Thread: Free airtime numbers?

Phone
    Black 8GB iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Free airtime numbers?

Well up until now I have been calling my voicemail if I'm in a weak signal area to send/recieve text messages. Then my mom looked at the bill and it says I have 200 peak minutes within a week of the new billing month. Are there any free airtime numbers that are included as in that will not be added to peak minutes when they are called? I know of #646 for receiving the free text message, but I don't know if it's a free airtime call.

Phone
    Motorola e815
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless |
    Feedback Score
    #646, #225, #3282, #768, and *611 are airtime free calls.
    "Do you want a piece of me lady?" - Dr. Phil
    More of Dr. Phil's Words of Wisdom

ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR TROOPS!

Only in Pennsylvania could a toll collector make $21 dollars an hour!
    Good-bye toll collectors: Now I've got

"Kennedy's car has killed more people than Cheney's gun ."

Phone
    MyTouch 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    don't forget *228 also

Feedback Score
    What exactly do you mean by calling your voicemail to send/receive text messages?

Phones
    a950
    v60s (retired)
    T610 (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless,
    T-Mobile (retired)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade DM
    What exactly do you mean by calling your voicemail to send/receive text messages?
    Hmm ...yes I question that too...I have an idea(though not positive) as to what he's saying...I think what he's trying to do is try and get a signal, by placing a call(which does work, in certain areas)..and then therefore, by allowing his phone to connect to the network, and by *grabbing* a signal, he can send/receive text messages that way...again I'm not sure if that's what he's trying to say, but that's just from my understanding.
    My a950 is now fully capable of:
    *DUN(1x or EVDO, I have the choice of choosing)
    **A fully functional WMA and MP3 Player
    ***HN Proxy Service(ByeBye $5 MW 2.0...)

So what can your phone do?
    Wow, it can make calls, and send text messages...oh you say it has a camera...that's nice...

Wait what do you mean you can use DUN over Bluetooth!! Darn you (vx8100 speaking)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by is_that_clear
    #646, #225, #3282, #768, and *611 are airtime free calls.
    When I checked my voice mail via #646 I got charged 1 min for each usage. If I used *611 it was free. I am on the SRW plan. I only have 250 minutes on my plan so when I checked the voice mail using #646 1-2 a day it added up.

Phones
    Blackberry 8320 Titanium (Mine)
    Blackberry 8320 Titanium (Wifes)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Dallas

By default atleast on the phones ive bought from vzw, *86 is the VM number your phone dials. I have changed my VM Speed dial number to my own phone number, and so far i havent been charged for minutes, its just come out of my IN minutes. Try that and see if that works for you.
    Chris
    Euless TX

http://chris.cotter.me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by herefishy
    When I checked my voice mail via #646 I got charged 1 min for each usage. If I used *611 it was free. I am on the SRW plan. I only have 250 minutes on my plan so when I checked the voice mail using #646 1-2 a day it added up.
    How exactly does one check voicemail using #MIN (#646) or *611?
    Quote Originally Posted by sirclown82
    By default atleast on the phones ive bought from vzw, *86 is the VM number your phone dials. I have changed my VM Speed dial number to my own phone number, and so far i havent been charged for minutes, its just come out of my IN minutes. Try that and see if that works for you.
    This has actually been discussed a number of times in a number of threads, but the current situation, and it has been this way for some time now, is that whether you access your voicemail via *86 or by dialing your own mobile number, as long as you do it from your mobile phone, neither one counts as as IN call, and you will be simply charged minutes as if you were making a regular non-IN call, based on the time of day. I guess it's possible some exceptions exist either related to some markets and/or older/specialized plans, but in general neither *86 or calling your own mobile number for your mobile phone are IN calls.

Feedback Score
    "How exactly does one check voicemail using #MIN (#646) or *611?

MY BAD.

I was checking my minutes used and I was charged 1 minute using #646 and nothing using *611. I don't get any free IN Minutes on my plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by herefishy
    "How exactly does one check voicemail using #MIN (#646) or *611?

MY BAD.

I was checking my minutes used and I was charged 1 minute using #646 and nothing using *611. I don't get any free IN Minutes on my plan.
    Ah, that makes sense, in terms of what you meant (voicemail vs. minutes used). I still believe that #MIN (#646) is airtime free (and I don't believe that is related to the whole IN thing in any way), as mentioned at http://support.vzw.com/top_questions.html#item7, so if that's not the case in your experience something odd must be going on, and perhaps talking to customer care might help.