Phones
    iPhone 3g
    Nexus One
    Bb bold 9000
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Sprint's hiring policy?

I have a question for current Sprint employees about the hiring process. I posted my resume to Sprint's site and the next day the manager invited me to apply for a position and to fill out an application on a website for verifications inc. Next I went in for a personality test and drug test. Is this usally normal for a company to spend money on a drug test before an actual interview?

And to clear it up before comments start, no I don't use drugs and will have no problems passing.

Carriers
    T-Mobile (current)
    Verizon, Sprint (1997-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Considering the cost of drug testing, I would think that most retail establishments would wait until AFTER an interview goes well and the person is about to be hired before commencing a drug test.

But then, it's not unheard of for Sprint to do stupid things that cost lots of money.

Feedback Score
    No offense, but maybe the manager didn't want to waste their time with an interview if the person can't pass the drug test. There is no sense spending time getting to know someone, and thinking they would be a good candidate, if they can't already pass the prerequisites.

When I had my interview, I had to take the drug test within 24 hours.

Phones
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wife's Pearl
    Daughter's Fusic
    Carrier
    Sprint-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fusiclover
    No offense, but maybe the manager didn't want to waste their time with an interview if the person can't pass the drug test. There is no sense spending time getting to know someone, and thinking they would be a good candidate, if they can't already pass the prerequisites.

When I had my interview, I had to take the drug test within 24 hours.
    i agree 100%, why get through 2 interviews, and THEN see the person you wanted to hire is only going to fail the drug test, and you have to start the process all over.

Phones
    iPhone 3g
    Nexus One
    Bb bold 9000
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    If you read my post you will see I am not worried about the drug test, just wondering why a company would put a drug test before an actual interview and if anyone thought I would not pass the drug test then why would they ask me to apply in the first place and then invite me to come take the personality test and drug test? Does't make sense to me, spend company resources on someone they dont even want to hire. Stop thinking the worst of someone you dont even know, I just asked if this was normal for Sprint.

Phones
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wife's Pearl
    Daughter's Fusic
    Carrier
    Sprint-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrus369
    If you read my post you will see I am not worried about the drug test, just wondering why a company would put a drug test before an actual interview and if anyone thought I would not pass the drug test then why would they ask me to apply in the first place and then invite me to come take the personality test and drug test? Does't make sense to me, spend company resources on someone they dont even want to hire. Stop thinking the worst of someone you dont even know, I just asked if this was normal for Sprint.
    I read your original post. Not everyone that does drugs comes across as someone that does. Especially if they are trying to get a job at the time. In my opinion, it is cheaper to read resumes, see who is qualified in my mind, cut it down to maybe three candidates, and send them for drug tests. Like I said previously, to spend all the time for interviews, and then have someone fail would be a waste of company money. Is it policy? Not that I know of. It's more of a managerial call. Maybe this manager really sees you as the person he wants to hire, and is just trying to move things along. Maybe he has been jaded by a potential employee before, only to see the person fail the drug test. Maybe he has lost employees due to drug use. There are a million what ifs. But as far as it being policy to drug test before interview, no, not from what I have seen, it just gets things moving.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrus369
    Stop thinking the worst of someone you dont even know, I just asked if this was normal for Sprint.

I wasn't insinuating that you wouldn't pass... the comment wasn't really directed at you. I was just giving an answer to your question. I said "no offense" because I didn't want you to think that I thought the manager was thinking you did drugs.

Phones
    Moto Q
    Razor V3c (Twice)
    PC5740 (Alltel) and/or U720 (Sprint) Aircard with a KR1 Router
    Carriers
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ceon
    . . . . . In my opinion, it is cheaper to read resumes, see who is qualified in my mind, cut it down to maybe three candidates, and send them for drug tests. Like I said previously, to spend all the time for interviews, and then have someone fail would be a waste of company money. . . . . .
    In my opinion, if it was actually you spending your money I doubt you'd see it that way. How can this possibly save money? What does it "cost" to interview potential applicants? The manager, or whoever is doing the interviews, is there working anyway I assume. I can't imagine there's any work that will never get done because the manager interviewed some applicants. The work may be delayed but it will get done. If you're the owner of the business I can almost promise you that you'll choose to drug test your final choice for the position after you've interviewed them.

In my area it costs $35 to drug test an applicant. Your scenario would cost me $105 in drug tests before I even interviewed the applicant. In my opinion and in my experience it's much less expensive to do a good job verifying application/resume info (I actually call past employers! And personal references are a gold mine of info.) to weed out the impostors and then, having learned how to do an extensive interview, (knowing what to ask, what to look for in so many areas like body language, does the applicant look you in the eye, nervousness, etc. All of this being relative to the position I need filled of course.)yada yada yada . . . . . when I've decided who I want to hire, I then send then off for the drug test.

If I want to hire good, responsible employees I'm shooting myself in the foot if I don't want to spend any time doing it. I require the same diligence in hiring practices of the managers I employ as well.

Again, this is totally different from the aspect of the one actually spending the money to hire someone rather than an employee/manager hiring for someone else and spending someone else's money. Heck, we're all more careful about taking money out of our own pocket than we are about taking the same money out of an employer's pocket!

Phones
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wife's Pearl
    Daughter's Fusic
    Carrier
    Sprint-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Everyone has their own style, and I see yours, and understand it. I see no problem in it, but i think spending $150 or so dollars, to speed up the process is a viable reason. Sometimes stores are understaffed, and a manager is NEEDED on the floor, so just to get an interview is hard. Imagine if they went through all that, and the want to be employee worked out great as far as references, and applicable skills, but failed the drug test. Its back to square one, to a manager that is understaffed and needs to hire someone ASAP. As I said before, maybe the manager really thinks OP is going to be his choice, and he is just moving along the process, or he is just doing some pre-weeding out. Everyone has a style, and its up to them how they run their store. This being said, yes, I would spend the money. I'm sure Sprint-Nextel has a deal with the companies that do the drug tests. Its a small investment in the future of the managers store.

Phone
    EVO
    Carrier
    SPRINTPCS
    Feedback Score
    A drug test (urinalysis) costs about 5 bucks or less at any major testing lab.

Phones
    Moto Q
    Razor V3c (Twice)
    PC5740 (Alltel) and/or U720 (Sprint) Aircard with a KR1 Router
    Carriers
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ceon
    Everyone has their own style, and I see yours, and understand it. I see no problem in it, but i think spending $150 or so dollars, to speed up the process is a viable reason. Sometimes stores are understaffed, and a manager is NEEDED on the floor, so just to get an interview is hard. Imagine if they went through all that, and the want to be employee worked out great as far as references, and applicable skills, but failed the drug test. Its back to square one, to a manager that is understaffed and needs to hire someone ASAP. As I said before, maybe the manager really thinks OP is going to be his choice, and he is just moving along the process, or he is just doing some pre-weeding out. Everyone has a style, and its up to them how they run their store. This being said, yes, I would spend the money. I'm sure Sprint-Nextel has a deal with the companies that do the drug tests. Its a small investment in the future of the managers store.
    I agree with you as to everyone having their own style. My point is mainly that when it comes to having to write the check for these and any other costs associated with running a business you are MUCH less liable to just throw money at a problem when it's your money than when it's not. Also, when it's your money you're a lot less likely to let it get to the point of just having to hire somebody real quick to fill a spot. In my experience I've NEVER gotten through the interview process and to the point of deciding to hire someone and then having them drug tested only to have them come back dirty. It just doesn't happen when I check them out properly.

As for drlovety, I truly wish you were correct! I can assure you I didn't make up the figure I quoted before. It costs me $35 to have a drug test done at the local clinic. I just did a quick google for prices and found it was anywhere from $25 up. In my experience you can't walk in the door of a clinic or a Dr.'s office for "about 5 bucks or less". At least not where I live!! My business isn't as large as Sprint and I would think they definitely have some kind of deals in place but they have to deal with clinics all across the country and with pretty decent turnover I would imagine this is a pretty substantial cost for them.

FWIW, my experience is from owning (along with various partners) a small chain of C-stores, 7 dollar stores, 2 restaurants, and a coupe of medium sized motels. Hiring policies are of extreme importance to me since a lot of the people we hire directly handle my money!!

This makes for good conversation though. I've enjoyed your vary valid points. Thanks j4ceon!

Phones
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wife's Pearl
    Daughter's Fusic
    Carrier
    Sprint-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Anytime, as you've said, managers go with what works for them. With Sprint Nextel being such a large company, and using the same lab nationwide, (from what i have been told) they do receive special pricing. I know we give their employees a discount on wireless service, lol. Anyway, thats neither here nor there. I have seen managers go about hiring both ways, and both be successful in their ways. Back to the OP's question, and I know I have already answered it. There is no pre-interview mandatory drug test at Sprint, from what I've seen.

Phone
    A920
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Drug and background tests are always what my stores do last. The steps I take is to

1) Fill out the personality test - If you do not pass we can't hire you
    2) Get a resume and interview you
    3) Have you take a drug test and run background. Background usually takes 5-7 days.
    4) Submit an offer to the candidate if everything above goes well.

Phones
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wife's Pearl
    Daughter's Fusic
    Carrier
    Sprint-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    i did forget to mention that I got hired in through legacy nextel, maybe this store is legacy nextel? if not, maybe the manager REALLY needs the help, and wants to get that 5-7 day for a background/drug test moving. either way, id think it as a plus that the manager is advancing you like that