Thread: 4 Digit Numbers on incoming caller ID

Phone
    i560
    Feedback Score

4 Digit Numbers on incoming caller ID

Twice in the past few days when phone rang, all that showed up on my caller ID screen was 4 digits. I did not answer these calls because I did not know who was calling. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Who is calling me? How can someone's caller ID show up as a 4 digit number instead of the 7 or 10 digit numbers?

Feedback Score
    I get them all the time, from 3 digits to like 25. I get 5-6 calls a day from Pakistan asking me if I want to refill my prescription... my name is not Kevin!!

Adi

Phones
    ic902
    i860
    Carriers
    Nextel/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BusOnARushK
    Twice in the past few days when phone rang, all that showed up on my caller ID screen was 4 digits. I did not answer these calls because I did not know who was calling. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Who is calling me? How can someone's caller ID show up as a 4 digit number instead of the 7 or 10 digit numbers?
    The only time I have ever seen that happen was back in my videoconferencing technician days. The calls you are receiving are probably coming off of a PRI (Think T-1 line Provisioned as 64k B-Channels for voice or data) line with 4-digit dialing. You don't see alot of PRI's with 4-digit anymore but it's probably means the calls are coming from a call center.

thats my 2cp.

Phone
    i830
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    ive been getting like 3 calls a day from someone but there is no digits that come up the caller id is blocked and then i pick it up and answer and nothing?? ever heard of that???

Phones
    Motorola i570
    Sanyo Pro-700
    Motorola v950
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

PBX Extentions

For a while our PBX system was sending out the extention number as caller ID instead of the full DID number.

Phones
    Blackberry 8830 World
    i580
    i870
    Carrier
    Sprint Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BusOnARushK
    I did not answer these calls because I did not know who was calling. Who is calling me?
    We could all guess who is calling you, but you are in the best position to answer that question all by yourself. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that perhaps you answer it next time.

Phone
    i580
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nbjhwingnut
    ive been getting like 3 calls a day from someone but there is no digits that come up the caller id is blocked and then i pick it up and answer and nothing?? ever heard of that???
    i think the person calling you has there number on private

Phones
    Nextel I880
    Blackberry Curve
    Motorola Q9C
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    police cell phones only show 4 digits

Phone
    RIM BlackBerry 8220
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7100i: BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Some corporations have 4 digit dialing, like NBC-Universal. Nextel accidently provisioned me for NBC's 4 digit dialing once. It allowed people to dial a 4 digit extention on their cell phone rather than call in to the switch board and dual the extention. So all I'm saying is that 4 digit dialing may also be why you are seeing 4 digit caller ID numbers.
    Frank Sager - Walden NY
    Good bye Nextel and F U Sprint! Off to TMO I go.

^^Is it wise for a bus driver to be doing that????
    My PIN: 2577925E
    1000th post 3/18/2008