Thread: Motorola RAZR maxx Ve: Battery Cover Removal

Feedback Score

Motorola RAZR maxx Ve: Battery Cover Removal

I posted this in another thread that was closed and would like to get some feedback, as this problem appears to be shared by others. If anyone has a better method of removing the cover without forcing it, please post here. Thanks!

Anyone else have a MAXX Ve with a difficult battery cover?

The one on mine is almost impossible to remove, and I'm afraid that the force I need to use will end up damaging the phone or marring the ruberized paint. I'm following the user guide exactly, and I can tell the phone flexes when I attempt to remove the cover.

Unfortunately, there is no latch or pin to depress in aiding removal. My guess is that the paint is causing a tight fit, but this isn't right. Guess I'll be visiting the VerizonWireless store for a replacement. One suggestion that didn't work for me was to push up by the M logo on the back cover.

A shame as everything else about the phone is great. Solidly built, excellent call quality, immediately paired with my BT device, voice dialing was accurate and fast, and the phone worked superbly in transferring music from the PC with the VW SW and drivers.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Frost White
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just turn the phone over and rest my fingers on the front screen and use both my thumbs and kinda push in and up on the motorola logo on the back and it slides right off... it is damn tight... but this method for me is the only sure fire way... my problem is getting the damn memory card out is a pain.... and it doesn't help much that I just cut my finger nails either... lol

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response, b&w. My phone is uncooperative with that method of cover removal. Looks like I'll be seeing my friends at the VW store this morning.

It's too nice a phone to have to use this much force in removing the cover, and while it's not something I'd need to do every day, installing a microSD or using two batteries will require cover removal more often. Appears that many MAXX's have a tight-fitting cover, but I have one that's nearly impossible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob51
    Thanks for the response, b&w. My phone is uncooperative with that method of cover removal. Looks like I'll be seeing my friends at the VW store this morning.

It's too nice a phone to have to use this much force in removing the cover, and while it's not something I'd need to do every day, installing a microSD or using two batteries will require cover removal more often. Appears that many MAXX's have a tight-fitting cover, but I have one that's nearly impossible.

Mine was also impossible to take off, I did read the instruction booklet and it showed a diagram on how to remove the battery cover and it did work but it was still hard at first but after a while I think it gets broken in because now it's been getting easier. Just follow the diagram on the booklet and put your two fingers where it shows!

Feedback Score
    Just got back from the VW store, and while the MAXX Ve is a new model with which the VW folks have little experience, they were familiar with this issue, and the first thing they said was that this was a design problem. I tried cover removal on two demo models and they were difficult but slightly easier than my phone. The store manager pulled out a new phone, and it was tough! They confirmed that I had 30 days to return the phone, so I'm going to see if Saul is right and it gets easier over time.

Problem is, and I know others have the same concern, with the clear front being a candidate for scratches from the force that must be used to remove the cover. It will be interesting to see if MOTO & VW do anything to improve this, but this is a HW problem and not something that a simple FW upgrade would fix. For now, I'll live with it.

By the way, my current method of cover removal is to grip the back of the phone (phone turned over and facing up) with my thumbs just inside of the edge on either side where the cover meets the base and push upward with my thumbs. This method gives me the most success.

Sheesh! While it appears to be a small problem, for someone needing to remove battery or microSD frequently (not unusual), the force required could loosen the hinge, misalign the camera, or damage the finish. All of which are unacceptable.

Phones
    LG Dare
    LG Orange enV (backup)
    Motorola RAZR MAXX (second backup)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I found that the easiest way to remove the battery cover was to get my nails in the crack between the bottom of the cover and the speakerphone area, then put a little pressure by pulling towards the top of the phone.

Luckily, since I don't have an SD card, I have no reason to take it off

Feedback Score
    It's a MAJOR PITA. Everyone has this problem.

Duke

Phones
    Droid
    iphone
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is a freaking problem!! I just need to get it open so i can install my SD card. Looks like after i succeed, i will never attempt to open it again!

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Whew, finally got the back off. Thanks to all the tips.

I first put my finger nail under the top left corner - with back facing you - of the cover and got it a bit loose, Then did the same with the right side. Then I put my finger nail on the right side at the bottom of the cover and got that a bit loose. And it eased off.

I think this problem is that the main holding clip is in the center bottom of very bottom of the cover. It has a little nib on it. Seems like if the nib was filed down a bit, it would be easier to remove.

But, as stated before, once it has been removed a few times, it is not as bad - still bad - but at least a little better.

Now I just have to let my finger nails grow back...

Phones
    Droid
    iphone
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Short less of smashing this thing, mine is not coming off!! I now have 3 noticeable scratches on the back just trying to remove it. Yep, i will be getting a new one from the VZ store!!

Phones
    LG Dare
    Moto Q9m (previous)
    Moto Razer MAXX VE (previous)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i was so worried about scratching or breaking mine because it was such a hassle to get off. did you try pushing in and up on the "M" on the back? that work great for me

Phones
    Droid
    iphone
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ^^^I have tried it all. My hands are red and hurting. A freakin cover should not be this hard to get off.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 (Verizon), BlackBerry Bold 9900 (AT&T)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Maybe it's water tight so that stupid water damage indicator can't turn red
    Sam K

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i use my shirt to grab the phone and the cover and it slides off nice and easy every time

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agn015
    i use my shirt to grab the phone and the cover and it slides off nice and easy every time
    Maybe you should go out and buy some more of those shirts, cut them into nice size pieces and sell them on ebay as "Maxx Ve Cover Remover.
    Or get a patent on them and sell to Verizon. This could be one heck of a nightmare for ehm, with owners having to return them to get their cards//battery changed.