Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Casual PrePaid Usage Comparison (7-Eleven vs The Rest)

Feedback Score
    Ok, everyone, I've deleted 3 posts that are nothing to do w/ SpeakOut or nothing to do w/ the comparison of the prepaid rates among Canadian providers. Plz use PM to ask the corresponding HoFoer your non-SpeakOut specific questions or post in the corresponding forum/thread.

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    There is now a website that lets you figure out the best pre-paid (and post-paid) plans for all the providers:
    http://cellplanexpert.ca/

You enter your average monthly minutes and other features you want and it will spit out a price comparison.

Carrier(s)
    Telus, Fido, Wind, Chatr
    Feedback Score
    The expiry is not really a big deal. If you charge up with $20 twice per year you will never lose any minutes.

Every time you charge up with 7-11 and PetroCan the unused minutes are grandfathered.

Why the heck did I wait this long to investigate pay/go services? Thanks OP!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 (7.0.0.598)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    ...Every time you charge up with 7-11 and PetroCan the unused minutes are grandfathered.

It's the same with all pre-paid services. But unlike 7-11 and PetroCan, you will likely only have one-three months to top up (depending on the provider).

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    The expiry is not really a big deal. If you charge up with $20 twice per year you will never lose any minutes.

Every time you charge up with 7-11 and PetroCan the unused minutes are grandfathered.

Perry,

Rogers Pay As You Go has also got a 365-day $100 airtime option last year, but I am not certain if Uncle Ted still keeps it or as unadvertised option. One thing for sure, it is rare to see that particular $100 top-up anywhere.

Then there are few different airtime and SMS rates for Rogers PAYG, as well as data usage option (expensive though) - which 7-Eleven SpeakOut does not offer. To some moderate usage pattern subscribers, it makes more sense to go with PAYG than SpeakOut. But for low, ultra-low usage pattern, SpeakOut is more appealing.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Device(s)
    Sanyo 8300
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"
    Rogers Pay As You Go has also got a 365-day $100 airtime option last year, but I am not certain if Uncle Ted still keeps it or as unadvertised option.
    Can anyone confirm? I don't see this available on their website

Device(s)
    Sanyo 8300
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"
    Perry,

Rogers Pay As You Go has also got a 365-day $100 airtime option last year, but I am not certain if Uncle Ted still keeps it or as unadvertised option.
    Hmm, here...
    http://www.completecommunication.com...nID=310&CID=26

Device(s)
    Motorola KRZR K1
    Carrier(s)
    7-11 SpeakOut,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBunny
    Yabbut you then have to keep topping up in $100 increments in order to keep the 1-year expiry. With SpeakOut it's $100 the first year (to get the free phone plus SIM) then as little as $25/year to keep it alive another year. That's particularly a good deal for someone who wants an emergency-use-only phone.

Also, SpeakOut's rates are lower (except for evenings and weekends.)

But as always, do your comparison shopping carefully.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Q
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bylo
    Also, SpeakOut's rates are lower (except for evenings and weekends.)
    As I understand, 20c/min is available 24 hours any day. Is there any other rate for Speak Out?

Device(s)
    Motorola KRZR K1
    Carrier(s)
    7-11 SpeakOut,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by miron
    As I understand, 20c/min is available 24 hours any day. Is there any other rate for Speak Out?
    I think you misunderstood. SpeakOut charges the same 24x7 but Rogers PAYG offers cheaper rates on evenings and weekends. If you make most of your calls then, then Rogers may be cheaper for you.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Q
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, now it's more clear, thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Very helpful spreadsheet. Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    This info was helpful. While there are other options like Rogers or Fido. I just want to pay $25 and not have to worry about it until a year. Unlike Rogers where I would have to drop another $100 after getting a phone.
    Phone History

Device(s)
    Nokia 6100 - unlocked (retired), Samsung ATIV S GT-i8750 - unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers in NA - ALDI Talk in EU
    Feedback Score
    What does SAF and what does MVNO stand for?

Is there a code book somewhere? LOL

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    SAF = might be System Access Fee? I think the big guys have dropped it as a separate line item (and included it in the base price)

MVNO = Mobile Virtual Network Operator, e.g. SpeakOut doesn't operate a physical network they operate a Virtual Network on Rogers. There are many, sometimes mainstream like Petrocan and sometimes relatively niche like Sears (I think that's an MVNO, or a store-branded copy of someone else's). They're often a better deal, partly because of lack of advertising I suppose. There are tons more of these in the US, where TMobile especially seems to be very generous with its MVNOs.

=aw

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast