Thread: Can I use TracFone/Net10 on any unlocked GSM phone?

Phone
    BB Bold 9700
    Carrier
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score

Can I use TracFone/Net10 on any unlocked GSM phone?

If I buy one of their phones, can I pop the SIM into any unlocked phone and use that instead?

-mike
    $69 on ROGERS: Unlimited Outgoing & Incoming Local and Long Distance Calling Minutes and Text Messaging from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada & USA, 6GB Data, Call Display, Voicemail (GV), Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Conference Calling

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew44
    If I buy one of their phones, can I pop the SIM into any unlocked phone and use that instead?

-mike

In a word...

NO!
    I guess I don't know the right people, because I can't get away with anything around here... Rest assured, though, I will never maliciously properly quote anybody again!

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    First, my apologies for CSI Nut's harsh answer. Unfortunately, he is right -- all Trac and Net10 phones depend on the minute tracking done by the phone itself, not the SIM card. Many of these phones are also not unlockable.

These phones are a good deal for the casual US traveller, however. A Tracfone can be bought for $29.99 out of the store with 80 minutes on them (The website's www.tracfone.com phones come with 20 minutes for $14.99, or $19.99 with two 60 min. cards, but mailing to Canada is not guaranteed) Calls to Canada are surcharge-free (just using normal minute rates) by dialing 1-800-706-3839 from your Tracfone, there is another number if you use Net10. Net10's phones come with 300 minutes and start at $19.99 on their website www.net10.com, do not know about store prices or web shipping to Canada.

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    First, my apologies for CSI Nut's harsh answer. Unfortunately, he is right -- all Trac and Net10 phones depend on the minute tracking done by the phone itself, not the SIM card. Many of these phones are also not unlockable.

These phones are a good deal for the casual US traveller, however. A Tracfone can be bought for $29.99 out of the store with 80 minutes on them (The website's www.tracfone.com phones come with 20 minutes for $14.99, or $19.99 with two 60 min. cards, but mailing to Canada is not guaranteed) Calls to Canada are surcharge-free (just using normal minute rates) by dialing 1-800-706-3839 from your Tracfone, there is another number if you use Net10. Net10's phones come with 300 minutes and start at $19.99 on their website www.net10.com, do not know about store prices or web shipping to Canada.
    And my apologies for not giving my usual sales pitch for Tracfone and Net10... LOL! I've just found that when the interchangeability question comes up, it's best to be direct and to the point because there is no in-between on this one. It simply can't be done, no way, no how.

There really is no reason to swap a Tracfone SIM into an unlocked phone, IMO. If you're looking for a prepaid provider's SIM that you can put into a fancy unlocked GSM phone, I'd suggest T-Mobile2GO or Cingular GOPhone instead, depending on your coverage and calling pattern needs.

Having said all that, there are some very good bargains to be found from Tracfone and Net10, if you know where to look. I'd start with the websites, with the $19.99 deals. In the case of Tracfone, make sure you ask around about "bonus codes" before you activate PIN cards. Currently 51283 will get you 60 extra minutes, 57676 will get you 30 extra days. There are more codes out there for the asking and the researching.