LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Free WiFi in Philly available for 10 days

Dam I was just in Philly
    Free WiFi in Philly available for 10 days
    Posted Jan 12th 2007 6:00AM by Michael Sciannamea

OK Philadelphians, now is your chance to see what this citywide wireless thing is all about.

EarthLink is announcing that those interested in checking out the muni WiFi network it is building for the city can access the network for free until January 21. Anyone within the vicinity of the 15-square-mile area east of Broad Street and north of the Vine Expressway can log on to the network.

According to the company, routers have been placed onl light poles throughout the area and download/upload speeds should reach up to 10 Mbps. Once the free trial period ends, users can sign up for the service at a montly fee of $21.95.

This has been a long time coming, and now the opportunity to see how a wireless network can function in a large city has finally arrived.
    http://www.thewirelessreport.com/200...e-for-10-days/

Feedback Score
    Figures. I live in Philly but my school semester (in NY) starts in less than a week.

Perfect timing. ;_;

Device(s)
    vx8500
    Feedback Score
    i should have never left drexel...sigh =P

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The crazy part it Verizon tried to stop it and actually got a no new MuniWIFI in Pennsylvania law passed. Now at&t/Cingular & Verizon will see their 3G revenue go to hell! Twenty bucks with no silos & few TOC's...it's back to reality for the telcos... in PA anyway(for now)!

Device(s)
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    The crazy part of it is you believing that Earthlink has a business model for municipal wifi.

The test area is 1/10 of the city. Very soon, you are going to have bloggers talking about how useless the coverage is --- that you have to walk outside to get any decent signal.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samab
    The crazy part of it is you believing that Earthlink has a business model for municipal wifi.

The test area is 1/10 of the city. Very soon, you are going to have bloggers talking about how useless the coverage is --- that you have to walk outside to get any decent signal.
    Good God man you took a new 15 square-mile starting point area, turned it around(1/10 of the city), made up a prediction using bloggers as authority to make a point!

Yea I forgot thats what happens...

Maybe Earthlink should buy a bunch of my free FON(Linksys) routers instead of their poor equipment because I get a signal from inside my house to my car in the driveway. Or better yet sell the modems that work at the UPS stores, inside and out.
    Qualifying customers also receive a Wi-Fi modem, which greatly increases the signal strength.
    Are repeaters new to bloggers?

Device(s)
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    There is no prediction from me at all. Only prediction is from your part --- talking about how AT&T and Verizon is finished with their 3G revenue.

Name 1 single profitable wifi business model in the whole world.

It's a long way from even showing some sort of a viable business model for wifi --- to ending cell phone carrier's 3G revenue. There are a million steps in between the two.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samab
    There is no prediction from me at all. Only prediction is from your part --- talking about how AT&T and Verizon is finished with their 3G revenue.

Name 1 single profitable wifi business model in the whole world.

It's a long way from even showing some sort of a viable business model for wifi --- to ending cell phone carrier's 3G revenue. There are a million steps in between the two.
    Yea...

Again with the business model...all I can say is that if it there suddenly appeared(really new concept MuniWIFI)here in my "15 square-mile starting point area" I would be in line and take my neighbors with me. It wouldn't even be a hard sell after all that it replaces, or adds to, a DSL/Cable/3G connection that is portable and at a fraction of what it replaces and expands upon.

Please note the new iPhone, and the many that follow, auto sense WIFI's presence.

Device(s)
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    Remember you are the one bringing up the business model first --- by predicting that this will end at&t and verizon's 3G revenue.

All I can say is that wifi is supposed to be a DSL/cable broadband replacement, not a wireless data replacement. That is what municipal wifi is supposed to do. It is supposed to serve "poor" areas that the landline monopolies don't serve.

There is no "in addition to...", you still pay either a baby bell for the DSL line or a cable company (which is increasingly likely to buy Sprint) for broadband.

Please note that you can't install voip clients on a iphone, apple won't allow that.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    by predicting that this will end at&t and verizon's 3G revenue.
    No that would be presumptuous. It's going to be like 'fiscal pain', the very stuff Verizon was/is trying to do away with through legislative shenanigans.

Even though OS X is capable of Skype I realize it wont be included in the iPhone, but the iPhone, by design, can bring attention to MuniWIFI.

Even the iPhone will autosence a WIFI signal so it can make people aware of the things possible with WIFI.

The one remark I can make with authority is when I flip open my laptop in the presence of the "Believe cloud"(Baltimore's local free WIFI) a smile comes across my face.

Feedback Score
    Aww, I wish I would be there for 10 days. I would have utilized in a better way.