Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Nokia 5300: A first look

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Nokia 5300: A first look

I had the pleasure of using a Nokia 5300 over a 3 day weekend for a first look and wanted to write up my experiences. Iíd like to thank Nokia Canada for allowing me to use the phone for the weekend.

Please note
    This is a beta product and as such my usual review will not be applied here.
    This is just a heads up to whatís coming from this unit on the Rogers lineup in February.
    I will do a full review once I obtain a retail 5300

First Impressions
    quick specs
    Triband NA 850/1800/1900
    262k QVGA screen
    Series 40 3rd generation
    USB connector for Media transferring
    Rubberized sides and back
    Class 10 EDGE
    USB 2.0

physical look and feel
    The first thing that came to mind when I held the phone was that it looked rugged. People that saw the phone over the weekend had varying comments as well ranging from ďcoolĒ to ďkiddishĒ

The 5300 that I had access to was well built. All the lines flowed nicely and there were no huge gaps or looseness in the battery cover or build quality of the phone. This is what impressed me the most because the 5300 I used was definitely not new. It had most definitely been passed around as evidenced by a little paint wearing off the END button.

Slide
    Even after all the usage this demo received the slide mechanism had positive action in both directions and the phone didnít creak and moan like some other phones as they age.
    The Slide answered / Hung up on callers when opened and closed. What it didnít do, nowever, was cancel out of what you were doing and return you to the home screen. I would compose a SMS for example, send the message, slide it shut and the send dialog box would still be there until I pressed end. I donítí know if the retail, finalized version of the 5300 will continue to to this or not, but if it hasnít been decided I think the option would be great. Just like you can set the slide option to answer/hang up to on/off The ability to cancel all of what you were doing when you close the slider should also have an option so you can turn that on if you like, or turn if off if you donít.

Volumes earpiece / loudspeaker
    The 5300 is LOUD
    The earpiece was nice and loud, but had a slight hiss. Whether or not this shows up on the retail piece Iíll know later. The speakerphone and external ringtone volume of this unit was ridiculously loud. W600 loud. Youíll easily be able to hear this phone ring in a noisy environment and on top of this, the classic Nokia AGC (automatic gain control) appears to make itís appearance in this handset as well boosting the volume of the earpiece in noisy enviroments.

For those of you looking for the next loud phone similar to the W600 the Nokia 5300 should fit that bill.

Aesthetics
    Screen
    The screen on the 5300 is a nice large QVGA (240x320) unit that displayís colour and text brilliantly. Itís also a reflective unit as most Nokia handsets and can be seen outside and in sunlight.

Keypad
    The keypad was excellent. Nice big keys, easy to feel out and easy to use. They pressed just enough for my liking and provided enough tactile feel.

Camera
    The Camera on the 5300 is a 1.3mpix unit that took a decent picture and has nokiaís famous nightshot as well. While this isnít a finilazed unit I donít think the camera will get worst with retail SW so hereís 2 shots. One with se K510 and the other the nokia 5300:

K510:

Size
    The size of the 5300 is medium. Itís not tiny, but itís not huge either.
    I like it personally.
    Take a look @ this comparison:

General comments and usage
    After using the 5300 proto for a weekend itís clear that, even in proto form, the 5300 will polish up to be a nice device. At $79.99 on a 3 year term with a 1 gig mem card on the Rogers memory offer you canít go wrong.

The 5300 / 6085 also allow you to turn the phone on without a sim card inserted. This is an extention of the Plane profile, but still a good feature to have so you donít need to insert a dummy/dead sim when you want to demo this phone to customers or your friends. For example.

Final Thoughts
    After using the proto for the weekend it worked well for me.
    Battery life was average but Iíll touch on this with the full retail review as this, again was proto. The RF seemed fine with no issues and the keypad and slide mechanism were quality pieces. I took quite a liking to this phone and look forward to itís full review in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by Treatz; 01-31-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless Canada ●
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    nice review treatz, how was t9? same as nokia has been lately? does it have that t9 memory of words used most often, ie good gone home

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    the T9 appeard to remember custom words on the 1st of 2nd try which is a welcome change

Device(s)
    ēóApple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (The Eliteness: SonyEricssonK790a/R1EG Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Nice first look. Sounds like the phone raised the bar for that niche of music phones so that's always a welcome change.
    I like that sizeasy website comparison.....doesn't get much better than that.....
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So those Rogers branded ones will be the first 5300s with 850, right? As far as I've seen, all the ones out there are all 900/1800/1900 triband. Feel free to prove me wrong though

Past phones:
    Nokia: 3360, 2260x2, 3390, 3595, 6820b, 6800ax2, 6010, 6682, 6030, 6131, E51, E71-2
    Sony Ericsson: T300, T306, T616, Z500ax2, S710a, Z520i, W600ix2, V800, Z800i, K790a, Z750a
    Motorola: Startac 7687, V400x3, T720, RAZR V3, V551x2

Trading since '05:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonW810i/R4EA Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.2.3.15.0)

Quote Originally Posted by zerilos
    So those Rogers branded ones will be the first 5300s with 850, right? As far as I've seen, all the ones out there are all 900/1800/1900 triband. Feel free to prove me wrong though
    Yup. 5300b. Gsm 850

Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (& Telus, but waiting for number portability)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonW810i/R4CE Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.2.3.15.0)

Sweet. Looks very good.

Can you confirm that the b also has the standard 2.5mm headset connector, so we can use our motorola/blackberry/audiovox/Treo/HP/HTC/etc. Headsets with it?

Device(s)
    Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Ya but like the 6111 when I played with the 5300 from rogers the antenna is located on bottom of the back of the phone right under the keypad. As such by holding it normally when texting or even when doing something with the keypad signal would drop.

It was a pain to remove the back cover at first to access the SIM card compartment I dont know if yours has the same issue. Lastly did you notice the rogers music store app in the phone?
    Last edited by fidorulz; 01-30-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Nice review. Great price point.

Not a big fan of the appearance, looks a little "kiddish" as you put it, but it's a decent little phone.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fidorulz
    Ya but like the 6111 when I played with the 5300 from rogers the antenna is located on bottom of the back of the phone right under the keypad. As such by holding it normally when texting or even when doing something with the keypad signal would drop.

It was a pain to remove the back cover at first to access the SIM card compartment I dont know if yours has the same issue. Lastly did you notice the rogers music store app in the phone?
    That is the best place for the antenna on a slider.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin
    Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonW810i/R4CE Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.2.3.15.0)

Sweet. Looks very good.

Can you confirm that the b also has the standard 2.5mm headset connector, so we can use our motorola/blackberry/audiovox/Treo/HP/HTC/etc. Headsets with it?
    it's a 2.5 connector, ya but i didn't actually have time to use it.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    it's a 2.5 connector, ya but i didn't actually have time to use it.
    Cool, that's good.

I Hate pop-ports and adapters.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin

Sweet. Looks very good.

Chillin,

It uses the new Nokia A/V connector (2.5mm jack). However, I have already tried the Treo corded headset (3185WW), it works. Anyway, the non-b APAC variant in Hong Kong comes with a 2.5 > 3.5mm headset adapter but I believe all variants should have the adapter in the package. But like you mentioned, I do not like that L-shaped adapter too even though it is not quite intrusive but still clumsy.
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 01-30-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"
    Chillin,

It uses the new Nokia A/V connector (2.5mm jack). However, I have already tried the Treo corded headset (3185WW), it works. Anyway, the non-b APAC variant in Hong Kong comes with a 2.5 > 3.5mm headset adapter but I believe all variants should have the adapter in the package. But like you mentioned, I do not like that L-shaped adapter too even though it is not quite intrusive but still clumsy.
    Cool, thx for the info. That is good to hear.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast