iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    ▬ JAWBONE I [Sold the II, & the Prime :(], Icon, Blueant Q1, H680, H12
    Carrier
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up Aliph Jawbone Photo-Review + a bit of functionality thrown in

So this is my Impulse Review (Image Intensive) for the Aliph Jawbone (www.jawbone.com). This thing is a work of art. Frankly, one of the SEXIEST inanimate objects I've laid eyes on in a long time.

My First impressions were of awe, astonishment at its design, and packaging. Very nice to get a Cingular branded one for fun, and btw QUITE the change to have a manual that wasn't bilingual.

Note how the earloop is CONTOURED to the side of your head. This was the FIRST thing that I noted with my first BT headset. Wearing prescription lenswear I was quite disappointed that the Wireless Industry had decided to ignore DECADES of research and industrial innovation in Prescription Lenswear by treating the human head as a flat object (no doubt cutting costs by not worrying about devoting extra monies to accomplish this). For this I congratulate Jawbone for paying special attention to detail and incorporating it into their design.

My initial enthusiasm was curbed by that silly orange rubber band that holds FIRM the headset in the plastic support arch. After quickly dismissing the thought of using an exacto blade and scratching up the surface, I opted for the end of a twist tie and slid it under the miniscule rubber band and pulling up-as such off it came without a second thought. My MAIN DIFFICULTY however was that the BLOODY HEADSET was so tightly snug in the seated cup that I was disturbingly fearful of pulling off too hard and breaking the headset. The manual doesn't breathe a word of how to properly (and importantly EASILY) remove it.

Several Ear Loops. From Straight to Contoured. The earloop is gunmetal in colour with an incorporated rubber tensioner which functions quite well. The earloop in fact is spring loaded in its seated position. It's awesome. To facilitate one-handed mounting of the headset I've found that you need to pull-back on the loop, just so, to let your ear lobe slip between them. It's a delicate art, and I've begun to do it a lot easier than the first 3 times I struggled with BOTH hands to do it.

Extra earjels. Fairly low-cost and worthy of being tossed. I'm hunting down the reputed Jabra eargels to test out.

The charger is interesting. My only discontent with it, is that it lacks the Motorola Special design of the flip-down prongs, which are great for travelling as well as just plain old make SENSE. When packing in a suit case they just fit nicer, and no prongs stick out just begging to be bent/broken etc, but are neatly protected and tucked away. Having the capability of charging via your laptop (for business or just plain Laptop Users Extraordinaire is very nice (YET another cable to worry about lugging around hehe) ). Note the charger port at the end of that cable. No luck on WISHING it was but an already common mini-usb plug, so we could have just used any of our several such cables lying around for all the countless products which DO use it already . Sigh., oh well.

Note the Charge Port. There is a little rubber cover that hangs on for dear life. You will need to remove this for charging. Time will tell if they've manufactured it to remain stiff enough NOT to fall off unexpectedly and be forever lost.

Another noteworthy mention here is with regards to Battery efficiency. Unlike other products which require +5~7hour initial charge, THIS unit only needs a 2hour charge. Be it a virgin charge or the 100th., it's ~2hours. The battery is built-in and not replaceable unfortunately, but heck by the time this thing dies, aliph will have no doubt released the next generation unit of this baby. Gone are the LARGE beacon-lights of the Motos, and CUE INTRO a very esthetically pleasing SLIM bar that lights up subtle Red, or subtle White. During charging, note that it turns Red.

At long last. Fully Charged.

Don't kid yourself. This unit is slightly larger than others. The fit takes a little bit of dexterity above that of the AX2 insertion of the spring tail., and naturally more than the standard run of the mill Nokia Clam-Scooper design or the Moto straight ear loop. Once seated, it's not that bad. Play around with your alignment; either perfectly horizontal or slightly angled downward.

All that is important is that the voice activity sensor is resting comfortably on your jawbone. Point of note. While on a conversation, if you fiddle around or even if you're activating/deactivating the Noise Reduction the movement picked up by this VAS causes surprisingly LOUD rustling (as though you're fiddling with blocks).

It takes a little getting used to the location of the multi-function buttons' location, as well as where the noise reduction button is. They both seem to require a fairly FIRM application of pressure to initiate the command compared with ALL other BT's that I've used. This may prove to place unnecessary strain on your fingers if you're an avid advanced features type user. I would rate the TENSION here at a 9/10 compared with the tension of the AX2 and all the Moto Series at a 4~5/10. So you can see that it is truly noticeably Much tougher to push that damn button.

Pairing is straight-forward, as well as the basic commands, call, end call, etc.

I haven't thoroughly tested this yet. Let's hope for the best as I jump on the highway this week. Range, and functionality is great, common distances and movements around the house: upstairs, downstairs don't give much trouble to the performance. My initial review of the beeps and audible notification tones for the various features is nice. Noise Reduction ON - ascending tones, NR Off - descending tones. Great. My only bewilderment stems from the ANNOYING LOUD 2~3s beep when you power off the unit. Why, Jawbone...WHY.

All in All., I'm VERY impressed with the packaging, and the esthetics of this headset. Bravo Jawbone . Let's just see if I can mimic that leaf-blower stunt they do.

Hope you enjoyed the review and the pics.

Yours

-bubble.tea

Sorry-I forgot to drop a line for my supplier. Only person in Ottawa who proactively responded to my Looking For Ad. "Cellular Pro". Great Guy. Thanks for being at the bleeding edge of BT in our Nations Capital.
    Last edited by bubble.tea; 03-29-2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: forgot to give props to my supplier :)
    300 @ 5pm●5K SMS●Auto Roadside●Unlim Inc●1000LD●R2RLD●VP●6Gb LTDizzle+credits = <$36
    34+|0|0 119+|0|0

For Sale: Crazy Sexy Cool 416-888's or 613 #'s
    WTT: My BNIB Note 2 for an Ipad Mini or 4
    Factory Unlocked 5White32gb, GNote2x2, 9900 LNIB Retired, GS3 for Mobi
    i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 9Gb DDR3
    My Wireless LD FAQ., READ IT!!!
    The Jawbone I, photo-review

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wow. That is a nice review. I wish that I could get one of these, but there is no way the wife will justify it. I absolutely love the design of it, and fell in love with it the first time I saw it. I can only hope for a major price drop.

Keep this post going and post up how you like it after a week or a month.
    Current Device: White Out Moto X 32GB
    THE RULES!
    Please report all inappropriate posts by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom of the post.

Phone
    Palm Treo 700wx
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    great review!! for some reason i cant seem to get it to work with my call waiting on my phone! but the noise shield is amazing!

Phones
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawelm9
    great review!! for some reason i cant seem to get it to work with my call waiting on my phone! but the noise shield is amazing!
    ooooh., TELUS. let's try it out. pm if you wish.

I just revisited the manual...I don't see anything in there for headset initiated Call waiting... Could it be lacking in actually able to do this?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ack. I just got my Plantronics Explorer 330 in the mail today, and it looks so chintzy in comparison to the Jawbone. I got a great deal on it at Newegg, so I couldn't pass on it.

Phones
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    Ack. I just got my Plantronics Explorer 330 in the mail today, and it looks so chintzy in comparison to the Jawbone. I got a great deal on it at Newegg, so I couldn't pass on it.
    lmao. You know what's funny? I'll tell ya. After eye-ballin' the BT800 (jabra) for over a year now, and constantly having on-board CID display-envy, I got mine delivered via xpresspost MINT off've a trade. It's still in the box...and I doubt I'll ever pull it out....lol-how could I?

OOps. I can't believe I completely forgot to disclose the fact that the pics were taken exclusively with WIFEY'S W810i. Thank GOD for 'macro'. I'm in the process of upgrading (already sold my S2IS) and am expecting my S3IS in the mail (with the usual RFD calibre discounts of course ). This is the main reason why you didn't see any videos which usually accompany my reviews-as well as those super crazy MACRO shots that the S2IS and above is capable of.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, that W810i takes some nice pics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble.tea
    Several Ear Loops. From Straight to Contoured.
    Actually, they're both contoured. It's just that one's for "standard-sized" ears and another's for "long" ones. I've personally found that the standard ear loop works best for me if I finesse it a little to follow the curvature of my ear a little closer.

I'm hunting down the reputed Jabra eargels to test out.
    I've just purchased both the standard EarGels assortment pack as well as the MiniGels pack and I can tell you what works out-of-the-box and what doesn't. The EarGels, while snugly fitting, don't line up properly with the path of the Jawbone's barrel plug. If you orient the auditory pathway (for lack of a better term) as-is, the Jawbone will end up sticking up and away from your mouth. Not a GOOD THING(TM). As mentioned by sumisu in the other thread, you'll have to perform a little surgery on it in order to obtain a alternative channel to your ear canal. I'm not sure what "newer versions" of the EarGels he found, but the part number on my UPC code was "Eargel202". Furthermore, I've found that even if you do rotate the EarGel correctly, it still settles in the canal at a downward-sloping angle which I've found not to be conducive to the Jawbone as this would cause excessive pressure on the voice activity sensor and/or force the EarGel from it's optimum seating. That being said, the MiniGel #81 seems to be in the proper orientation by default and fits nicely in my ear, although not as nicely as the EarGels alone, I must admit.

Note the Charge Port. There is a little rubber cover that hangs on for dear life. You will need to remove this for charging. Time will tell if they've manufactured it to remain stiff enough NOT to fall off unexpectedly and be forever lost.
    It was not intended to be a permanent or even semi-permanent fixture on the Jawbone unit, according to Aliph's CEO or Chief Scientist (I can't remember which off the top of my head right now, nor can I find the link). It's meant to be as disposable as those little rubber bands that held the Jawbone to the little plastic pedistal. I, of course, kept everything secured in the black cardboard box with the extra earbuds.

Play around with your alignment; either perfectly horizontal or slightly angled downward.
    The word from the horse's mouth was that optimal placement was toward the mouth and, therefore, angled downward. Do feel free to test that theory, however Oh, and I totally agree with everything else you mentioned
    Last edited by PacoBell; 03-29-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I appreciate your review and keep eyeballing the Jawbone to see if it justifies the cost. I'm using the Plantronics Voyager 510 right now and wonder if there is a significant difference in audible quality vs. the Jawbone. Please continue to let us know how you make out.

Phones
    bunch of phones
    iphone
    Carrier
    fido
    Feedback Score
    great review... thanks

but did i read too fast that i miss it... there seem to be no mention of anything about comfort of use... i need to put on a bt headset up to 3~4 hours sometimes...

btw, most new bt headsets nowadays charges for 2 hours or less, i have not seen any that requires 5 hours, and i have bought 3 different Bt headsets in the past 3mon... and i need a 4th one
    i use my cellphones too much, my brains are fried...

Phones
    GoogleNexus, GNote
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Thank you. Great comments from all.

^^^, have you ever heard what it's like if you fumble around with the headset in mid-convo? That rustling is hilarious-from the VAS that is.

^^, Oh I'll be eye-ballin' it allright

^, well right off the bat-the only aspect of the jawbone that I can see immediately being uncomfortable is how HARD you need to press to initiate the commands. It's STUPID stiff. Otherwise, the spring-loaded ear loop and the nice rubber, which is flexible and soft, part thereof also helps it rest quite comfortably. I wear prescription lenswear so remember I'm dealing with TWO 'loops' on my lobe-and I don't see a problem with it.

Though larger than other headsets (well large in that it sticks WAY OUT on the side of your head than any other units I've used (well perhaps not the H300 (AAA version of the Moto classic styles))) it surprisingly sits quite nicely and without any immediate sharp or pointy parts (like the STUPID H3 (Moto RaZR counter) that would end up causing pain quite shortly. I remember first wearing the AX2 for a good four hours, and noticed that the spring tail was REALLY hurting my sensitive ears . Hopefully time will tell that there shouldn't be any issue like this here.

You know what's awesome...eventhough I've already taken so many photos...I STILL want to take more . This thing is enchanting.

Before I forget, when I was opening the packaging up initially, I thought the faceplates where interchangeable, and that the RED one was included . A quick fleabay visit proved me wrong. That RED one is so sexy in its own right .
    Last edited by bubble.tea; 03-30-2007 at 05:28 AM.

Feedback Score

jawbone died after 3 weeks

i had a jawbone which i bought at a local cingular store and i loved it. I only wish it had A2DP functionality. Otherwise, it was awesome.
    About 3 weeks after i bought it, it wouldn't turn on or charge. I have no idea what happened.
    anyone else experience a dead headset?
    fortunately it was still within a thirty day period and i returned it to cingular. I like the headset so much i plan to buy another one when the store gets them in stock. I was curious if this is a known issue?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
    Samsung Galaxy Note (international version)
    Dell Streak (retired)
    Carrier
    Alltel to AT&T wireless, to Cingular, to at&t...Leave the name alone will ya?
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by entfla
    About 3 weeks after i bought it, it wouldn't turn on or charge. I have no idea what happened.
    anyone else experience a dead headset?
    Did you try resetting it? It might have been "stuck" for some reason.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
    Samsung Galaxy Note (international version)
    Dell Streak (retired)
    Carrier
    Alltel to AT&T wireless, to Cingular, to at&t...Leave the name alone will ya?
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by friedbrains

but did i read too fast that i miss it... there seem to be no mention of anything about comfort of use... i need to put on a bt headset up to 3~4 hours sometimes...
    I wear my jawbone almost 8 hours a day...no problems at all. I might pull it
    off to use a regular phone when I'm in the office, but that is about it.
    I'm a field service engineer and I'm constantly using the phone while working,
    helping other techs out, and it is NICE not to have to stop what I am doing to
    hold a phone up to my ear. I wear glasses also, and the skinny nature of the
    jawbone allows for both my glasses and jawbone without any problems.
    Plus, the equipment I work on can get noisy at times, and it's fun when I turn
    the noise shield off and tell them, "yes I'm working, no I'm not at home with my feet propped up"

Phones
    bunch of phones
    iphone
    Carrier
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p51d007
    I wear my jawbone almost 8 hours a day...no problems at all. I might pull it
    off to use a regular phone when I'm in the office, but that is about it.
    I'm a field service engineer and I'm constantly using the phone while working,
    helping other techs out, and it is NICE not to have to stop what I am doing to
    hold a phone up to my ear. I wear glasses also, and the skinny nature of the
    jawbone allows for both my glasses and jawbone without any problems.
    Plus, the equipment I work on can get noisy at times, and it's fun when I turn
    the noise shield off and tell them, "yes I'm working, no I'm not at home with my feet propped up"
    that is good to hear, unfortunately i have such a sensitive ear when it comes to fitting and weight of the bt headset, anyway thanks i just have to try it i supposed...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast