Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Virgin Mobile USA phones on Virgin Mobile Canada

Hello,

We currently live in the US but will be moving back to Canada this summer. I am curious to know if Virgin Mobile USA phones will work in Canada. Since Virgin Mobile USA phones cost much less than the phones in Canada would it be possible to use the phone with Virgin Mobile Canada? Can I do a sim card swap? Are the phones locked to Virgin Mobile USA only?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Phones
    LG P690
    Motorola W233 Renew
    Carriers
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score
    Your answer will be found on Virgin's site. Here is a quote:

"Q. Can I use my Virgin Mobile phone if I am travelling outside the United States?

A. Our coverage area includes all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. At this time, our phones won't work on networks outside that area. Sorry."

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdrumming
    Your answer will be found on Virgin's site. Here is a quote:

"Q. Can I use my Virgin Mobile phone if I am travelling outside the United States?

A. Our coverage area includes all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. At this time, our phones won't work on networks outside that area. Sorry."
    Thanks for the reply. I know the Virgin Mobile USA network will not work outside the US.

What I am inquiring about is whether the Virgin Mobile USA phones are compatible with the Virgin Mobile Canada network.

Phones
    LG P690
    Motorola W233 Renew
    Carriers
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjreisch
    Thanks for the reply. I know the Virgin Mobile USA network will not work outside the US.

What I am inquiring about is whether the Virgin Mobile USA phones are compatible with the Virgin Mobile Canada network.
    I would say no, just as Virgin Canada phones are not compatible on the Virgin USA network.
    As it says, Virgin USA phones will not work outside of their network (including Canada)
    Last edited by iamdrumming; 04-08-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    telering
    Feedback Score
    The answer is no Virgin Mobile US phones are not allowed on the Canadian network. There is no technological reason it could not happen both use CDMA VM US using Sprint's network and VM CAN using Bell Mobility's network but CDMA providers are just like that in both Canada and the US they generally only allow their own phones. They say it has to do with phone software incompatibilities mostly (how the browser is configured and how the phone is tuned for the network, preferred roam list, etc.)since the phones that Virgin US uses are almost all different from phones that Virgin Mobile Canada uses VM CAN won't have software for those US phones. In the end its all about locking the phones down to allow them to do only what the provider wants, if outside phones are allowed companies like VM loses control over certain revenue streams.

Carrier
    Rogers Communications Inc.
    Feedback Score
    no no and no-vmc phones for canada only-the phones are not that expensive if you don't mind an "old style" phone. Best Buy has the nokia 2125 for $49.99 http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...79&catid=23504 from the virgin site-its $59 https://virginmobile.ca/site/buyhotphone.do

Phone
    Nokia e62
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    7-11 has a good promo going on in Canada. Buy a Nokia 1112 phone for $75 get a free $50 credit as well as $10 on the phone making it $15 total cost. Minutes are 20 cents and good for a year.

Even tho the phone is basic they do come with a SIM card so you could swap it for a better unlocked GSM phone from ebay etc.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know how long the 7-11 promo is running for?

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It apparently is different in different parts of the country. When are you planning on coming to Canada?

Also are you thinking of this for a regular phone or will you have a landline that you mainly use?

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo
    It apparently is different in different parts of the country. When are you planning on coming to Canada?

Also are you thinking of this for a regular phone or will you have a landline that you mainly use?
    We will be up for a quick visit in May and will be moving back in July.

This cellphone will be for emergency use only. We will be using a landline or VOIP phone for regular use.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    as you would use it as a temp phone your best and cheapest bet would be the Nokia 2121i

https://virginmobile.ca/site/buyhotphone.do
    currently $59 from the virgin site

cheap, good quality, and will last FOREVER

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjreisch
    We will be up for a quick visit in May and will be moving back in July.

This cellphone will be for emergency use only. We will be using a landline or VOIP phone for regular use.
    7-11 is good then. For $100 you get an unlocked phone and the current promotion is 275 minutes of airtime (probably a bit less because it's been sitting on the shelf). When you go back to the states you can keep the phone and use it for a US GSM carrier. Just double checking you mean you will be here from May-July, not quick visit in may and then moving permanently in July?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    but they already have a virgin phone in the states so what would the point be in buying a phone for $100 the nokia 2125i above is $59 plus $10 starter bonus plus $10 from a kickback code-$20 of airtime just for activating a phone. oh ya buy from direct from the site and get a bonus $25 top up card (top up bonus expires a.30). that would have you set for a month or so.

if you are happy with virgin usa stick with virgin.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.

live strong: Virgin USA phones don't work with Virgin Canada.

migo: 1 week visit in May. Moving back to Canada in July.

7-11 looks like a good option but I'll look at VMC, PC and Petro-Can during our visit.
    Last edited by rjreisch; 04-12-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Phones
    iPhone 16 GB
    Samsung m230
    Carrier
    Bell $22 Corporate
    Feedback Score
    For your VoIP - consider CIA if you want a new number. www.CIA.com. We use them and for $40 + tax get our phone and internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast