Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toronto to Mississauga is long distance?

Phones
    Nokia 5130
    Nokia 6275i
    Nokia 6585
    Carriers
    7-11 (2009+)
    Bell Canada (1999-2007)
    Feedback Score

Toronto to Mississauga is long distance?

Wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

I got my Mississauga (905 area code) number transferred via WNP today. I set up voice mail, checked it from a landline, sent myself an SMS, and all seemed good.
    However, when I checked my balance online, I found that my balance was $6.90.
    That didn't seem right. I called it from another landline, and then it was
    $6.40. I used #999, and then it was $5.90.

Obviously, something is wrong. So I called Virgin Tech support. A very nice tech just told me it's because of long distance charges. "What long distance charges?", I ask.

Well, apparently, Virgin does not support Mississauga. So they hooked it up to another area, which is long distance to Mississauga. So every phone call will be long distance to or from my phone.

Huh?

What are is my phone supposedly based in, then?

"Long distance".

Okay, but.... where?

"Long distance".

Obviously, this is unacceptable. How can I get my number back to Mississauga?

"We can change your number to a Toronto number".

What the hell? The entire POINT of WNP is that you get to *KEEP* your number. If Virgin didn't support Mississauga, why, when I was asked when I did the port, was I not told that the sixth largest city in the country is unsupported?

A technician is supposed to call me back. I certainly hope so. But has anyone here in Mississauga ported in to Virgin?

This story sounds ridiculous. I'd call BS on it if it didn't just get off the phone with the Virgin rep myself. Admittedly, it was someone in Moncton (who didn't know where Mississauga was), but this isn't some piddling little villa that no one has ever heard about. How can a 905 phone number be ported and suddenly be long distance to its' own 905 exchange?

Any recommendations? Other than, say, return the phone and port to Fido?
    Camera, shamera, just give me a phone

Carrier
    Rogers Communications Inc.
    Feedback Score

Phones
    iPhone 5, a Novatel LTE data stick, and many others
    iPhone 5 (unlocked)
    iPhone 4 (unlocked)
    Carriers
    SaskTel
    Rogers (10 GB data plan)
    Feedback Score
    Joy and mirth!

They don't serve Mississauga because there's no need (a Toronto number suffices), but this does definitely pose problems for the porting.

Tell them Pearson International is in Mississauga - it's suburban Toronto.

The point about not being able to call yourself toll-free is pretty telling.

I'm sure they'll fix it... if they won't, port back, or port to another provider.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, PagePlus 619 & 727

GSM phones: iPhone 5, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, Nokia Nuron (AWS 3G), Otech F1 (quad-SIM 2G GSM), Nokia E63, Sony-Ericsson K610i, Sony-Ericsson Z310i. All unlocked. and a bunch of data sticks.

Phone
    Nokia E71
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    wow...thats sounds ridiculous.

if 905 is considered long distance, does that mean if i call a 905 number from my 416 Virgin number, i will be charged extra? Bogus.
    Phone History
    GSM: Mitsubishi G310, Motorola A630, Motorola L7, Motorola V3, Motorola V70, Motorola V80, Motorola Z6, Nokia E71, Nokia 6061, Nokia 6111, Nokia 6600, Samsung D600, Samung D820, Samsung E900, SE T610, SE W300i, Siemens SL56, Toshiba 903T
    CDMA: Audiovox 8300, LG 125, LG 4600, LG 6190, Motorola K1m, Motorola V3c, Motorola W385, Nokia 6275i, Samsung A520, Samsung R351, Sanyo 2300, Sanyo 6000

100% HoFo/Heatware/RFD/eBay Feedback

Phones
    Nokia 5130
    Nokia 6275i
    Nokia 6585
    Carriers
    7-11 (2009+)
    Bell Canada (1999-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    Joy and mirth!

They don't serve Mississauga because there's no need (a Toronto number suffices), but this does definitely pose problems for the porting.
    Yes, but this was preventable problem. If they have Toronto numbers and not Mississauga, they should have ported my number to Toronto, not to god knows where. This was a human mistake, not a technical one.

They asked me where I lived, and I said Mississauga. The technical implementation details are their responsibility, not mine. If they couldn't handle such a port, that was the time to mention it.

Tell them Pearson International is in Mississauga - it's suburban Toronto.

To me, yes. To the CSR, who wasn't familiar with Mississauga (she said she was in Moncton), it didn't really register.

I'm sure they'll fix it... if they won't, port back, or port to another provider.
    Already done.

After my call with Virgin, I called Fido and confirmed that they support Mississauga as a local number. I had to explain it to the Fido rep, because she said she didn't understand the problem. Even she thought this was ridiculous; in fact she gave me her local extension and asked me to call her tomorrow and she'd start the port process already. Maybe they get commissions on bringing people over, or something. Or, I could port it to my existing Bell cell phone, which I was planning on decommissioning.

Personally, I'm hoping that this can be resolved at the Virgin end. Of course, both the Virgin and Fido reps said that if Virgin doesn't have exchanges in Mississauga, they cannot handle the port. But I still say it sounds fishy.

Fortunately, I'm still within the 15 day window for returns.

Phones
    Nokia 5130
    Nokia 6275i
    Nokia 6585
    Carriers
    7-11 (2009+)
    Bell Canada (1999-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munsifn
    wow...thats sounds ridiculous.

if 905 is considered long distance, does that mean if i call a 905 number from my 416 Virgin number, i will be charged extra? Bogus.
    No, not if your 416 number is based in Toronto. If however, they decided when they ported your number to relocate it to, say, Montreal, then calling Mississauga would be effectively calling from Montreal to Mississauga. And calling Toronto would be calling Montreal to Mississauga.

In my case, I don't even know where my phone is located. All the rep could say was it was "long distance". They don't know?

The thing that's really fishy here is regardless of whether my phone is based in Montreal or not, why did leaving a message on the phone cost me 50 cents? I didn't accept the call, I didn't retrieve the message, and the web site explicitly says that incoming voice mails are free.

Carrier
    Rogers Communications Inc.
    Feedback Score
    Maybe they get commissions on bringing people over, or something.
    Rogers and Fido reps are both on commission...

check this site out before you get over your head www.ihaterogers.ca

Phones
    Nokia 5130
    Nokia 6275i
    Nokia 6585
    Carriers
    7-11 (2009+)
    Bell Canada (1999-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by live_strong
    That certainly explains the eagerness...

Oh, I've been involved with Rogers before. There are similar sites for Bell as well. But if Virgin is incapable of porting my number as a local number, then I'm going to be taking it somewhere...

When I was looking into the different prepaid plans, based on my usage, Rogers was the best fit, then Fido, then Virgin. Virgin moved to the head of the pack with the free phone offer. Of course, if that means having to swallow a per minute rate of 50 cents, and pay 50 cents to retrieve voice mail from a land line, and pay 50 cents per minute for people to leave me messages, Virgin will no longer be a serious contender. Rogers is not accepting WNP to their prepaid account yet, so that leaves Fido.

Phone
    Nokia e62
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    PC Mobile may be accepting ports in. I've also been told Ztar (Petro-Can7-11) will be at the top of the month.

Also, as a long shot, if you want keep your number and keep Virgin Mobile you could always see about porting your number to a VOIP provider like VBuzzer to "park" your number till all this is worked out.

I gotta say I'm agog Virgin did this to you (and I thought I had problems porting my number over). Aside from a cool free phone and friendly CSRs Virgin Mobile hasn't been impressing me at all.

Also, in case you haven't been, try speaking with the technical department. They solved my problem in a day after a few days of going nowhere with the regular CSRs.

Phones
    Nokia 5130
    Nokia 6275i
    Nokia 6585
    Carriers
    7-11 (2009+)
    Bell Canada (1999-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord
    PC Mobile may be accepting ports in. I've also been told Ztar (Petro-Can7-11) will be at the top of the month.
    Well, if I do have to jump, I may just restore the number as a landline and wait it out until WNP gets shaken out. I was originally planning to migrate in a few months, after I wear down my existing Bell prepaid phone credit. The only reason I jumped now was the free Virgin phone offer, which was pretty compelling.

After what's happened here, though, I've got to start asking questions that shouldn't be asked. I mean, how often would the question "after I transfer my number to you, would I have to pay long distance to check my voice mail?" isn't something that you would logically expect to have to check for, never mind being given the answer "yes".

I gotta say I'm agog Virgin did this to you (and I thought I had problems porting my number over). Aside from a cool free phone and friendly CSRs Virgin Mobile hasn't been impressing me at all.
    I take the view that this is all new stuff, and they'll be lots of mistakes, so there's no point in getting upset about it. What bothered me last night was not the problem as much as the CSR's opinion that it is an unsolvable one, and that the real issue is my unwillingness to change my number.

The rep I got this morning (who tried to find a tech, unsuccessfully) credited my account back up to $10, because the charges were, in her words, "clearly bogus", and seemed as stunned by this as I was. The CSR last night seemed pretty indifferent. But both agreed that this needs to be addressed by a tech, not a CSR.

Also, in case you haven't been, try speaking with the technical department. They solved my problem in a day after a few days of going nowhere with the regular CSRs.
    Both CSRs have indicated that I'll get a call from a tech. No ETA for that.

Phone
    Nokia 6275i
    Carrier
    Rogers Blackberry with Unlimited Data (job related)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by live_strong

Man some more misinformation.

Only corp agents get commission for a very limited amount of things, mostly retention and there is only 1 dept that does retention.

Outsourced agents get nothing and they outnumber corp agents.
    Last edited by meh2006; 03-21-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Phones
    Nokia 5130
    Nokia 6275i
    Nokia 6585
    Carriers
    7-11 (2009+)
    Bell Canada (1999-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    Joy and mirth!

It turns out that they do. The Moncton CSR didn't see Mississauga in the list of cities, so she said that it wasn't supported. However, they have exchanges in Streetsville, which is in Mississauga, so it is not supposed to be a problem.

Why I wasn't put there originally is the question. WNP day chaos, I suspect.

I agree. As do the three CSRs I have spoken with today. Unlike the one last night, all these ones agree that it's a ludicrous situation that Virgin is responsible for fixing. And they certainly appear to be trying. It's still not fixed, but they're crediting my account and asking me permission to try things (since it requires disabling my phone number for an hour, they need to ask), but it's moved from "unsolvable problem - live with it" to "hmm, okay, this fix doesn't work".

It'll get fixed eventually. Obviously, I would prefer that eventually was, you know, now, but that's the joy of being on the cutting edge. I'm basically a beta test at the moment.

Phones
    LG P500 (Optimus One)
    LG P500 (Optimus One)
    Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wait...Mississauga is in Canadiana? HOLY CRAP, I SHOULD GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND STUDY...oh, wait...it's spring break, I'm supposed to go to skool anyways...whateva... Lol, anyways. Maybe, call them again, hope to hell that u get a different REP, and ask him the same thing. See what he/she says.

Phone
    Nokia 6275i
    Carrier
    Rogers Blackberry with Unlimited Data (job related)
    Feedback Score
    As much as you like to think Toronto is the centre of north america it isn't and Missssauga isn't something most people who live outside of southern ontario know.

Phones
    Nokia 5130
    Nokia 6275i
    Nokia 6585
    Carriers
    7-11 (2009+)
    Bell Canada (1999-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Well, as today is the seven week anniversary of my WNP migration to Virgin, and the seventh week where nothing has been done to resolve the issue, I've pretty much given up on Virgin.

Any ideas how I can recoup the $179 I spent on the 6275i phone? Unfortunately, Virgin doesn't really have a store to go to, and it's certainly not the dealers fault that Virgin can't get their act together. And since I've had the phone for seven weeks, they're not likely to accept it as a return, though I imagine I can try.

Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast