Phones
    iPhone 4 VZW - Nokia 2126 TracFone
    iPhone 4 - Nokia 2126
    Carriers
    1. GWI iLine
    3. ex- AT&terrible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho
    You're right. They only say "no roaming charges" (technically true), but conveniently omit why.
    Exactly.

I'm sure the phone's inner workings are pretty much like any other, like you said, the phone can do it - they just prevent it (firmware, ...).

Btw. I wrote a second letter to Cingular (ATT) yesterday since I did not get a response on my first complaint letter. I'm really curious IF they will answer and what they will say & do ... IF they want to do something.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icerabbit
    It did strike me as an interesting coicidence that roaming was dropped quietly with the GSM upgrade. Maybe there is something technical? But then TracFone GSM bills roaming as 2 units. We thought Cingular just wanted to drive the Free2Go people to monthly plans ... but then the way they went/go about it (hiding the roaming drop) they just drive customers to the competition.

The thing that keeps bothering me is how Cingular gradually drove a perfectly great and economic prepaid plan from ATT into the ground. I just don't get it. Other than greed. In times where everybody offers more for less, Cingular should be able to swing what ATT could. No?

Tracfone bills roaming on GSM phones as one unit. CDMA is two units. Cingular's reasons are simple -- they will do anything to force people to pay $45.26 a month for two year contract service -- this guarantees revenue and makes the stockholders happy.

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4S,Palm Pixi Plus
    Samsung SGH-A437,SCH-i730,SGH-T419
    Carrier
    GoPhonex3 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    Tracfone bills roaming on GSM phones as one unit. CDMA is two units. Cingular's reasons are simple -- they will do anything to force people to pay $45.26 a month for two year contract service -- this guarantees revenue and makes the stockholders happy.
    If that is the reason, they would be implicitly proving that given the capability many people would still prefer to pay extra for roaming and yet rather be in a prepaid plan than get into a contract. Thus the need to "force".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2