Thread: What does "SOS" mean on the display?

Feedback Score

What does "SOS" mean on the display?

I dropped my Pearl on the pavement and picked it up and it has sos displayed in red color in the upper right corner. Right where the signal bars and edge are. I do have a BSE on my phone. It landed flat as a pancake on display part of my phone.

I tried to place a phone call but it wouldn't work. I got a message that read something like, this phone is for emergency calls only. I powered off the phone and turned it back on, it seems to be working now. At least on a couple of calls I've made since the phone hit the pavement.

But what does SOS mean?

Phones
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    iPhone 4S (At&t)
    MiFi2200 (Verizon)
    Carriers
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - 3 lines (2000-present)
    Feedback Score
    SOS displays when you are roaming on a network that Cingular does not have an agreement and you can only use it to make 911 calls.

Phone
    whatever you don't have
    Carriers
    Stan & Ed since 1993
    Feedback Score
    it's camped on a network that does not allow you service other than an emergency call

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity
    I dropped my Pearl on the pavement and picked it up and it has sos displayed in red color in the upper right corner. Right where the signal bars and edge are. I do have a BSE on my phone. It landed flat as a pancake on display part of my phone.

I tried to place a phone call but it wouldn't work. I got a message that read something like, this phone is for emergency calls only. I powered off the phone and turned it back on, it seems to be working now. At least on a couple of calls I've made since the phone hit the pavement.

But what does SOS mean?
    SOS is the old telegraphic Morse code for help. This means that your phone could not register on the network and could only make emergency calls to 911 or 611. You would also get this if you have no SIM card in the phone. The fall might have caused the SIM card to shift slightly in its housing.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I personally think the phone is just crying for help. Three words of advice "seek professional help".
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE/Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    SOS is the old telegraphic Morse code for help. This means that your phone could not register on the network and could only make emergency calls to 911 or 611. You would also get this if you have no SIM card in the phone. The fall might have caused the SIM card to shift slightly in its housing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOS

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cingtd
    I personally think the phone is just crying for help. Three words of advice "seek professional help".

LOL

Just means your SIM card came loose. Ive had this happen a few times. Take the back off, take the SIM out, put it back and youre good.
    “I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.” -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I cannot believe the number of people that don't know what SOS means. I thought (and apparently so does the majority of cell phone manufactures) that just about everyone understood the maritime Morse code meaning of 'Help'.

As a supervisor in a regional 911 cellular PSAP, we got dozens of calls *daily* from people saying 'Uhhh, my phone says 'Call SOS' so I did, what does it mean?' We waste a lot of valuable airtime trying to school people to RTFM or contact their cell provider to figure out how to use their phone.

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman41
    I cannot believe the number of people that don't know what SOS means. I thought (and apparently so does the majority of cell phone manufactures) that just about everyone understood the maritime Morse code meaning of 'Help'.

As a supervisor in a regional 911 cellular PSAP, we got dozens of calls *daily* from people saying 'Uhhh, my phone says 'Call SOS' so I did, what does it mean?' We waste a lot of valuable airtime trying to school people to RTFM or contact their cell provider to figure out how to use their phone.

Or worse yet, we get calls at our PSAP from cell callers demanding we restore their cell phone service - usually after they have made a W911 call on their cell phone only to find the "Emergency Only" message on their phone. We just tell them to power-cycle their phone and usually all is well.

Phone
    iPhone 4s (64gb), Blackberry Torch 9810
    Carriers
    Cingular/AT&T (I still miss Jack)
    Feedback Score
    ... --- ...
    University Of South Florida Student : GOOOOO BUUUULLLLSSS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suthurnlatino
    I find it funny when these million dollar companies create zealots, sometimes of lower end employees and consumers who don't even get a check!

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by en4rcer
    Or worse yet, we get calls at our PSAP from cell callers demanding we restore their cell phone service - usually after they have made a W911 call on their cell phone only to find the "Emergency Only" message on their phone. We just tell them to power-cycle their phone and usually all is well.
    We get the same thing here and I tell them to call thier provider lol
    I have no funny saying. I have no quote. I have no ASCII art. I have no video. I have no meme. I have no bolded or italicized font.

My signature sucks.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by en4rcer
    Yes, that is so annoying. They tell us to "release" their phone and we tell them to go read the manual. Or we tell them to shut it off, wait about an hour for it to "clear" and then turn it on again. That'll learn 'em.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman41
    Yes, that is so annoying. They tell us to "release" their phone and we tell them to go read the manual. Or we tell them to shut it off, wait about an hour for it to "clear" and then turn it on again. That'll learn 'em.
    You should tell them that you can't help them, but you'd be glad to dispatch a nice police officer who will be glad to assist them and provide them with a citation...er...invoice for using the 911 center in such a way.
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Or Cingular could have the screen read something like "No Cingular service" or if they still choose to obfuscate it could say "NCS", but of course then the CS lines would flood!

ob·fus·cate (ŏb'fə-skāt', ŏb-fŭs'kāt')
    tr.v., -cat·ed, -cat·ing, -cates.
    To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand: “A great effort was made . . . to obscure or obfuscate the truth” (Robert Conquest).
    To render indistinct or dim; darken: The fog obfuscated the shore.
    That's the reality...get it!
    Last edited by Sonix; 03-08-2007 at 06:23 AM.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.