Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 76

Thread: Enabling voip sip over wifi in Dash !!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    7th Ward - New Orleans
    Posts
    1,541
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 1st Gen 2.1 fw
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's hit and miss. Sigep739 got his to work on the Dash w/ WM6 but I cannot get it to work on Mine. He sent me his setup.xml file, I edited it reinstalled VoIP cab and everything else and all I could get was Internet Calling: Available. I gave up on it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." – Al Capone

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    724
    Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yea... honestly, if you have the Dash- don't even bother. It doesnt work good enough to be used for incoming calls. And since most VOIPs only allow incoming calls to be free, it really is not worth it.

    What happens (and again, this is a known problem on the XDA site) is that the Dash will drop your SIP connection after about 1 minute of inactivity. Even if your WIFI connection is still active, the SIP connection, for some reason, will go away and it wont work again until you use it to make an outgoing call. This essentially renders it unuseable for incoming calls.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    I followed the instructions but can't get the myVoIPsettings.cab file to install on my Dash with WM6--I get an error message saying that it can't be installed because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate.
    I made two versions, one with cabarc and one with makecab, but both have the same problem.
    Never mind--I ran AppUnlock and then the cab installed OK.
    Last edited by jkrauss; 05-19-2007 at 10:03 PM.
    I can look without dialing

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1
    Device(s)
    Eten X500
    Carrier(s)
    Navigata
    Feedback Score
    0

    sip settings Webcall by Navigata

    I am looking for the sip settings from the sip provider Webcall by Navigata
    using Eten X500 WM6. I've installed the WM6 SIP Cab from the FTP.

    (ftp://xda:[email protected]/WM6VoIP.CAB)

    To set up xml file I am using WM6 SIP Config Tool from the Ftp.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?
    t=303493&highlight=voip+setup

    I spoke to Webcall Technical Support, they provided me my user name and password, but they don't know the sip server address of Webcall!!!
    I tried sipproxy1.sasktel.com but with this setting you see on today screen searching and after 1 min. no service
    Is there anybody who has this set up with Webcall working on WM6?
    I would appreciate it if you could give me anymore information.

    Jaco
    Last edited by zwanenburg; 05-20-2007 at 11:44 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    724
    Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zwanenburg
    I am looking for the sip settings from the sip provider Webcall by Navigata
    using Eten X500 WM6. I've installed the WM6 SIP Cab from the FTP.

    (ftp://xda:[email protected]/WM6VoIP.CAB)

    To set up xml file I am using WM6 SIP Config Tool from the Ftp.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?
    t=303493&highlight=voip+setup

    I spoke to Webcall Technical Support, they provided me my user name and password, but they don't know the sip server address of Webcall!!!
    I tried sipproxy1.sasktel.com but with this setting you see on today screen searching and after 1 min. no service
    Is there anybody who has this set up with Webcall working on WM6?
    I would appreciate it if you could give me anymore information.

    Jaco
    1) If they dont know their own sip server address, then get a new VOIP provider.. that is horrible! ask them their 'proxy' address. If they know that, then it should help because it is usually the same.

    2) The SIP config tool is only supposed to work for PPCs- not smartphones. So if you are using a Dash, I dont think it is going to work.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrauss
    I followed the instructions but can't get the myVoIPsettings.cab file to install on my Dash with WM6--I get an error message saying that it can't be installed because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate.
    I made two versions, one with cabarc and one with makecab, but both have the same problem.
    Never mind--I ran AppUnlock and then the cab installed OK.
    Yeah, app unlock is the trick there.

    So I have this all setup and working on my Wing. I'm using it with my AVAYA SIP Server at the office. Calls are working great. I can cruise around my office buildings and make calls to any extension in the office, something I've wanted to do for a long time with my blackberry and RIM has yet to release a GSM/ WiFi/ VoIP device.

    I do have one problem though that needs to be solved. My wing has VERY LOW volume on a SIP call. I would say some people couldn't even hear it, it's that low.

    Any suggestions on how to get that fixed?

    Oh and BOO!! to T-Mo for crippling the Wing in the first place!! (no native VoIP)

    Thanks!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    7th Ward - New Orleans
    Posts
    1,541
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 1st Gen 2.1 fw
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    They'd be stupid to include VoIP w/ their ROMs. That would take business away from them. They want you to use your plan minutes. The less plan minutes you use the more likely you are to switch to a lower priced plan.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    They are very narrow minded IMO.

    I do not have cell coverage at my office. The buildings are like fort knox in terms of RF signal.

    I do have a WLAN and a VoIP/ SIP Phone system so any device that lets me use it where and when I need it adds value to my people that are on the go and not at their desks.

    The US cellular companies need to stop being greedy and look at the big picture. The European and Asian carriers don't seem to have a problem with it. They sell dual mode phones all day long and are still making money.

    WiFi doesn't exist on the street or in my car so I pay. It does exist in most homes. Why would I use a cell phone, $$$, when I can use my land line for free? Add VoIP on my cell phone and now that device adds value in my home as well (assuming you have a VoIP Provider).

    One device that works at home (free), the office (free) and on the road ($$$). That's the solution IMO.


    So anyone care to answer my low volume issue?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    537
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    0
    My guess (and yes its only a guess) is they are working on a VOIP update that will work with @home. It would make sense since they are about to roll it out nationwide....

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    724
    Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jamssx
    My guess (and yes its only a guess) is they are working on a VOIP update that will work with @home. It would make sense since they are about to roll it out nationwide....
    @home is not VOIP. It is a different technology that may or may not be able to work on many of the current phones. Their WM phones have basically always been without the SIP files. It is crap.

    There is definitely truth to them doing it because it would compete with their @home. Why would anyone in their right mind pay $20/mo for @home when they could get incoming voip free and outgoing voip for pennies.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,969
    Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep739
    @home is not VOIP. It is a different technology that may or may not be able to work on many of the current phones. Their WM phones have basically always been without the SIP files. It is crap.

    There is definitely truth to them doing it because it would compete with their @home. Why would anyone in their right mind pay $20/mo for @home when they could get incoming voip free and outgoing voip for pennies.
    Because it would be one number.

    I'm not saying T-mobile wouldn't want to disable VOIP (surely they'd rather you don't have the option!), but even so, most people would rather pay for their @home service because its less complex.

    I have a voip app running on my SDA, with a free incoming SIP number based in another state (I mentioned this earlier on this thread, I think).
    This is great when people call me because I can forward my t-mo number to this voip one, but I can't call people back because they won't recognize the caller ID. I'd rather my voip and cell be the same number, but the only way this will work is if T-mo rolls out @home. Heck, I might pay for it if they make it available on my device.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    537
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep739
    @home is not VOIP. It is a different technology that may or may not be able to work on many of the current phones. Their WM phones have basically always been without the SIP files. It is crap.

    There is definitely truth to them doing it because it would compete with their @home. Why would anyone in their right mind pay $20/mo for @home when they could get incoming voip free and outgoing voip for pennies.
    It's VOIP with soft handoff to/from GSM. To do this both the VOIP components and the GSM phone would need to be significantly modified, but that would definately be to their advantage if they want it to take off. However as you say, you can achieve almost everything but the soft handoff just by adding a working VOIP component.... (Give out VOIP number, VOIP unavailable auto forward to cell)

    Anyway now that they have invested in Jajah http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6699711.stm one hopes we will see more VOIP products. BTW towards the end of that article they mention the Wing making VOIP calls....

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    7th Ward - New Orleans
    Posts
    1,541
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 1st Gen 2.1 fw
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Cellular companies are working on Technology called Fixed Mobile Convergence. This will allow VoIP and your cellular service to seamlessly hand off a VoIP call to Cell & vise versa among other things. Google it.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,969
    Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know.
    We've been discussing this for over a year here in the T-mo forum. Although, we know it as UMA, or Unlicensed Mobile Access.

    That's what @home is.

    Fixed Mobile Convergence is a fancy term for how UMA works with our current GSM setup.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    7th Ward - New Orleans
    Posts
    1,541
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 1st Gen 2.1 fw
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I noticed people referring to UMA but never bothered to look it up. Thanks for the info Dishe. It'll be sweet when it rolls out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks