Thread: Slingbox & Verizon?

Phone
    Moto V3x
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Slingbox & Verizon?

Have any Slingbox users gotten busted by Verizon for going over the data limit on the UNLIMITED data plan? The whole reason I got my Slingbox was to use it with my new phone (Moto Q.) Are there any alternatives? I'll switch carriers if I have to.

Phones
    iPhone 3G (Black 16gig)
    VZW Treo 700w (pure sh*t)
    Loud Shouting (in case of technology failure)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    nope...just don't go over 5 gb and you'll be ok. I've been slinging for 5 months with no problems. I usually stay around 2 gb

Feedback Score
    Same here - i have been using SB for almost 1 year with Verizon. I have never checked my monthly usage - never knew that there is a 5GB limit on the "unlimited" package. Although I would love to have an argument with Verizon billing dept if I did exceed the 5 GB limit.

Phones
    Razr Maxx VE
    Razr V3m
    Treo 700w
    Carrier
    VZW- They never worked for us....
    Feedback Score
    lol good luck with that prouse. If you read your TOS then you'll see it says slinging is violating your TOS and verizon has the right to shut down your line.....technically speaking. I work for em and I think its bull personally. Unlimited should be unlimited but its not.....5gb is pretty much what it is...fyi

Phones
    LG VX9800
    LG VX7000
    LG VX6000
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prouse
    Same here - i have been using SB for almost 1 year with Verizon. I have never checked my monthly usage - never knew that there is a 5GB limit on the "unlimited" package. Although I would love to have an argument with Verizon billing dept if I did exceed the 5 GB limit.
    what would the argument be about? That you didn't read the terms of use? The terms of use strictly prohibit slingbox, and while I would agree that unlimited does not translate to < 5 GB, it is used for verizon to help determine who is using the broadband for things that are against the TOS. So I don't think you would have much of an argument.

Phone
    Bold 9650
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    About how much video is 2gb?

Phones
    XV-6700
    LG VX-6000 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Phone
    Bold 9650
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Oh good. I was thinking it would be more like 5 hours for 2gb. This is good news, maybe I will invest in a slingbox.

Feedback Score
    k40jeep - the argument would be about false advertising. In addition, I would bet that Verizon would not disconnect / turn off my service. I have been a Verizon Wireless customer (pre-verizon) for 18 years - with over 100 active lines. My guess is that our account rep would smile and simply ask us to tone down the slingbox usage. Then again, large companies have a tendency to make dumb decisions.

Phones
    LG VX9800
    LG VX7000
    LG VX6000
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    k40jeep - the argument would be about false advertising. In addition, I would bet that Verizon would not disconnect / turn off my service. I have been a Verizon Wireless customer (pre-verizon) for 18 years - with over 100 active lines. My guess is that our account rep would smile and simply ask us to tone down the slingbox usage. Then again, large companies have a tendency to make dumb decisions.
    I understand the point about false advertising and I agree to a point but I also see why verizon has the 5 GB limit. It's because for the most part 5GB is unlimited UNLESS you are violating the terms of service. It would be very hard to go over the 5GB otherwise.

Phone
    iPhone5 | iPhone4 | Nexus S
    Carrier
    Verizon|AT&T|Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Good luck with that. Many before you have entered the fray with the same set of arguments. To date, the score card is:

Customer: 0
    Verizon : 100%

In the same way "all-you-can-eat" has reasonable limits associated with it (legally), in the same way you can be ticketed for driving too fast on the (no speed limit posted) German autobahns, Verizon has posted the limits of their "unlimited" data packages. I'm sure there's a chance they will change their policy because YOU disagree with it.