Thread: Does soaking in alcohol really work? (red dot problem)

Phones
    Motorola L6
    Nokia 6100
    Carriers
    Orange &
    Feedback Score

Does soaking in alcohol really work? (red dot problem)

hi, i read some posts that if there is a red dot(tha moisture indicator) soaking in alcohol , and drying (either by oven, or hairdryer, or air) will "revive" the cell phone, is that true?

thx

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Motorola Droid X (retired)
    Motorola Droid (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sounds unlikely. Doesn't the red ink "run" and that's how they know it got wet? I don't see how alcohol is going to help that.

Phones
    Motorola L6
    Nokia 6100
    Carriers
    Orange &
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aadam101
    Sounds unlikely. Doesn't the red ink "run" and that's how they know it got wet? I don't see how alcohol is going to help that.

i ment soaking the component board, not the dot

Feedback Score
    No, that will not help.

Phones
    Motorola L6
    Nokia 6100
    Carriers
    Orange &
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CSOKI Mike
    No, that will not help.
    o.ok , btw does anyone know where may i get a vx8500 flex cable, the one that connects to the lcd screan?

thx

Phones
    Sprint HTC Hero
    SE K790a Unlocked/Unbranded
    Retired: W810i Unlocked/Unbranded
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CSOKI Mike
    No, that will not help.
    Actually, I've had a phone or two come back after doing the alcohol soak. It's not gonna un red-dot a red-dotted phone, but it usually cleans enough of the left-over gunk that's in the phone out so that it starts working again.

If your phone is already screwed up from liquid damage, it's worth a shot. It can't get much worse than broken, can it?

One thing I have noticed is that if you do it, and one of the buttons doesn't work, take and re-soak the phone, and, as it's drying, work that button quite a bit, and it should come back okay...

I use 91% isopropyl alcohol for my phone rescues.. Try it.

And, keep the alcohol away from the screen, if at all possible...

Phone
    Motorola Ming A1200
    Feedback Score
    When I use to repair cell phones and we'd get water damaged phones back i would take it apart and using a soft bristled toothbrush clean it thoroughly with a non abrasive cleanerrinse it in hot water then using 99% isopropyl alcohol scrub it gently again...this gets rid of most of the corrosion and makes sure there are no corrosion bridges on any on the contacts now depending on how bad the liquid damage was the phone should come back to life I've only seen a few phones too bunged up to survive..just make sure after the alcohol scrubbing to let the phone sit and dry for a couple of hours or use a hair dryer on medium and slow blow to help dry it quicker...just don't let it get too hot.

Phone
    LG VX-9900
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    if you dropped the phone in water, do not turn it back on. put it in the oven and let the moisture come out of the phone. it phone will not melt, but keep an eye on it (i put it on a cookie sheet). After the moisture is COMPLETELY gone, the phone will work afterwards. How do i know? ive done it and so have my friends.

Phones
    krzr, razr, slvrL7c, lg8300
    rapture,z6c gone
    wifes-moto krave
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    take the battery out first then use alcohol let dry out 24 to 48 then turn it on and see sister did that her razr works fine after she dropped it in the tub.
    ibook 12inch, 15gig ipod 3rd gen, 30 gig 5th gen ipod

Phones
    HTC PPC6800SP (Unlocked Sprint Mogul)
    Retired: LG VX8550LK, Motorola K1m, LG UX5000, Motorola Z6m, LG VX6100,
    Motorola i860, Samsung SCH-a530s, Motorola V60p, Nokia 3390.
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless Retired: US Cellular,
    Feedback Score
    Every case is different. It depends on what the liquid hits, how long it was exposed to current, how extensive the damage is, etc. Like someone said above, look all over the PCB for any green or white corrosion and clean it off with a soft bristle brush and some isopropyl. Probably not a good idea to stick a phone in the oven or to use a hair dryer on it. 99% isopropyl will evaporate very quickly, especially if you set it in front of a fan for a minute or two.

Like someone else said above, the best defense against moisture damage is to disconnect the current, ie remove the battery, asap after the phone gets wet. If the phone is pretty well saturated, do not put the battery back on the phone until it is completely dry. Liquid + electric current + circuitry = bad times.
    Please hold while the Nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is located...

LG - The Lamb of God.

...And he swallowed something stuck to a fridge? Darwin says let him die.

Phones
    Motorola L6
    Nokia 6100
    Carriers
    Orange &
    Feedback Score
    thank you all for the help, i did take out the main circuitboard, and used a cotton swab to clean it with the alcohol, and then dried it up in oven 100 degrees for about 6 minutes(with oven door open, to allow the excess of heat), and did allow it to rest a bit more also, i then did put the entire phone together, and by accident pressed the on button, and the phone actually worked(.......or atleast i think, the screan was no longer white, as it was prior to this, but it changed color to the color it ususaly does when i turn the phone on, I didnt c it, because the lcd was on the bottom, but i saw it reflect on the table, but when i was finishign puting the encasing together, I accidently scratched the flex cable , and, later on i noticed(using a magnifying glass) that 6 of the strands/connections, were cut

so i spent 6 hours later on searching for a place where i could find a flx cable for my vx8500, the only place i found was ebay(1 person had it there) so i guess ill have to order it from there, never used ebay before thou lol

hopefully that cable that is sold there will work,

btw just out of curiosity, so if a phone gets a white screan, after exposure to liquid(after the dots change color) will a flash of the firmware be needed

btw i just noticed today that the backpack in which the phone was wet, a bit, i guess the water bottle must have spilled in some way, but its odd, because when i took out the cell the first time i noticed teh white screen i didnt feel anything wet, especially on the phone

...anyways, thank you all for the information, will report back on the revival of the cell after i get the cable, hopefully itll work

Phone
    Motorola Ming A1200
    Feedback Score
    was all you got was a white screen?
    that could be an indication that the phone is done...if that ever happens to you again don't stick it in the oven..too dangerous let it air dry or like I said a hair dryer on low settings constantly moved about the phone will help...you can't get the phone too hot...if you got the white screen after the scratching of the flex cable then it could be that you are just seeing the backlight and the lines on the flex that were cut were the display lines what I'd do is turn it on and wait 3 mins...try to make a call out with it to your home # and see if it rings..if it does then the phone is fine and the flex just needs to be replaced.

Phones
    Motorola L6
    Nokia 6100
    Carriers
    Orange &
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismal
    was all you got was a white screen?
    that could be an indication that the phone is done...if that ever happens to you again don't stick it in the oven..too dangerous let it air dry or like I said a hair dryer on low settings constantly moved about the phone will help...you can't get the phone too hot...if you got the white screen after the scratching of the flex cable then it could be that you are just seeing the backlight and the lines on the flex that were cut were the display lines what I'd do is turn it on and wait 3 mins...try to make a call out with it to your home # and see if it rings..if it does then the phone is fine and the flex just needs to be replaced.
    thx 4 the info

I did have a white screan first, the other thing that worked was the red lights(by the cicrcle, and the circle itselfe), after i did put it back together, and damage the flex cable, the phone did not do a single thing when i did turn it on, so i guess those 6 connections on the far right side were the main connectors i guess, ill give it a shot and try toorder the flex cable, and replace the old one, hopefully itll work, since i think that the flex cable was fine (at the time that i had the white screen problem), and in regards to the oven, i think i didnt overheat it, since after i took it out, i did touch it, and it didnt even feel very warm, just a bit warmer, since i noticed the heat, next time i wont use it....just to be safe )

Phone
    Motorola Ming A1200
    Feedback Score
    cool, good luck with the flex cable...those aren't usually too terrible to replace..you have a teardown of your phone?

Phones
    Motorola L6
    Nokia 6100
    Carriers
    Orange &
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismal
    cool, good luck with the flex cable...those aren't usually too terrible to replace..you have a teardown of your phone?

hm..by "teardown" do You mean photos of it being taken apart? no I do not, I did put it back together as it was, till Ill order the flex cable, and get it, so I guess that'll take minimum a week or so (but overall i think i did take it apart 4 or 5 times completely, including the main circuit, back cover, middle slides, up to the frontal buttons plate(im usually good at puting things together....and they still usualy work afterwards )

I gues cellphones are like any other hardware lol, just its my first cell, and cell problem, hopefully i fixed teh white screen problem, when i did clean it with alcohol, so only the flex cable is the issue now.

Hopefully there was no damage done when i did turn on the cell (when the scratched flex cable was in use, because I noticed that 1 of teh connectors did connect with another one, the copper connector that is must have been not secured well, lol but after looking at it for that 5 or 10 minutes my eyes started to hurt (used a tiny 10x magnifying glass)

lol cant wait to get my hands on that flex cable, lol, would be realy bad if that new cable wont fix the problem.