Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My KRZR K1 Review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My KRZR K1 Review:

I’ve been using the K1 KRZR now a solid 3 weeks and wanted to comment on my experience with it.
    I am using a Rogers Retail K1 KRZR that is running R4527_G_08.42.0ER

Reception
    The KRZR worked well for me in my trials. It Surely didn’t disappoint me.
    Motorola’s have always seemed to work well for me in terms of RF and the KRZR is no exception to the long line of handsets on the Motorola line.

I ran the KRZR through my standard Cantina test and it passed without any issues.

The drive* test I also do to determine handoff characteristics through a few weak areas on the network also went off without a hitch.
    The phone handles the network well and worked exceptionally for my needs. There was one area that it roughed up a bit and that was the Bayview south to
    Stouffville East turn. The call dropped, Not at the turn though, about 100 meters east on Stoufville sideroad. I Felt that this was a bad handoff vs
    hardware I turned around and proceeded back north on Bayview to try that turn again. The 2nd attempt at that turn and drive away went off fine, so a bad handoff was the likely cause on that one.

*The drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview.
    South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

The KRZR K1 also does a great job of making the best out of the weaker areas on the network. Add in the fact that the Moto line has the
    usefull continous scan option which helps greatly in areas you back and forth between low coverage and no service.

Like the V3's before it, the new KRZR line also features the antenna at the bottom of the phone. I'm a fan of this design myself for 2 reasons:
    1> It's generally not obstructed by your hand if you hold it by the hinge like I do*
    2> It's away from the earpiece. Under increased power output when in weaker areas, you won't hear the buzzing in the earpiece.

Sound Quality

Incoming:
    the KRZR has a very natural sounding quality to it. It's clearly loud enough for my needs and sounds great.
    There is no transmitter buzz that I could tell in the weaker areas based on the antenna design and placement.
    The best part about this, if you don’t' think the volume is loud enough for your tastes, just SEEM it higher*

*Treatz does not endorse nor approve SEEMing

Outgoing
    The KRZR's Outgoing audio is equally great. Nice and clean.
    There were initial reports of a hissing noise in quite environments but this issue hasn't surfaced in my usage of the KRZR.
    The KRZR is a very good device for those that require a phone first before all else, because as a phone, it is very good.

Camera
    still images
    The KRZR Camera is a 2.0 Mega pixel unit. There is no flash or led light assist on this model however unlike the Z3 RIZR
    The camera will take a decent picture but it's competition, namely the W810i and K790a do a better job. These phones take much sharper images courtesy of auto focus which the KRZR lacks, unfortunately. The KRZR's cam is there for the usual spontaneous moments you will face out and about when you wanna snap a pic and send it to your buddies

The camera features various resolutions starting at 240 x 320, 480x640, 1280x1024 (1.3mpix) and ending at 1600x1200 (2.0mpix).

There is also an 8x digital zoom as well.

Video
    The KRZR like most phones, can do Video.
    However, the KRZR can film it in 3 sizes.
    small * 128x96
    Medium * 176x144
    Large * 352x288

Here are some various shot’s I’ve taken in different resolutions:

Huartz truck, Huartz Truck!!

Oh oh, to much pedal to the metal action!

Here’s a few shots of the same thing but in VGA/1.3/2.0 mode. Click the smaller thumbnails to see full size shots

External Memory
    The KRZR features a MicroSD (Transflash) slot for it’s memory needs.
    The Rogers packaged KRZR does not include any memory though for your information. I happened to have a 512 meg on hand which I have used for this portion of the review.

media player
    There are no iTUNES on the KRZR. In its place is the Motorola music player app which is a java application. It’s not that great a player. It’s slow and lags but does provide a nice graphical look to your music experience

note: the Media player on the KRZR does infact work with A2DP headsets. I revisited this portion and connected a pair of HT820's and went into the app and it played via A2DP

I much prefer just using the regular media folder controls with an A2DP headset. I revisited the Jabra BT620’s on this section since the KRZR features A2DP.

Using the KRZR as a Media phone was pretty painless providing you have all your songs grouped. I had all my sounds in one folder anyway so when I’d play them via A2DP songs and ringtones would come up. Regardless, once I had the music streaming to the BT620’s I could play/pause and skip tracks from the headset without any issue. The external LCD screen will also show you what track is playing as well.

Some have wondered why the GSM version of the KRZR lacks the external media controls on the outside like the CDMA K1 has. While I see this as a valid point I would like to point out that if you’re using the K1 KRZR as a media player with A2DP you don’t need those buttons as the headset itself will control your media.

Memory Card content
    The KRZR has the ability in its generic form to set ringtones and wallpapers from the memory card. Prior motorola’s could set the wallpaper from the card but never the ringtone. The Rogers DRM’ed version I’m using lacks the ability to set the ringtone from the card itself. However, I found that if you load up your MP3’s onto the card and simply move the tone itself that you want to use from the card to the phone you can then assign that MP3 as a ringtone without any issues.

Connectivity

Bluetooth
    The KRZR connectivity options are Bluetooth and USB cable.
    The KRZR is BT 1.2 which supports single connections. seeing as when my headset was connected I was unable to send anyting to anyone and had to drop the headset connection, nor was I able to see it from my paired PC or devices.

The Bluetooth system is also tried and true Motorola with a few new differences.
    pairings
    The tried and true Motorola BT system is still in place. However, the Find me mode is now a good 3 minutes, on my Rogers retail KRZR at least. It’s still a hidden BT system for all other devices except your paired units until you select “find me” This will prevent other devices from seeing you when you don’t want them to. This also has the advantage of preventing bluejacking as far as I know because the KRZR isn’t actively broadcasting it’s mac address.

Range
    No complaints from me. The KRZR has a strong BT transmitter and worked well with all my devices even at the extreme ranges. I can leave the KRZR on my desk in my office and walk around the whole store freely and maintain a call over my Logitech Mobile traveler headset for one.

sync
    The BT is also capable of Sync’ing to Motorola Phone tools as well if you don’t want to go the USB cable route

USB cable
    Having a MicroSD card inserted will grant you access to it’s contents via a virtual drive when you plug the handset into your PC, Providing you have the option set to memory card under connection settings. One nice addition is that Motorla Phone tools will automatically switch the phone into data mode (needed for MPT) on it’s own even if you have the KRZR set to memory card by default.

Headset use
    gone is continental ringtone when paired to a headset
    That’s right folks, the KRZR will play your ringtone on the handset AND the headset now. No more continental ringtone. And while some may like the Continental ringtone I for one and glad to see it go.

The headset volume is also ascending which is great if you have a loud tone selected. This won’t blast your ear out.

The headset also works in the traditional Moto way in which if a call comes in and you press send of flip open with active flip enabled on the handset, the call will not be in the handset but will have been received in your BT headset. If you want to take the call on your handset you’ll have to answer, then hit menu and select the phone. Alternatively it’s just as easy to send the call back to the BT headset if needed using the same methods.

Voice Signal
    the KRZR also has VoiceSignal software. This SW makes life so much easier. It instantly gives eveyone in your phone book a voice tag, without the need to record them.

Just press the side key
    voicesignal boots up
    "say a command"
    call (name or #)
    send email (name)
    send voicenote (name or #)
    send message (name or #)
    lookup (name)
    goto (voicemail, camera, redail, received calls, wap bookmarks)
    check (battery, signal strength)
    turn prompts off

The Voicesignal SW is one of my favorites and makes live easier. Especially with BT headsets.
    You can also say the commands in one fluid sentence instead of saying each command and then waiting for VoiceSignal to prompt you.

Example:

Call Ted Rogers mobile

-instead of-

Call Ted Rogers
    which number
    Mobile

VoiceSignal is a very good SW and works even better then previous inclusions on other Motorola phones.

Call handling

Delayed Answer
    A new and amazing feature that is in the KRZR is Delayed Answer.
    This feature has a very simple premise actually. It will answer the phone for you, play a greeting and place your caller on hold until you can pick up. You can use a standard greeting, or, record your own. When you enable this option open to answer is diabled. When the KRZR rings you can simply press the key mounted on the right of the phone. This will answer the call with the delayed feature playing either the stock greeting or your recorded greeting as per your set up.

This feature is a life saver for clamshell phones because you can answer it even if you’re busy. It’s great in those situations where you want to answer the call but can’t make it in the 4 rings, like drying your hands after washing them for example.

Aesthetics
    The KRZR definitely scores points in my eyes for it’s looks.
    The phone looks and feels great. Solid metal construction, a rubber back plate and backing, a mirrored front finish. The Bluetooth light as well as the charging indicator lights. The Joint buttresses that are metal looking with that nice blue onyx pebble.

There is no question that the KRZR looks good, and more importantly, is built well.

Keypad
    The keypad is surprisingly tactile being a piece of metal overlaid. All the keys have affirmative action when pressed and I had no issues of moving around the keypad while composing SMS or dialing calls or firing around the menu system

Sizing
    A new feature I'd like to carry forward is sizing of the phone. Taking the dimentions and plugging them in courtesy of sizeeasy.com gives you a better idea of the phone's dimentions stacked up to common offerings.

the KRZR comes in at 103 x 42 x 16 mm so let's compare it.

OS
    The OS has received an overhaul.
    The phonebook is easier to use, and makes more sense.
    Menu’s have pop up screens and half screens now, similar to a W810.
    Colours are good and skins are decent.

However, it’s still a slow OS.
    When I’m going through my phonebook it takes a long time to scroll through the names. To overcome this I’d frequently use VoiceSignal instead of waiting.

“Send message to Ted Rogers” if I wanted to send a quick sms instead of scrolling and scrolling.

This isn’t a big issue if you have different names, then you can skip or search. I have a bit of repetition however which is where it bogged me down but to be fair you may not have the same issue I have. My issue is that all my Hofo buddies are all in my phonebook as Hofo: Synncere so if I want to call/sms any Hofo guys I’m sitting on H for quite a while.

screen
    The screen is standard faire. It’s a 176x220 screen. While colour quality is decent it’s nothing cutting edge. It can be seen outside, but it’s not reflective so you may have some issues in sunlight

Battery
    The battery life on the KRZR was decent for my needs. Under heavy usage with SMS / WAP and calls I’d get a full day from 9am till about 1am. After that point the battery indicator would go red and the “beee booop” battery low Motorola tone started chirping.

SMS
    The KRZR uses iTAP, which is expected. However, one nice new twist is that iTAP has received a major overhaul in my opinion. Not only will iTAP now guess at the word you’re spelling, but, it can even guess at the sentence if you tend to say the same things a lot.

Example:

Do you want to go for Huartz is a sentence that I might say more then once. The KRZR would take over after Do you so it’d look something like this with blue representing what I’ve actually typed and red being what it’s guessing:
    Do You want to go or Huartz

All I would have to do to get that sentence was press the right directional key per word to have each word come up. This is a very nice addition to iTAP and gives a huge boost to it’s operation and ease of use.

Also, you can set the SMS storeage to the phone on the Rogers KRZR as well.
    I had about 600 SMS between the inbox and outbox before I started getting memory low warnings. With the message cleanup it was also very easy to toss em all in 1 shot.

Ratings:
    Performance…………….……….9
    Build Quality……………………..10
    Battery life………………………..8
    Features…………………………...8
    Software…………………………..7 (a valiant attempt, needs more speed)
    Keypad……………………..………9
    Camera…………………………….7.75
    Features for $...............................8
    Bluetooth………………………….8 (still 1.1)

Overall:……..…………..8.75

PRO’s
    *Excellent Build
    *Excellent looks
    *VoiceSignal even better
    *Excellent RF
    *Excellent in/out audio
    *Ringtone same when using BT headset
    *A2DP
    *Rubber back / mirror front
    *Delayed Answer
    *new improved iTAP
    *New OS feel
    *No more centre menu key
    *Message cleanup, a Moto staple
    *Class 12 EDGE

CON’s
    *Bluetooth 1.1 still
    *not on the Rogers memory promo
    *no MicroSD card included
    *Phonebook a bit slow
    *Time stamp devoid on call log
    *No flash
    Last edited by Treatz; 01-26-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6682
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Nice review, makes me confident with my recent purchase of the K1.

Device(s)
    Zed 30, Z10, 9900, 9780, 8530, W995a, u8a, w508, w980, w380a and a few Z710s
    Carrier(s)
    au revoir Robbers... bonjour Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

Exclamation ...

my question forever has been:

will this Rogers K1 record unlimited video? or is it capped at 5mb like the v635??

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (& Telus, but waiting for number portability)
    Feedback Score

Cool

hhhmmm, lack of timestamps is a bizarre choice. EVERYONE needs to look at timestamps sooner or later. Why on earth would they remove them?

lol @ SEEM editing.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9900 White
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    nice review been waiting for this one... still think i made the right choice going for the w810i instead though

Carrier(s)
    Fido... I mean rogers...whatever it's all the same
    Feedback Score
    Great Review once again Treatz

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Z30
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for this review Treatz. I'm happy to see that Motorola FINALLY fixed the Bluetooth/Continental Ringtone issue. Lord knows that took them long enough to do this. As a heavy BT user, this was one of the main reasons why I stayed away from Motos as this was really getting on my nerves. With all these corrections and improvements done to the KRZR, I am looking forward to taking delivery on one tomorrow or the latest Saturday...

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Good review Treatz...

Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    The best part about this, if you don’t' think the volume is loud enough for your tastes, just SEEM it higher*

*Treatz does not endorse nor approve SEEMing
    don't think that it is possible to increase the earpiece volume right now although the stock volumes are loud.

.....and seeming is pro although also not endorsed or approved by the Huckzzzz

Hit me for feedback !!!

I carry a lighter in my back pocket. I'm not a smoker, I just really like certain songs......

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    1/25/07: added a blurb about Video that I forgot

Feedback Score
    Are these coming out of Singapore like the CDMA versions?

thanks.

Feedback Score
    Great review. Impressive.

I would like to add a big downside of this unit (for me) is the outside LCD. While open you get a pretty ugly standard Motorola M, even if you seem it (not approved by Treatz, heh) and put your own picture there it will look terrible. The colours are awful...
    Feb 2006 - April 2007

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rip

thanks.
    Mine says made in China.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rip

thanks.
    mine says china as well

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemic_Royalty
    Great review. Impressive.

I would like to add a big downside of this unit (for me) is the outside LCD. While open you get a pretty ugly standard Motorola M, even if you seem it (not approved by Treatz, heh) and put your own picture there it will look terrible. The colours are awful...

I agree...awful

.....its all about what picture you put on the outside

or inside......

p.s. still dont endorse or approve this seeming stuff
    Last edited by huck-guai; 01-25-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nevermind>
    the Time/date stamp is there. simply call up your call log, and press the centre key on the # you wish to see and you'll have the time/date stamp there. I could've sworn I did that and it wasn't there, but it's there now

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast