Mobility's responsibility. Bell Mobility uses this kind of tactics on their customers, someone up in Bell Mobility management needs to be booted.
    One other thing: Bell most likely has little or no control over the techniques the collection agency uses. I had a collection agency call me for 3 years (actually, a series of collection agencies) attempting to collect a debt on someone who had my home phone number 6 years ago and skipped out on something. One particular agency (the final one which used the most ruthless tone of voice with me) actually implied that I was a kiddie fiddler - a pedophile in her rant of rage. I finally reached the company and explained to them my situation... That I wasn't the person they were looking for.

They've since stopped calling - so I actually believe that was the last company to be "handed down to" for whoever they were looking for. At no time would any of them tell me who they were collecting on behalf of...

Not a heck of a lot they can do... hopefully they can link the account to the credit agency's account and stop it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast