Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Call forwarding: single charge or double charge on minutes?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19
    Phone
    Palm Treo 750
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0

    Call forwarding: single charge or double charge on minutes?

    I have a family plan and need to have calls forwarded from one line to another.

    Will I be charged for minutes on both lines or just once?

    Say I get a call and talk for 10 minutes. Will I be deducted 10 minutes for the 1st line that forwarded the call and also for the 2nd line which I received the call on?

    The guy at the Cingular store told me I won't get charged twice so I just wanted to make sure.

    Anybody have experience with this issue?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,466
    Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnaz
    I have a family plan and need to have calls forwarded from one line to another.

    Will I be charged for minutes on both lines or just once?

    Say I get a call and talk for 10 minutes. Will I be deducted 10 minutes for the 1st line that forwarded the call and also for the 2nd line which I received the call on?

    The guy at the Cingular store told me I won't get charged twice so I just wanted to make sure.

    Anybody have experience with this issue?
    You are charged for the airtime on each line. This will not count as mobile to mobile between the two lines since the call was not dialed directly. The network did the dialing.
    Earl F. Parrish

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19
    Phone
    Palm Treo 750
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for letting me know.

    The Cingular rep who sold me the phone and extra line said I would not be charged double minutes so I'm glad I checked with the community here.

    So can I still take the phone back and get a full refund? I have 30 days right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,466
    Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnaz
    Thanks for letting me know.

    The Cingular rep who sold me the phone and extra line said I would not be charged double minutes so I'm glad I checked with the community here.

    So can I still take the phone back and get a full refund? I have 30 days right?
    Whether or not you pay for call forwarding is independent of the phone model. You have the thirty day buyer remorse with Cingular/AT&T. You are responsible for any usage on a prorated basis and for the activation fee if more than three days have elapsed since your purchase. Be aware that other carriers may give you less time to change your mind.

    Here is the policy:

    30 DAY CANCELLATION POLICY I may terminate this Agreement within thirty (30) days after activating service without paying an Early Termination Fee. I will pay for service fees and charges incurred through the termination date, but Cingular will refund my activation fee, if any, if I terminate within three (3) days of activating the service. Also, I may have to return any handsets and accessories purchased with this Agreement. If I terminate after the 30th day but before expiration of the Agreement's Service Commitment, I will pay Cingular an Early Termination Fee for each wireless telephone number associated with the service.

    Why not have your correspondents call the second line directly and not pay for forwarding at all? The first phone would not be able to use voice mail if you forward all calls to another number instead of voice mail. You are paying $9.99 extra to use just one phone. Plus you will use your anytime minutes twice as fast unless the first call is from a Cingular customer. Actually, I misspoke. You would be charged for an incoming call on the first line, an outgoing call on the first line and an incoming call on the second line. You would pay for three calls.
    Last edited by efparri; 04-25-2007 at 06:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    2,951
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Call forwarding counts as m2m when forwarded from a another cingular phone. I use it all the time and the it counts as m2m for the forwarding part, the receiving line is the one that gets charged peak time if a non cingular # is calling.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,466
    Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oneaznriceboi
    Call forwarding counts as m2m when forwarded from a another cingular phone. I use it all the time and the it counts as m2m for the forwarding part, the receiving line is the one that gets charged peak time if a non cingular # is calling.
    Perhaps your market is not yet on the uniform Cingular billing system. This comes from Cingular's Answer Center:

    QUESTION:
    What is Unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling?

    ANSWER:
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile (M2M) allows you to make unlimited calls to and from any other Cingular customer when making calls within your rate plan's calling area.


    Using Mobile to Mobile:

    Mobile to Mobile minutes may be used when you directly dial or receive a call from another Cingular phone number from within your calling area.
    If you return a call from a Cingular customer through voice mail, it no longer counts as mobile to mobile and calls to voice mail will not count as mobile to mobile no matter what number you call once Cingular implements the uniform billing system in all markets.
    Last edited by efparri; 04-25-2007 at 07:39 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    2,951
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    Perhaps your market is not yet on the uniform Cingular billing system. This come from Cingular's Answer Center:



    If you return a call from a Cingular customer through voice mail, it no longer counts as mobile to mobile and calls to voice mail will not count as mobile to mobile no matter what number you call once Cingular implements the uniform billing system in all markets.


    I don't know what market you are in, but it has been like this for me for a long time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,466
    Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    You and the original poster are in the California market. You still can call voice mail as mobile to mobile. That will not last.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,145
    Phones
    SE K850i
    Nokia 6131 v5.50
    Nokia 6820 v5.30
    Carriers
    Cingular Blue
    MTS RUS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    You and the original poster are in the California market. You still can call voice mail as mobile to mobile. That will not last.
    I don't know what gave you that idea — the calls to VM have not been billed as M2M in California ever since the migration to Orange billing system about a year ago.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,466
    Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dmapr
    I don't know what gave you that idea — the calls to VM have not been billed as M2M in California ever since the migration to Orange billing system about a year ago.
    People reported in this forum that they were getting around the anytime minute charges by calling their own number. In my market (Washington-Baltimore), it never was mobile to mobile unless you called your own number from another Cingular phone and let it go to voice mail.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,145
    Phones
    SE K850i
    Nokia 6131 v5.50
    Nokia 6820 v5.30
    Carriers
    Cingular Blue
    MTS RUS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    People reported in this forum that they were getting around the anytime minute charges by calling their own number. In my market (Washington-Baltimore), it never was mobile to mobile unless you called your own number from another Cingular phone and let it go to voice mail.
    Ever since they switched to Orange billing I only had VM call billed as M2M once — when I called while in Atlanta. It doesn't matter whether I use VM retrieval number or own number — never bills as M2M anymore

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,635
    Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Blackberry 8310
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oneaznriceboi
    Call forwarding counts as m2m when forwarded from a another cingular phone.
    It's the same here in Houston FWIW. I don't see what voicemail has to do with any of this as I'm forwarding from a Cingular device to another Cingular device and not via the voicemail center number but via the number of the device I'm forwarding to. In any case, both have unlimited M2M and I've never been billed for any forwarded calls with this arrangement. I have no clue what billing system we're on in this market.

    Calls to the forwarding line are obviously billed unless from another Cingular customer but the forwarding call to the other Cingular device is not billed on either end. Yes, voicemail on the forwarding device is bypassed but that's irrelevant to me.
    Last edited by briareus; 04-26-2007 at 11:44 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    78
    Feedback Score
    0
    Same here in southern indiana. calls forwarded from my other family plan phone to mine are M2M

    Quote Originally Posted by briareus
    It's the same here in Houston FWIW. I don't see what voicemail has to do with any of this as I'm forwarding from a Cingular device to another Cingular device and not via the voicemail center number but via the number of the device I'm forwarding to. In any case, both have unlimited M2M and I've never been billed for any forwarded calls with this arrangement. I have no clue what billing system we're on in this market.

    Calls to the forwarding line are obviously billed unless from another Cingular customer but the forwarding call to the other Cingular device is not billed on either end. Yes, voicemail on the forwarding device is bypassed but that's irrelevant to me.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    4,761
    Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kb9nvh
    Same here in southern indiana. calls forwarded from my other family plan phone to mine are M2M
    So with the new Unity plans, lets say a call from Phone (a) an att landline calls phone (b) a cingular wireless phone which forwards to Phone (c) either another cingular wireless phone, or a att landline, cs has advised no charge on any number. Is this right?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Coast Florida
    Posts
    1,787
    Phones
    SE W518a, Sony TIPO2
    SE
    Carriers
    AT&T!
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    Perhaps your market is not yet on the uniform Cingular billing system. This comes from Cingular's Answer Center:



    If you return a call from a Cingular customer through voice mail, it no longer counts as mobile to mobile and calls to voice mail will not count as mobile to mobile no matter what number you call once Cingular implements the uniform billing system in all markets.
    Any idea to what extent this is implemented in the various markets? I received (along with many others here in HOFO) a message on my bill...oh, maybe 4-5 months ago--- or longer (time flies when having fun). It stated that calling my VM would not count as M2M. But, they still show as M2M during PEAK and N/W during N/W. I have yet to be charged for calling my VM from the handsets. [CWFL] There was a thread about this, I believe, but most of the regulars that posted they got the message never came back to post if they started getting billed or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks