Thread: will tracfone work in Dominican Republic?

Phones
    Palm Centro
    Motorola Razr
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS (SERO)
    Feedback Score

will tracfone work in Dominican Republic?

I am going to the Dominican Republic on vacation and I would like to pickup a cheap tracfone to use while I am there. Does anybody know if it works there?

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Highly doubtful. They use GSM 1800/1900, Tracfone here uses 850/1900 and does not likely have agreements with Dom. Republic providers. Your best bet is to look for a phone and prepay SIM once there if you speak the language, prepaidgsm.net lists Orange Dominicana as the only GSM prepay provider.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    CDMA Tracfones activated on Verizon will roam on Verizon Dominicana. Please be aware though that Tracfone can terminate your service while you are on vacation even if your use is not excessive as it is a violation of the TOS to use a Tracfone outside of the US.

Phones
    Palm Centro
    Motorola Razr
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS (SERO)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dd78749
    CDMA Tracfones activated on Verizon will roam on Verizon Dominicana. Please be aware though that Tracfone can terminate your service while you are on vacation even if your use is not excessive as it is a violation of the TOS to use a Tracfone outside of the US.

Do you know if it will allow you to make and recieve calls? I know in the bahamas GSM only allows you to receive calls.

Also yes, I know it will not take them to long to shut the phone off. I was in the bahamas and it only took them 5 days and the phone was shutoff so I plan on getting 2 phones in case the one gets turned off.

Also what would be a good zipcode to use on-line to order a single rate CDMA phone with tracfone?

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dustenm
    Do you know if it will allow you to make and recieve calls? I know in the bahamas GSM only allows you to receive calls.

Also yes, I know it will not take them to long to shut the phone off. I was in the bahamas and it only took them 5 days and the phone was shutoff so I plan on getting 2 phones in case the one gets turned off.

Also what would be a good zipcode to use on-line to order a single rate CDMA phone with tracfone?
    I should have stated that I don't have firsthand experience using a Verizon-activated CDMA Tracfone in the DR as I haven't been there since 1984!

My post was secondhand information gleaned from the Yahoo Tracfone Users Group. One of the users from that group posted perhaps a year ago or so that she had used her Verizon-activated CDMA Tracfone in the DR and had no problems with roaming or having her service terminated.

I do not know if that is still the case, so if you decide to purchase a CDMA Tracfone for use in the DR, do so at your own risk. I cannot confirm the validity of the information from the user on the Yahoo Tracfone Users Group with my own firsthand experience.

As for purchasing a Single Rate CDMA Tracfone online, the only one available is the LG 3280. The Nokia 2126i Single Rate Tracfone is not currently available for online purchase, as far as I know.

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They're not consistent with it, I have used a CDMA TracFone (activated on Verizon) in Canada previously (more than once) and the phone/service still works.

Verizon sold its wireless ops in the Caribbean to America Movil (TracFone's parent) some months back.
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2012.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardP
    They're not consistent with it, I have used a CDMA TracFone (activated on Verizon) in Canada previously (more than once) and the phone/service still works.
    I am well aware of this. Note in my post that I said can, not will terminate your service.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardP
    Verizon sold its wireless ops in the Caribbean to America Movil (TracFone's parent) some months back.
    I am aware of this as well. América Móvil, however, has not given free rein to roam in the Dominican Republic for Tracfone users.

Phones
    Palm Centro
    Motorola Razr
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS (SERO)
    Feedback Score
    I am well aware of this. Note in my post that I said can, not will terminate your service.

I am aware of this as well. América Móvil, however, has not given free rein to roam in the Dominican Republic for Tracfone users.

Ok, so a tracfone will not work in Dominican Republic? Or it might but not 100% sure?

Phones
    Palm Centro
    Motorola Razr
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS (SERO)
    Feedback Score
    any updates on tracfone working in dominican republic?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Still nothing. Verizon Dominicana is now Claro owned by America Movil, and they now have GSM. However, Carlos Slim doesn't seem interested in integrating (or at least interoperating) all of his phone service brands, so a TracFone won't roam on Telcel or Claro just like that.

In fact, the only reason TracFone works in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands is because AT&T has network in these islands and they are native coverage for any AT&T customer in the US with a national prepaid or postpaid plan, including native coverage for their MVNO's like TracFone. But there has not been any indication of TracFone roaming on Claro of Puerto Rico, let alone Claro of Dominican Republic.