Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tracfone roaming in canada

Phones
    Motorola Maxx Ve- Probably the best phone I've ever had!
    Droid Eris- Good Riddance
    Droid Bionic- Once again back to moto build quality
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Looking at T-Mobile Prepaid 4G
    Feedback Score

tracfone roaming in canada

I know this has been covered before, but i wanted to clarify. i want to get a tracfone to use on vacation in canada, the phone i would get is the nokia 1100. does this phone work in canada, how many units/min does it cost, and will it get me terinated within a week, i dont care if i lose my number every year. i only go once a year and have no reason for 2 phones while in the U.S. so could i let it sit then re-activate with an airtime card? Or would trac have to send me a new sim? Are these new sims free or how much do they cost?

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    They charge you more if you dial out canadian phone numbers. Other than that I'm pretty sure its the same price, and you can *67 first to avoid being charged when you call Canada. The surcharge for calling Canadian numbers (without *67) is applied regardless of where you call from, so roaming is free technically.

They will cancel your account after a short time though.

EDIT: My experience is with a GSM-Tracfone which runs on Cingular, other cases may have varying results....
    Last edited by cloneman; 01-09-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Phones
    Razr M
    Razr M
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What about a prepaid canada phone? like virgin mobile canada?

Phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Those phones are just too expensive, plus id have to pay LD to call home to USA.

Phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    does anyone know the gsm coverage up on route 60 between Barry's bay and Renfrew (our camp is on Golden lake) which is apporox 2 hours from ottowa. Looking at the rodgers map, it looks like id be RIGHT on the edge (less than 1 mile from a no service area), so i want to make sure before i even spend the money to get a phone.

Carriers
    Virgin (416)
    Feedback Score
    The GSM tracfones will Roam in Canada. I use them all the time. You can get a Motorola C139 for $14.99. Try it out if not use up the air time when you get a signal

Phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    thats actually a good idea, i can use it all the way up except for like 5 miles. I own a 800/1900 antenna that works AWESOME on my VZW phone, do the C139 or NOKIA 1100 have antenna adapters, the antenna is FME style. are there any other cheap phones that take a car antenna? also how good is the RF performance on the NOKIA 1100, i was hoping to get it because of the 120 minutes = free phone for 20 bucks online.

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    The 1100 is bare-bones basic. I'm not aware of an antenna adaptor slot anywhere on it. Where does the antenna go? Having said that, I've had great success with the 1100 on the Cingular network (make sure your map coverage area for your zip reads GSM4 in the URL coding). For unknown reasons, the GSM5 network (T-Mobile) doesn't roam the same way as regular T-Mobile roaming on a TMO2GO phone where I live; TMo2Go is better coverage than Tracfone's version of TMo. When you're adding the 60 minute airtime cards, use a bonus code for extra minutes. http://tracfonewv.com/default.aspx has a list of bonus codes on his website.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyledoo
    thats actually a good idea, i can use it all the way up except for like 5 miles. I own a 800/1900 antenna that works AWESOME on my VZW phone, do the C139 or NOKIA 1100 have antenna adapters, the antenna is FME style. are there any other cheap phones that take a car antenna? also how good is the RF performance on the NOKIA 1100, i was hoping to get it because of the 120 minutes = free phone for 20 bucks online.
    The Nokia 1100 does not have an antenna input, but I believe all of the Motorolas do, search eBay, you will need the right adapter for your FME connector. I have looked at them several times on eBay so I know they exist. You usually purchase an antenna with them, but they are available separate. If you buy a Tracfone and need the Motorola, try the C155, it is a much better phone and the minutes do not disappear like the C139 ones do sometimes. They will probably have a special on them at the Tracfone website soon (with 2 60 min. cards).

I hope I am not breaking the rules, but I have an extra unused Tracfone Motorola C155 handy that I am not going to use -- I bought it for the time cards. Kyledoo, if you need a phone with an antenna port (but no adapter) and cannot find one, PM me.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    how do you know if your phone will be cingular or T-Mobile based before buying?

Phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    to answer clonemans question, if your gsm(nationwide) map says gsm 4 in the url you know its cingular. Also, the cingular map has MUCH better coverage than the tmobile map.

Phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ok, i think the map is cingular as it has alot more coverage than the other gsm tracfone map i have seen here before. I did do some searching, and after about 10 minutes of searching i found a few sites that sell an antenna adapter sleeve for the 1100, but i will probably wait untill trac runs a special on the motorola phones. do these "passive antenna adapters work at all? lets say i couldnt connect my antenna or couldnt get an adapter in time, whatever. What phone has the best radio/antenna system in a cheap phone from trac, the nokias or motorolas? i have an lg and both parents have moto E815's with vzw and are much happy with them than i am with my lg. at my house i get 1-2 bars and they get 4-5 bars, is this kind of service consitint in the gsm motos' as well (c155) or is Nokia just as good and cheaper?

Phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Will roaming in canada get me canceled within a week or would it take a month or so. I WILL reactivate every year since itis only going to be used for a week a year.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    it took me about a month. I don't think they will allow you to repeatedly get kicked. You have to promise to be a good boy/girl and not take your tiny little tracfone to big bad canada ever again.

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    Cloneman, that's assuming that you're reactivating the same IMEI Tracfone. What's to stop a person from simply buying a different Tracfone every year (especially the ones for $19.99 on the website with 2 free 60-minute calling cards and bonus codes to get a total of 250 minutes for $19.99?) Seems like a fool-proof way to get cheap calling in Canada to me!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast