Thread: FCC Law on Unlock code for all phones

Phones
    Epic 4g
    Epic 4g
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

FCC Law on Unlock code for all phones

I just called Nextel trying to get a code and directions for unlocking my i860 and after about 20 minutes and being on hold 2 different times they said they dont have a code to give me nor did they take any of my info.

First they tried saying that there was some loop hole that allowed them to not share unlock codes with customers and after she came back from hold the second time she said there was a code she could give me but it wouldnt work for anyone else and went into trying to explain to me iDen and CDMA/GSM.

After I told her that both Souther Linc and Telus are iDen companies also she went and talked to her manager and came back and said she had no codes at all and they hadnt been made aware of this happing until a few days ago.

Sounds to me like they're trying to get quite about this but Ive heard of others getting it done with no problem. Anyone have some advice on how to go about getting this done?

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Please understand the "law" before you go thinking that someone owes you something. No carrier must provide you an unlock code. It is now not illegal to unlock a phone, meaning you can request that the carrier unlock it for you, but they don't have to do anything.

Now, as far as I know, you don't need a Nextel phone to be unlocked to use it with Telus, Southern Linc or Boost, but I could be wrong....

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Phones
    Epic 4g
    Epic 4g
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Alright thanks for clearing that up. I was told before though that Southern Linc, Telus and Nextel were all locked to their specific networks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001
    Please understand the "law" before you go thinking that someone owes you something. No carrier must provide you an unlock code. It is now not illegal to unlock a phone, meaning you can request that the carrier unlock it for you, but they don't have to do anything.

Now, as far as I know, you don't need a Nextel phone to be unlocked to use it with Telus, Southern Linc or Boost, but I could be wrong....
    Nextel phones have to be unlocked to use on telus so linc. contact me via aim i can point you in the direction of someone can unlock the phone for you.
    aim- bigmattfromnj

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ^^Good to know, thanks bigmatt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001
    ^^Good to know, thanks bigmatt.
    NP. just here to help when i can.

Phones
    Samsung S5
    Samsung S5
    Ipad Mini MF585LL/A
    Carriers
    T-Mo
    AIG 1 2 call Thailand
    Feedback Score
    Nextel phones are locked to Nextel US and Boost. Even thought Nextel is in international markets those hands sets are locked also. You can't take a handset from the US and use a Nextel Peru chip because it will ask for a subsidy code.

Phones
    MOT i880/NXTL (voice)
    Sammy SCH-i830/VZW (data)
    MOT i930, i870, i860, i95cl LE, i90c (machine art)
    Carriers
    Sprint Nextel (NXTL),
    Feedback Score
    martin_j001 has good advice:

Do your homework.

And it's not the FCC, it's a Copyright Office ruling, good for three years.

To simplify, unlocking is deemed a non-infringing activity that does not harm the publisher/owner of otherwise-protected firmware.

Read about it here:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061124-8280.html

Still, a carrier is under no obligation to provide unlocked handsets or unlock codes.

And in turn, a consumer may break a carrier's subsidy-lock without fear of retribution.

(But note, certain invasive procedures could void a device warranty.)

And generally speaking, NXTL devices must be unlocked (among other things) to operate in other iDEN systems (Boost excepted).

--BAM