Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Enabling voip sip over wifi in Dash !!

Device(s)
    Vodafone 703SHf
    Carrier(s)
    Zstar Mobile
    Feedback Score

Enabling voip sip over wifi in Dash !!

As expected, Tmobile wm6 does not have voip enabled by default.. However with the help of ppl over at xda, I was able to get it working !! Here are steps

1) app unlock your wm6 (same surrealnetwork file works in wm6)

2) Download voip cab files from xda here http://218.93.115.138/d900/patch/WM6VoIP.CAB
    and put it on your dash. then install it. You should see these files in windows folder
    # ipdialplan.xml
    # dnsapi.dll
    # voipphonecanvas.dll
    # rtcdll.dll

3) follow the steps here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299950

4) Reboot your device and Settings->Phone->Internet Calling set the option "Whenever available"

5) it takes some time for the special sip icon to appear on your phone

enjoy !!!

Device(s)
    T-Mobile branded Dash
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    thanks;
    I've bookmarked your post.

Device(s)
    Samsung E105
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

SIP Setup

Hi, I am just starting to read about VOIP/SIP and was wondering what sort of requirements there are to running VOIP on my dash besides installing the software you mention. For instance do I need an account with a SIP provider or something? Is there an advantage to this route as compared with using Skype for mobile? I have tried Skype over WiFi on my dash and the lag and echo are so bad that it is almost not useable. Is there a way to setup a VOIP service so that my dash will automatically use VOIP when WiFi is available (with normal dialing, i.e. without having to start a program for each call)?

Thanks,

Jason

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bug-me-not
    As expected, Tmobile wm6 does not have voip enabled by default.. However with the help of ppl over at xda, I was able to get it working !! Here are steps

1) app unlock your wm6 (same surrealnetwork file works in wm6)

2) Download voip cab files from xda here http://218.93.115.138/d900/patch/WM6VoIP.CAB
    and put it on your dash. then install it. You should see these files in windows folder
    # ipdialplan.xml
    # dnsapi.dll
    # voipphonecanvas.dll
    # rtcdll.dll

3) follow the steps here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299950

4) Reboot your device and Settings->Phone->Internet Calling set the option "Whenever available"

5) it takes some time for the special sip icon to appear on your phone

enjoy !!!
    What is the provisioning information to put in the xml file?

Device(s)
    Vodafone 703SHf
    Carrier(s)
    Zstar Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchos
    what sort of requirements there are to running VOIP on my dash besides installing the software you mention. For instance do I need an account with a SIP provider or something? Is there an advantage to this route as compared with using Skype for mobile? I have tried Skype over WiFi on my dash and the lag and echo are so bad that it is almost not useable. Is there a way to setup a VOIP service so that my dash will automatically use VOIP when WiFi is available (with normal dialing, i.e. without having to start a program for each call)?
    you need to have a sip account with a provider (or have your own asterisk server which in turn connects to your provider). Advantage of this over skype is that if you already have voip account for home, you can use same account from your cell. no extra charges (for both outgoing and incoming).
    the lag and echo may depend on the strength of wifi signal..
    you can set your dash to use voip whenever it is available instead of cell, but it will eat your batteries very badly. So best thing is to enable wifi to make call and then disable it after you are done.

Device(s)
    Vodafone 703SHf
    Carrier(s)
    Zstar Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep739
    What is the provisioning information to put in the xml file?
    your sip account credentials.. you need an account with some provider ..

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bug-me-not
    you need to have a sip account with a provider (or have your own asterisk server which in turn connects to your provider). Advantage of this over skype is that if you already have voip account for home, you can use same account from your cell. no extra charges (for both outgoing and incoming).
    the lag and echo may depend on the strength of wifi signal..
    you can set your dash to use voip whenever it is available instead of cell, but it will eat your batteries very badly. So best thing is to enable wifi to make call and then disable it after you are done.
    Is there any benefit to this whatsoever if I have SKYPE on my phone?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 1st Gen 2.1 fw
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    More bandwidth and most likely less latency over a standard internet connection as opposed to EDGE.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." – Al Capone

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I use WIFI with Skype. It actually sounds good. I think for my use, this would not be beneficial. Although it may be for some people.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score

Skype is not real VoIP

I tried using skype for a while as a way to make/receive calls without reception in my office...
    I bought a skype in number, and programmed my phone to "forward when unavailable" to my skype number. The concept is great (similar to UMA, when that comes out).

I have to say that although it works great on a PC, SKYPE for Windows Mobile is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE QUALITY OF A REGULAR PHONE CALL. At least, not on 200Mhz CPU's... on my 400mhz ipaq, skype was ok, but then again I was mostly talking to other skype users back then.
    It seems to be a little bit better on skype to skype, but skype to landline is just horrendous.
    The lag and echo caused normal conversation to be almost impossible, and many of my callers just hung up in frustration, later telling me that there is something seriously wrong with my "cool phone".

But, it was all I had since there was not a decent smartphone-compatible SIP VOIP application.

SIP, by the way, is industry standard- its what all the big players use (like Vonage and the like), so there is much more quality of service to be a phone. People trust this technology to be landline replacements, and it delivers.
    Skype is more for novelty. It works, and its cheap, but I wouldn't give out my Skype-In number for business contacts. I would, however, give out my SIP account with Broadvoice, which appears on my business cards currently and operates as my home business phone line.

Its good to see people getting VOIP enabled on WM6- that's one of the things I was excited to try.
    However, in the mean time I've found a WM5 compatible program called Go-Sip, which actually works well on my SDA. (free, go-sip.com, it used to be all in french, but now an English version is available)
    I even tried it over Edge (it wasn't so reliable over edge, so I don't recommend it... but the point is, its effecient enough to sorta work, imagine how well it works with WiFi)!

Those of you looking for SIP accounts:
    I found some voip company called freedigits.com that only charges for outgoing minutes, and will give you a free number! Problem is, its based in Iowa, so you are limited to an Iowa area code. I don't mind, because I wanted a cheap SIP line to use when I don't have reception (I have a real SIP VOIP line that is reserved for business, as I mentioned earlier). The idea is, forward calls when unavailable to this SIP number, get them on your phone over wifi. Simple! And no one will ever see the Iowa number because they are calling your regular phone number!

Just some interesting things to try...
    I hope that clears up why any of you should be interested in this.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just a note. The Go-SIP software caused my WM6 Dash to go in an infinite reboot loop w/ the storage card installed. Once the software was removed the phone booted normally.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Weird.
    But why would you install Go-Sip with WM6? No one said it was compatible with WM6... their website states WM2003 and WM5.

Besides, I thought this thread was discussing how WM6 already has SIP functionality built in... why would you try a third party app?

I merely offered Go-Sip as an alternative for those of us with WM5 that would like VoIP access.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe
    Weird.
    But why would you install Go-Sip with WM6? No one said it was compatible with WM6... their website states WM2003 and WM5.

Besides, I thought this thread was discussing how WM6 already has SIP functionality built in... why would you try a third party app?

I merely offered Go-Sip as an alternative for those of us with WM5 that would like VoIP access.
    The T-Mobile WM6 ROM doesn't include Internet Calling by default which is whi I installed the software. Once I removed the Go-Sip Software and installed the cab to add the Internet Calling option on the Device it went into that loop again. I had to restore w/ Sprite to get the phone back in a stable state.

Currently WMZip, Go-Sip & WM6VoIP.CAB caused reboot loops on my device.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    sounds like something is wrong with your phone...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That could be true but im leaning toward program incompatability w/ the new OS. Same Software (WMZip), Same Device, Different OS. Trouble lies w/ the OS or the Software. My device only reboots like that when any of the three programs are installed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast