Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Treo 750 constantly losing miniSD card -- Anyone else?

Device(s)
    Bold 9650, Palm Pre, EVO 4G, iPhone 3GS, myTouch 3G, G1
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    On my way to work and don't have a lot of time to post, but I want to report on this issue.

1) Changing the power settings to never turn the phone off didn't change a thing. The minute you lock your device, there goes your card.

2) Although not everybody is having this issue, it does not seem device-specific, but perhaps card-specific (not even driven by brand). I tried my Kingston card on a friend's Treo 750 and had the same problem. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a card I can test on my device. I have also seen other people with Kingston cards not having this problem.

3) I will try one more thing: formatting the card on the device (apparently, you can't with any native application, so I will use a third-party one). I will report in a couple of hours.
    T-Mobile really has to get this problem with MMS's coming from different numbers under control now!

Device(s)
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if formatting as NTFS or FAT32 will make a difference?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I haven't been able to test the formatting yet, as I sent myself the CAB file for Pocket Mechanic while still at home so that I could download it and install it while I work. This is the tool I'll use to format the card. However, I am able to retrieve all my messages, but when I mark the attachment for download and Send and Receive again, I get an error. Here are the details on this error, in case anyone else is experiencing the same. I will keep trying different things.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Update: I was able to install Pocket Mechanic and format the card (FAT32... Only two other options are FAT12 and FAT16). Didn't make a difference. I still lose the card as soon as I come out of standby.

If this was a trivial issue, I'd say wait for Cingular to release their new firmware that will add HSDPA support and hope it fixes this, but the fact that I cannot use a miniSD card is not trivial at all. However, I don't know what to do. Getting a new card would be a hit or miss deal that could never end, until I hit, $300 later.

From reading this thread from XDA-Developers, I see this is a pretty common problem, which doesn't seem to be either device nor card specific. Firmware, maybe? I am running

Software Version: TREO750-1.13-CNG
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware Version: 1.17.20.00

How about everybody else? Please specify whether you get the problem too or not.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Razor1973; 01-11-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Device(s)
    Palm Treo 750
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973
    Update: I was able to install Pocket Mechanic and format the card (FAT32... Only two other options are FAT12 and FAT16). Didn't make a difference. I still lose the card as soon as I come out of standby.

If this was a trivial issue, I'd say wait for Cingular to release their new firmware that will add HSDPA support and hope it fixes this, but the fact that I cannot use a miniSD card is not trivial at all. However, I don't know what to do. Getting a new card would be a hit or miss deal that could never end, until I hit, $300 later.

From reading this thread from XDA-Developers, I see this is a pretty common problem, which doesn't seem to be either device nor card specific. Firmware, maybe? I am running

Software Version: TREO750-1.13-CNG
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware Version: 1.17.20.00

How about everybody else? Please specify whether you get the problem too or not.

Thanks.
    Razor1973,

On XDA-Developers some mentioned by using the 'Palm branded' memory, they no longer had the problems?! Can anybody else report what kind of memory card(s) (brand/size) to see if there's a 'trend' of memory to get (by brand)?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I remember seing that, but if you read that entire thread or keep reading after that post, it seems that person started having problems again. Everybody on there also posted the type of cards they were having problems with and, apparently, there's no pattern.

Device(s)
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've had my 2gb kingston in my Treo 750 since Thursday last week and so far, no issues **knocks on wood**. I don't have any programs installed to the card though, just mostly music, some vids, and some backups.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You should be fine. It doesn't matter what you store on it. It seems that if you have one of the cards/phones with this issue, you can invariably reproduce this problem by locking it and then unlocking it (Option+End). I could.

Device(s)
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973
    You should be fine. It doesn't matter what you store on it. It seems that if you have one of the cards/phones with this issue, you can invariably reproduce this problem by locking it and then unlocking it (Option+End). I could.
    so far, no issues. It seems to be some 750s have this issue whereas others don't? Maybe its just that particular cards (and not even all cards within a brand) that have issues.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It seems to be card-specific, not phone specific. The same 1GB Kingston card gives me problems on both my 750's. The 512MG SanDisk doesn't give me problems in either. I am not blaming the card manufacturer for this, though. If the car was defective, it wouldn't work on any other device, like digital cameras, and it does. It's something with either the phone hardware or O/S implementation.
    Last edited by Razor1973; 01-15-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Device(s)
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    hmm, very interesting.

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I bought a Patriot 2gb card this weekend and I'm having the same problems.

Device(s)
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    so for those of you with issues - do the problems seem to start right away?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The second I popped the card in, minutes after unpacking the phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well add me to the list of miniSD problems. I did a hard reset last night so I could install my programs on the SD card instead of on the built in memory. Everytime I rebooted, I'd lose icons and have to reassign them. So I decided to hard reset again and just keep most of everything on the built in memory. I installed Opera to the miniSD card this morning and after rebooting, it came up and said it couldn't read the card and suggested I reformat it. After reformatting, it's been fine but I haven't been courageous enough to install anything. I'm using the 2gb Corsair miniSD card that I picked up from Newegg. So for now I'm not putting anything important on the card.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast