Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 450 anytime minutes plan update: A trap?

Feedback Score

450 anytime minutes plan update: A trap?

I got an email asking me to "update" my plan ($39/month) to a new one, which will include 450 anytime minutes (this is prominently displayed in the email). The only small print I can read see is: New 1-year agreement may be required.

I am suspicious. This seems like a trap to extend my contract. Am I better off by NOT upgrading?

TIA

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    if your current plan is working for you why upgrade?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scannerman
    if your current plan is working for you why upgrade?
    The only reason that he'd want to upgrade is if he wants promotional pricing on a new phone. Other than that, the OP is free to continue in a month-to-month agreement, because if he does 'upgrade' to this new plan, his contract will in fact be extended by at least a year.

Feedback Score
    What plan are you currently on? And do you still have any time remaining on your contract?

I don't really see it being a trap--as long as you read all the fine print--it's just an offer to get you on the latest plan that probably costs the same as what your current one costs and offers more minutes (usually moving people from older American Choice I plans to the newer American Choice II plans). However, there most likely will be a 1-year contract extension, so if you were to do this it'd probably be better to do it when/if you are getting a new phone at a discounted rate as well.

Phone
    Android/Linux
    Feedback Score

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (Since March 2002)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade DM
    What plan are you currently on? And do you still have any time remaining on your contract?

I don't really see it being a trap--as long as you read all the fine print--it's just an offer to get you on the latest plan that probably costs the same as what your current one costs and offers more minutes (usually moving people from older American Choice I plans to the newer American Choice II plans). However, there most likely will be a 1-year contract extension, so if you were to do this it'd probably be better to do it when/if you are getting a new phone at a discounted rate as well.
    My mother has had salespeople call her on many occasions to change her plan, and she told them that doesn't need to. Some of them get mad when she tells them; when I upgrade my phone, then I'll look at upgrading my plan, and not before.

To the OP, make sure that most of the areas you travel will have digital coverage before jumping on AC II, or you may find yourself with plenty of no service areas, if your current phone is all digital.

Phones
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Alias 2 (wife)
    Boulder (son)
    Carriers
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by germ65
    I got an email asking me to "update" my plan ($39/month) to a new one, which will include 450 anytime minutes (this is prominently displayed in the email). The only small print I can read see is: New 1-year agreement may be required.

I am suspicious. This seems like a trap to extend my contract. Am I better off by NOT upgrading?

TIA
    How many mins. does your current plan have? Its very possible the new 450 min. plan is much better depending on what your plan currently is. Some older plans don't have IN calling, no roaming and regional for long distance.

Feedback Score
    OK, my current plan is America's Choice 400 anytime, for $40/month+taxes. Contract end 4/2/08.

So one more year of contract from now is not going to extend my 2 year contract beyond its original length. I only use less than 100 minutes per month, so it does not seem worth the trouble for 50 additional minutes. Any other benefits upgrading?

Phone
    G'zone Boulder
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by germ65
    OK, my current plan is America's Choice 400 anytime, for $40/month+taxes. Contract end 4/2/08.

So one more year of contract from now is not going to extend my 2 year contract beyond its original length. I only use less than 100 minutes per month, so it does not seem worth the trouble for 50 additional minutes. Any other benefits upgrading?

extra 50 minutes a month, or 600 minutes a year. why leave free minutes on the table? who knows, you might talk a lot one month and need them.

no roaming, which is huge. who wants to go on vacation worried whether or not they are going to run up a huge 69 cent a minute bill?

I'm assuming your old AC1 plan has free long distance, unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited IN calling
    Last edited by SCTelephoneMan; 03-23-2007 at 11:04 PM.

Phones
    Motorola W 385
    Nokia 2128i (back up)
    BT Headset Motorola H700
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, basically they are trying to get you on an updated plan. However in the mail I got a better offer than you. I got an extra 1500 mins for a year if I renew my contract. So basically if I go over my 450 it will take away from the 1500mins. I didn't accept the offer though as I don't go over my mins like you.
    Disclaimer: Any posts I may start or reply to are my opinions only. I am not an engineer, sales consultant, or a wireless phone professional. I provide responses purely for discussion purposes. Always call your Carrier for accurate answers.

Feedback Score
    i switched to the 450 minutes from the 400 minutes awhile ago. I lost free calling to canada and mexico by switching to the 450 minute plan. But since I don't call those countries, it was obviously better to switch. If this is something you're concerned about then you may want to check with verizon.
    Last edited by nharmony; 03-23-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Feedback Score
    if you switch plans its considered a price plan change, and if you have less than one year left on your contract, your contract gets extended from the day of the price plan change to end one year from that date.

it doesnt reset your upgrade eligibility, so you can still upgrade anytime after the price plan change...

however, jumping on that new plan may cause you to lose your new every 2.. old NE2 benefits give you $100 towards a new phone, while the new one only gives you $50... so you might want to check into it first, and perhaps upgrade and do a price plan change at the same time... =) you can always get a one year contract price for a free phone, since contract extensions cannot be stacked.
    Using:

For Sale:

All phones for sale are in like-new condition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by asngurldotcom
    if you switch plans its considered a price plan change, and if you have less than one year left on your contract, your contract gets extended from the day of the price plan change to end one year from that date.

it doesnt reset your upgrade eligibility, so you can still upgrade anytime after the price plan change...

however, jumping on that new plan may cause you to lose your new every 2.. old NE2 benefits give you $100 towards a new phone, while the new one only gives you $50... so you might want to check into it first, and perhaps upgrade and do a price plan change at the same time... =) you can always get a one year contract price for a free phone, since contract extensions cannot be stacked.
    NE2 is actually separate from the contract, even though most of the time both dates coincide for most. In any case, in an upgrade case like this, where the contract would need to be extended by a year anyway, or in the case of the original poster not at all, it wouldn't/shouldn't affect or relate to NE2 at all.

As for the original poster, since the contract date wouldn't be extended by upgrading to this plan, there's not much reason not to do it, as was pointed out, since you would get some extra minutes (even if you don't use them really) and you'd be on the latest plan for the same price (plus it could also help if you don't already have unlimited IN and nights and weekends, for some reason), unless you really have some sort of special/promotional features that you think you might lose.

Carrier
    Verizonwireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave73
    My mother has had salespeople call her on many occasions to change her plan, and she told them that doesn't need to. Some of them get mad when she tells them; when I upgrade my phone, then I'll look at upgrading my plan, and not before.

To the OP, make sure that most of the areas you travel will have digital coverage before jumping on AC II, or you may find yourself with plenty of no service areas, if your current phone is all digital.
    The phone calls your mother is getting are from marketers other than Verizon.
    I would not make any changes to my plan any place other than a Verizon store or calling CS directly.

Phones
    Droid
    LG Revolution
    Samsung U550 (personal)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by asngurldotcom

You need to sign a new 2 year contract to get NE2. Signing up for a 1 year with the 1 year price on a phone won't get you the extra NE2 money off.
    I'm just here to inform, even if it's myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast