Thread: Difference between USIM and SIM cards?

Feedback Score

Difference between USIM and SIM cards?

Is there any difference between USIM and SIM cards? I want to buy a phone from Japan (it's a Softbank 705sh), and the description says that it can use USIM cards. Does this mean that it can use the SIM card too in Canada (from Rogers)?

Phones
    Everything
    Nokia 6620 <-- started it all
    Nokia 7210
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    yes but it has to be unlocked and as far as i know, a vast majority of phones from japan are very hard or impossible to unlock ex: sharp 904

Phones
    Blackberry 9650 Pin: 3220F44F
    Blackberry 9650
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I "THINK" that is can be used in a dual ring system. For example, in the middle east alot of car telephones are using the same telephone number as the main cell phone used by the owner. Each time a call comes in and the car is running, both the users cell phone and car phone ring. IIRC the usim goes into the car phone, not the main phone, and regular sim goes into the cellular phone.
    PIN: 3220F44F

Phones
    Galaxy S4
    Dead: Nokia 6110 SCH-A310; Retired: OKI900, Nokia252, QCP860, i600
    Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    VZW
    FET (TW), CMCC (CN)
    Feedback Score
    USIM can be used for more than just phone ID like a SIM card. The USIM slot in my Samsung SCH M600 (SK Telecom) has a Shin Han Bank USIM card which allows me to access my bank account, pay bills, transfer money and so on from anywhere in the country.

KTF is launching a USIM for purchasing KTX (high speed rail) tickets.

SIM is a single purpose card for phone ID. USIM can be used for many purposes.
    Bugwart

Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    I have a Rogers USIM. They hold 400 numbers, you can also finally hold up to 3 phone numbers per sim entry, and one e-mail address.
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"