Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Enabling voip sip over wifi in Dash !!

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know some good SIP's that are extremely cheap (other than the one above)?? I'm willing to test it.. but honestly, I have no idea how to do it.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    If you're just going to test it, I'd recommend first using the one posted above because, as I said, its FREE!
    Then if you like it, switch to another one that has a local number or something and costs something.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    You know... I tried installing it (and usually I am good with these things). I followed the steps. But for the love of god... I can NOT get the damn Prov0SIPSettings file to show up in the VoIP directory... even if I use his dummy file.

Any ideas?

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    OK.. I am beginning to get it to work.. the provision file still does not appear.. which is weird.. but my homescreen now says searching... and when I go to dial, is says network is not reachable... anyone know the exct variables needed for the _setup.xml file for talkdigits?

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep739
    OK.. I am beginning to get it to work.. the provision file still does not appear.. which is weird.. but my homescreen now says searching... and when I go to dial, is says network is not reachable... anyone know the exct variables needed for the _setup.xml file for talkdigits?
    I don't have wm6 so I can't tell you what it should look like, but somewhere on freedigits site it will tell you the settings to put into a softphone.
    just find the relevant fields.
    I know the have an example for setting it up with xten, a popular desktop based sip app.

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    OK... so I got it to work. I admit- this is better than skype. No lag at all.

Two issues, though. Volume is lower than it should be. And... for some reason, after a while of being inactive, it turns itself off- so you cant get incoming calls. That sort of defeats the purpose. I do have to say, this would definitely be better than any UMA service.

Any cheap SIP services? I am using freedigits... which is free incoming.

Device(s)
    Vodafone 703SHf
    Carrier(s)
    Zstar Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep739
    You know... I tried installing it (and usually I am good with these things). I followed the steps. But for the love of god... I can NOT get the damn Prov0SIPSettings file to show up in the VoIP directory... even if I use his dummy file.

Any ideas?
    that file is hidden.. so if you check using explorer in dash you won't see that.. however if you check using your computer over active sync then you will see that file..

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    yea... i found it...

and i fixed the volume problem... now, all I need to do is figure out how to get the thing to stop recieving calls after a few minutes if a connection is not active. if i can figure that out, i will be able to forward calls to my voip number when i am low on minutes and it would be reliable.

how sweet would that be?

while this is way more difficult to set up than skype, assuming I can get this puppy to quit dropping, this will be far better than skype. no doubt.

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Apparently, there is a problem with the signal being dropped when system goes into stand by... I dont think it has been solved yet. This pretty much renders it useless.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    LOL...
    that would most likely be your wireless settings conserving power.
    Ever notice that your WiFi connection only stays on when the device is being used?

dont think it has been solved yet.

This is so simple to fix- Why don't you ask instead of jumping to the "unsolvable" conclusion?
    Go into your wireless settings, power mode, and unclick the option to turn off WiFi after screen has turned off. Assuming they didn't move this around in WM6, that should be it!

I had the same problem the first few times I had Voip conversations longer than 5 min... suddenly it would die, and I'd check the phone and find that the Wifi had turned itself off because the screen went into standby.
    I can leave it on now for hours at a time in my pocket, and my voip calls work just fine using Go-Sip (still using WM5).
    Just keep an eye on your battery life after doing that. It'll die much faster when the WiFi is forced to stay on.
    Last edited by Dishe; 05-04-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe
    LOL...
    that would most likely be your wireless settings conserving power.
    Ever notice that your WiFi connection only stays on when the device is being used?

This is so simple to fix- Why don't you ask instead of jumping to the "unsolvable" conclusion?
    Go into your wireless settings, power mode, and unclick the option to turn off WiFi after screen has turned off. Assuming they didn't move this around in WM6, that should be it!

I had the same problem the first few times I had Voip conversations longer than 5 min... suddenly it would die, and I'd check the phone and find that the Wifi had turned itself off because the screen went into standby.
    I can leave it on now for hours at a time in my pocket, and my voip calls work just fine using Go-Sip (still using WM5).
    Just keep an eye on your battery life after doing that. It'll die much faster when the WiFi is forced to stay on.
    Dishe-

Go and read the forum that this was originally posted in on the xda developers site. It has nothing to do with the WIFI disabling. I am able to keep my WIFI active, but the actual connection to the SIP drops.. thus, you cant get calls unless you make a call to make it active again.

TONS of people are having this problem and, yes, of yet- there is no fix for WM6. So that is why I say it was unsolved.

So, to more clearly explain it- my WIFI does not disconnect when I am in a call... it works great. My actual calls are flawless. It is when I am not on a call that for some reason SIP drops its connection.

If you dont believe me, read their forum.

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    It seems like not as many people are interested in this topics, but I figured if you are, it might be worth a read.

Basically, I recommend you use this service with talkdigits. If you use the sign up code 'free minutes', you will get 200 minutes of outgoing calls. Incoming are free. I can send you my config files to make it work. The directions on the developers site does not take into account our country code dialing. If you dial 202 111 1111, it will put a 9 in front of you calls. So you have to reconfig one of the files this installs on your phone.

Lastly, this is not a good service if you are hoping to get incoming calls. If someone calls you on your regular cell, you can always say 'call me on this number' and then turn on your talkdigits number.

The reason for this is what I said above- it is a KNOWN problem that WM6 will drop the SIP. It wont drop the WIFI signal (that will stay active.) No matter how you change your power settings on your phone, SIP will still not stay connected, it is strange.

Either way, though, this is great for outgoing calls. Freedigits only charges like 1 cent a minute after you run out of your 3+ hours of free outgoing calls.

Feedback Score
    sigep739, do you mind to PM me your config file? TIA

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 1st Gen 2.1 fw
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here's my T-Mobile Default Blue home screent w/ the Internet Calling Plugin as well as the live search plugin. The Calendar plugin has been consolidated to fit on one line w/ the time/date on the left and the subject near the center.

T-Mobile Default Blue Edited Plugin
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." – Al Capone

Device(s)
    Dash
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

viatalk sip settings

Hello
    I've been trying for the past three weeks to get wm6 to work with my voIP provider. I've obtain my credentials from my voIP provider, followed the instructions on the xda site, and still unable to get it to work.
    Any info or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast