AFTER PLAYING AROUND WITH MY PHONE'S NAME CARD (VCARD), I FINALLY FIGURED OUT A EASY WAY TO SEND IT TO PEOPLE ALONG WITH A TEXT MESSAGE THAT EXPLAINS WHAT THEY NEED TO DO TO ADD IT TO THEIR CONTACTS ON THEIR PHONE. HOPE YOU FIND IT USEFUL.
I have the LG VX8600, but the same steps apply for most new phones that have a VCard feature. One way to send your Vcard is to link to their phone via Blue Tooth, but this is a pain. I wanted the ability to just send the Vcard just like a regular text message.
1. SET UP YOUR NAME CARD - Go to Menu, Contacts, My Name Card. Fill in all of your info (name, phone numbers, email address, etc.).
2. TEMPORARILY TURN ON "SEND NAME CARD" WITH TEXT MESSAGES - Go to Menu, Messaging, Settings (left soft key), TXT Msg, Name Card. Select "On" and hit OK. (You will be turning this back Off in step 5 since it is not a good idea to send your Name Card with every text message you send).
3. CREATE A NEW TEXT MESSAGE AND SAVE IT IN YOUR DRAFTS FOLDER - Go to Messaging, New Msg, Txt Msg. Leave the "To" box blank and scroll down to the text message area. You will see a little icon of your VCard. Move the curser to the right of that icon and type the following text (you will need to go into symbols to create the arrow using a left carrot and a dash):
<- To add this Vcard to your Contacts, press Options (right soft key), then select SAVE OBJECT.
4. SAVE SEVERAL COPIES OF THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR DRAFTS FOLDER - Options (Right Soft Key), Save As Draft. Repeat this step a few times to save a few copies.
5. TURN OFF "SEND NAME CARD" WITH TEXT MESSAGES - Repeat step 2 above, this time turning the Send Name Card feature off. (Turning it off will not affect the messages you just created in step 4 because your Vcard is already imbedded into those messages since the Send Name Card was turned on when you created them). Failure to turn the Send Name Card off will cause you to get errors when sending text messages to non-Verizon customer.
6. SEND YOUR NAME CARD TO ANOTHER VERIZON PHONE - When you want to send your Vcard to a friend so they don't have to enter all of your contact info into their phone, just go into Messaging (Left Soft Key), Drafts, Options (Right Soft key), Send. After you send that message, it gets deleted from your drafts folder. This is why I had you create a few of them in step 4 above. When you only have 1 left, open it (Edit), and then do another Options, Save as Draft. (Think of it as a form that you have several copies of. After you use all the copies and all you have left is the original, you need to make more copies, therefore never send out your last Vcard Message without making a copy first, otherwise you will have to repeat steps 2 through 6).